What's new

Lets have our first PIF to kick of the new subforum- SOTD CONTEST

Yesterday (Wednesday), I used my older GEM Damaskeene with the longer handle. These even have the stropper attachment hidden inside the handle that fit these early single edge blades as you see in the first picture. For those of you who have a compendium, does it say anything about when these stopped being produced for the shorter-handled models? I used the Tabac shave soap with the J Peterman brush, this is one of the old solid brass J Peterman shave brushes made 15 or so years ago (now their brush handles are wood). This brush is really heavy and has a nice badger knot, a lucky find of mine in a local antique store. Also from a local thrift store I found this handmade shave mug. The Tabac makes a really nice thick lather and was a pleasure with this old Damaskeene razor. Since I don't have any TABAC after-shave, I used the closest thing I had, the Madame Scodioli Laudanum (Tobacco and Black Tea) aftershave. Enjoyable shave.

$SOTD Damaskeene 004.jpg

$SOTD Damaskeene 009.jpg

Nothing special today, just trying to establish the longevity of Gem Blue Star blades.

$100_0791.jpg

This blade is still going strong after 6 shaves, not bad.

$100_0795.jpg

The grotty looking patina these blades almost instantly acquire turns off a lot of users I'm sure!

$100_0796.jpg

Even the most assiduous drying and oiling doesn't prevent the sides of the blades from oxidizing, while the edge bevel remains corrosion-free, go figure.

$100_0802.jpg

I's likes me some carbon steel blades! Dey'un'll rust a might on ya, but 'dey cut stuff mo' betta' den thare newfangled "stainless steel!"

Last edited:
Today I used my G2 Schick injector, this is the one that the Christmas Schick ads of 1946 advertised as having the "14 Karat gold-filled handle", apparently was only available in Christmas of '46. I again used the brass-handled J Peterman badger brush, this time with Al's Calypso Bomb (Bay Rum) shave cream and used the handmade shave mug I found in a local thrift store for a quarter I think. Finished it off with Col. Conk Bay Rum aftershave. When I go for awhile without using a Schick injector, I'm always surprised what a smooth shave it is. Used a Schick Platinum Plus blade, nice close shave.

$SOTD DAMASKEENE and G2 Schick 022.jpg

$SOTD DAMASKEENE and G2 Schick 017.jpg

$SOTD DAMASKEENE and G2 Schick 019.jpg

Thank you all for your contributions- there are certainly a great set of photos in this thread.

The poll to select our two winners has been created here so please pop over, cast your vote and add your comments to the new thread.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Hear Ye, Hear Ye, Hear Ye!

The winners of the PIF have been selected by voting in the PIF Poll;

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/294979-SE-Razor-SOTD-Contest-Poll

Congrats to First Place Winner Daniel Plainview with "Smooth Enough To Kiss"

And Congrats to Second Place Winner cpool222 with "Ship & Sandal"

brianw will be contacting you fellows via PM.

Here's a hearty Congrats to all the entrants for owning some excellent Single Edge Eye Candy.

And really - if you think about it;

With the opening of the Single Edge Safety razor subforum, all of us are truly winners here!

A very huge thank you to BrianW for offering such a great PIF, thank you for all that voted, and thank you Badger and Blade!!!

Congrats Bro!! Very nice PIF set up by Brian, and what a cool way to start the SE forum!! So great SOTD photos in this thread!!

I second that! Thanks BrianW and thanks to all the single-edge lovers!!! We've wanted a separate single-edge sub-forum for awhile now, maybe we'll start converting the DE guys one at a time, right?? :a29:

Glad it arrived Arley. Youse did some polishing on that !!!!!

I did...I could not help myself, I seen tarnish and the Marine in me could not see to see that beautiful brass shine just lay underneath it.

Part of me was like "no, do not touch it", and the other part of me was like "you must polish, you must polish".

Wow!!! That looks SWEET!!! I love that little GEM truck you have behind it....awesome tie in with the new razor..Congrats Bro and great PIF Brian!!!

I received my Junior from Brian in the mail yesterday, I'll do my best to get pictures of it posted tonight. Thanks B&B and thanks to all you guys (and gals :thumbup1: ) who took the time to vote.

Top Bottom