What's new

Lets have our first PIF to kick of the new subforum- SOTD CONTEST

Today I used my British Ever-Ready 1912, Geo. Trumper's Rose shave soap, Old Spice mug with vintage badger Ever-Ready brush and D.R. Harris Pink aftershave lotion. Very enjoyable shave. The British 1912 does seem more aggressive than the US 1912's to me. Used the GEM Blue Star carbon steel blade again... again, two passes with this razor took care of it.

$Aquarium vacation pics 376.jpg

$Aquarium vacation pics 377.jpg

$Aquarium vacation pics 378.jpg

Last edited:
For the "official" start of summer, I chose to use the Sir Irisch Moos, the British Ever Ready 1912 with a GEM Pella blade, and the RV 2011 B&B LE.

Here is a photo:

$SOTD526a.jpg

Because today was warm, I chose to use Osage Rub as the After Shave, and thoroughly enjoyed the bone chilling cold blast. It was a quick shave, and at least DFS. I'm still mostly smooth and can only feel a slight scruff along the jaw line, even though I shaved in the morning.

Today I used my Ever-Ready Streamline, Geo. Trumper's Rose shave soap, Old Spice mug with vintage badger Ever-Ready brush and D.R. Harris Pink aftershave lotion. Very enjoyable shave. Even though the Streamline is marked as a 1912, it does seem more aggressive than other 1912's. Used the GEM Blue Star carbon steel blade again... again, two passes with this aggressive razor took care of it.

View attachment 246494

View attachment 246495

View attachment 246496

That is not a Ever Ready Streamline my friend, that is an English aluminum Ever Ready handle and ER 1912 head. ER had different handles, even the hexagonal ones are different than the US versions- they almost have "peaks" on the angles and different knurling patterns versus the common chain link GEM pattern.

Sorry, I stand corrected... got it in with other razors and thought it was a Streamline and never looked closely enough to see the difference. Are you saying that it's a Frankenrazor or just that that handle came with a 1912 head? Previous post corrected. Thanks

Last edited:
4 more days till the contest closes.... who will be the lucky winners of those "juniors" ??? Keep 'em coming !!!!

Sorry, I stand corrected... got it in with other razors and thought it was a Streamline and never looked closely enough to see the difference. Are you saying that it's a Frankenrazor or just that that handle came with a 1912 head? Thanks
No, it's not a Frankenrazor, it came like that from ER with the 1912 style head as you have pictured. I prefer the handle you have to the hexagonal ones. Streamline has a thick, heavy chrome plated brass blade bed that was cast instead of the stamped 1912 frame.

Today I used my British Ever-Ready 1912, Geo. Trumper's Rose shave soap, Old Spice mug with vintage badger Ever-Ready brush and D.R. Harris Pink aftershave lotion. Very enjoyable shave. The British 1912 does seem more aggressive than the US 1912's to me. Used the GEM Blue Star carbon steel blade again... again, two passes with this razor took care of it.

That is not a Ever Ready Streamline my friend, that is an English aluminum Ever Ready handle and ER 1912 head. ER had different handles, even the hexagonal ones are different than the US versions- they almost have "peaks" on the angles and different knurling patterns versus the common chain link GEM pattern.

I had no idea that there were aluminum handled ERs - thats pretty cool - and seems more unusual - at least I haven't seen one before that I know of. Keeper!

-jim

Yesterday, I used my favorite lather-catcher; in my opinion, it's the coolest, prettiest razor I own. I had a Zinn GEM lather catcher that had plating that was quite worn, and I had Bob (cooncat Bob) at Bob's Razor Works make this handle for it that is a larger metal replica of the shorter handled wooden handles on some of these old lather-catchers, and then had him replate the head for me so it would match the handle. This is just about the perfect match for me as I love the heavy feel of this handle along with the great shave of these Zinn GEM lather-catchers. I used a GEM Personna blade (the Walgreen's type) and the Crabtree & Evelyn Sandalwood shave soap with an Old Spice mug and the vintage pure badger Every-Ready K40 brush , and got as good of a shave as I could dream of. Then used the Crabtree & Evelyn Sandalwood aftershave balm (if anyone has a bottle of this that you're tired of, PM me :) Pure enjoyment :)

$SOTD May 27, 2012 CCBob SE 023.jpg

$SOTD May 27, 2012 CCBob SE 027.jpg

$SOTD May 27, 2012 CCBob SE 031.jpg

$SOTD May 27, 2012 CCBob SE 042.jpg

$SOTD May 27, 2012 CCBob SE 046.jpg

Last edited:
$1912 SE Razor.jpg This was my last shave with the GEM 1912 that is part of Dave's Pass Around. a lovely razor that opened my eyes to the awesomeness of SE razors. the shave was my typical set up of proraso pre-shave, proraso shaving cream, my brush from Larry at Whipped Dog, followed by alum, witch hazel, and then clubman!

On Monday, I used My oldest looking Valet Auto-Strop razor with one of the modern Feather blades that fit these old AutoStrop razors. I even stropped the blade a few times with the old Valet AutoStrop strop :) just for fun. I used a vintage Ever-Ready Pure Badger PB1000 brush with the Madame Scodioli Laudanum (tobacco & black tea fragrance) shave soap (which, in my opinion, is the most masculine fragrance of them all, very rich and full). I used this old 2-piece milk glass and pewter shave mug that I was told was from the 1800s (have no idea if that's true). Then finished it off with the Madame Scodioli Laudanum aftershave, which has quite a bit of Witch Hazel, so it's soothing to the face, but the Laudanum scent lingers well. These old AutoStrop razors give a very good, close shave with the single-edge Feather blades. It's a different, but enjoyable single-edge experience. You have to experiment a bit with the angle of the razor as it's different than other single edge razors. You need to try one if you haven't.

$SOTD May 29, 2012 001.jpg

$SOTD May 29, 2012 007.jpg

$SOTD May 29, 2012 010.jpg

Last edited:
proxy.php

Razor: GEM 1912 Damaskeene
Blade: CVS Carbon (7)
Soap: VDH and KMF
Brush: Flat Top Pure Badger
AS: Clubman

Brush allowed to soak in ice water while I took my usual tepid water shower. An überlather was built with 10 swirls of VDH on a pure badger flatop brush mixed with one pump of KMF.

Cold water rinse of razor for three passes and some light buffing on neck. Cold water final rinse, alum applied to face (no burn) and finished with Clubman.

Close to BBS, which is good enough for me.

Yesterday (Tuesday) I got out my other two favorite lather-catchers. The longer one in the pictures will only work with the non-disposable old wedge blades as you see lying on the counter. I used this one for a couple of strokes just for auld lange syne, but I haven't had it professionally sharpened yet, so it's a little rough and won't shave closely (I need to remember which B&B member sharpens these old wedge blades). The shorter razor is named "The New GEM Safety Razor", the earliest patent date on it is 1898, the latest is 1901 (for England and USA). This one works with wedge and disposable single-edge blades, so I completed the rest of the shave with it using a GEM Blue Star carbon steel blade(Tom's favorite) and it gives a very good, close shave. It's pretty aggressive, so you have to respect it and not get in a hurry. I used the vintage boar brush in the picture (if it ever had a brand name, it's worn off now), I love the colors on this old brush and would love to find a B&B member who would re-knot it for me in trade for some other shaving stuff (razors, soaps, brush handles, etc.)... any takers?? :) I used this great Trumper's Rose soap in this Old Spice mug. I finished it off with the Bulgarian Rose after-shave. A very enjoyable SE shave (the strictly DE guys have no idea what they're missing, right?? :)

$SOTD May 29, 2012 013.jpg

$SOTD May 29, 2012 023.jpg

$SOTD May 29, 2012 018.jpg

$SOTD May 29, 2012 029.jpg

Last edited:
Razor: Gem Clog-Pruf
Blade: Gem Blue Star
Soap: VDH DeLuxe
Astringent: Dickinsons WH
Aftershave: Aqua Velva

This place is getting to me, I tell you! I had gotten a quite good shave about 18 hours ago, and wasn't "due" until supper time again. But I couldn't wait. Interestingly, the sound effects are muted (WTG) when the stubble is short, although XTG is still plenty noisy. I think I'm getting closer to mastery of these machines on the end of my chin. It was closer than ever to being good in that problem area (for me, with SEs).

$Gem Clog-Pruf Setup.jpg

Incidentally, the price sticker on the Aqua Velva (from Kroger) says $2.15

Last edited:
B&B friends,
I certainly didn't know when I posted this two days ago that our friend Bob Smith had passed away. What a loss to our community of razor collectors! We'll certainly keep Bob's family in our prayers and thoughts. This razor will always have a sentimental value to me now. I had Bob make keys for my Psycho razors on three different occasions, and it was on this last occasion that I had him to make this beautiful handle for me for my lather-catcher along with the last Psycho keys. I suspect that this razor may well have been the last or one of the last that Bob made as I just looked at the box he sent them in, and it was dated 3-31-12 and Bob's passing was on 4-5-12. In his communications with me, he was always a gentleman and always treated me fairly. Rest in peace, Bob.

Yesterday, I used my favorite lather-catcher; in my opinion, it's the coolest, prettiest razor I own. I had a Zinn GEM lather catcher that had plating that was quite worn, and I had Bob (cooncat Bob) at Bob's Razor Works make this handle for it that is a larger metal replica of the shorter handled wooden handles on some of these old lather-catchers, and then had him replate the head for me so it would match the handle. This is just about the perfect match for me as I love the heavy feel of this handle along with the great shave of these Zinn GEM lather-catchers. I used a GEM Personna blade (the Walgreen's type) and the Crabtree & Evelyn Sandalwood shave soap with an Old Spice mug and the vintage pure badger Every-Ready K40 brush , and got as good of a shave as I could dream of. Then used the Crabtree & Evelyn Sandalwood aftershave balm (if anyone has a bottle of this that you're tired of, PM me :) Pure enjoyment :)

View attachment 246979

View attachment 246980

View attachment 246981

View attachment 246982

View attachment 246983

Top Bottom