What's new

Left hand, right hand

Do you switch hands when shaving each side of your face?

• Yes, I alternate left and right hands.

Votes: 22 71.0%
  • No, I just change grips if I need to.

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • I have three hands and the one in the middle can do the lot.

Votes: 2 6.5%

• Total voters
So having seen videos of people doing this, I recently tried using my left hand to hold the razor when shaving the left side of my face (I'm a rightie). First time I tried it was pretty terrifying, so I just did the bit below my sideburn. Now I can do most of the left side of my face as well as or better than trying with my right hand - the angles just work better for some spots.

What's the consensus, do folks generally switch hands or stick with their dominant hand?

I'm a drummer. Two handed shaving was not hard to pick up. Razors are just sticks with an edge... and, the feedback when you mess up is attention getting... :jump:

For razors I usually use my dominant/left hand.
I switch hands. I have always done so with tools, like screwdrivers.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, I pretty much use whichever hand is more convenient for tools. Sometimes using your dominant hand is a hassle.

I use my left hand going with the grain on the left side of my face. Start slow and build the muscle memory, It gets easier.

proxy.php

At first, I stuck with my dominant, right hand but eventually I realized my left hand was perfectly functional and may even help get those areas my right hand could not...well not comfortably or easily.

Much sweating at first but soon the left hand became more steady and wound up giving me fewer nicks than my right hand. No doubt I was a bit overly confident with my right hand. That has since been tamed.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I’m left handed to the extreme, difficulty with cursive writing, turning nuts on bolts the wrong way, zero sense of direction etc. However, I’ve managed shaving with both hands quite well. Just keep at and you will manage quickly enough. Actually, I’ve never figured out how to do it single handed.

I'm extremely uncoordinated with the left hand so in the interest of safety I only use the right.

Love the fugitive reference
Thanks man, I figured you’d get or you wouldn’t :). I’m like you, “in the interest of safety...”. Lol. Classic.

At first, I stuck with my dominant, right hand but eventually I realized my left hand was perfectly functional and may even help get those areas my right hand could not...well not comfortably or easily.

Much sweating at first but soon the left hand became more steady and wound up giving me fewer nicks than my right hand. No doubt I was a bit overly confident with my right hand. That has since been tamed.

I was always a little jealous when you said you mastered the left hand - especially when I started using a Kami. You are going to be SO glad you took the time when you get yours!

Dang I’m jealous! How did I get started back on this DE kick anyways lol?

At first I only shaved with my dominant hand, but then forced myself to shave with both hands like I’ve seen in videos and I must say , it only took me a few shaves to pick it up . It wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be and I’m glad I can comfortably shave with both now . It really makes shaving for me much easier being able to use both hands in many situations .

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I’m left handed to the extreme, difficulty with cursive writing, turning nuts on bolts the wrong way, zero sense of direction etc. However, I’ve managed shaving with both hands quite well. Just keep at and you will manage quickly enough. Actually, I’ve never figured out how to do it single handed.
Your post reminded me of my dad, so thank you for that. Which leads me to ask: how many times have you sawn through the electrical cord with a circular saw? When my dad and I built our back room he bought a brand new saw, and within a half hour he cut through the cord. Electrical taped it together, and before the end of the day he did it again! As I recall I learned some new cuss words that day, twice!

Right handed with very dumb left hand and thought it impossible to even try shaving left handed, until I did. It was a surprise to see how quick I was able to get very good with the left without thinking about it. Using both hands to shave IMO is a must and will greatly improve your shaves.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Your post reminded me of my dad, so thank you for that. Which leads me to ask: how many times have you sawn through the electrical cord with a circular saw? When my dad and I built our back room he bought a brand new saw, and within a half hour he cut through the cord. Electrical taped it together, and before the end of the day he did it again! As I recall I learned some new cuss words that day, twice!
I’ve never done that but have cut the cord on a hedge trimmer. I have gotten lost on a subway though.

Top Bottom