What's new

Le Pere Lucien Lid Stuck

Of the 5 which scent is your favorite? Very nice collection, btw!
Thanks, I waited all afternoon for someone to ask 😔.

I also have MdC Fougère and LPL Rose Pushkar from last month.

Both fougères, slight preference for LPL, it’s a bit sharper and edgier.

LPL Rose, very intense, not pretty, sort of biological if this makes any sense, almost sickening in a fascinating way. Other roses I tried in the past were nice, floral, but this Pushkar is something else. Haven’t tried MdC Rose but I bet it’s more tame, but probably most wonderful. St James of London has a delightful Lavender & Geranium.

LPL Narcisse is a surprise. Reminds me a bit of DR Harris Marlborough. Creamy floral sawdust sandalwood. Classy.

Oud Neroli sort of medicinal orange. Not the citrus I was expecting, more complex. I think I’ll cultivate an appreciation with use. MdC Agrumes and LPL Italian Barbershop are next on my shopping list.

MdC Original, on the medicinal spectrum, like an earthy complex Proraso. I like that.

LPL Vetiver, in-your-face tarred rope charred wood. Like Rose de Pushkar, I don’t think you’ll get a blunt vetiver like this anywhere else. In no rush to try MdC Vetiver for now.

Overall I like Le Père Lucien, softer cream easier to scoop out, intense edgy natural fragrances, matching high alcohol aftershaves.

Martin de Candre might be a little more polished in general, clean orderly selection.

Both have strong fragrances that linger on shaving brush for days, more than anything I tried before (which is almost everything). A bit more expensive per shave than Proraso, but not that much. A bit better shave too, but Proraso works very well, it’s the same stearic acid soap after all.

Thanks, I waited all afternoon for someone to ask 😔.

I also have MdC Fougère and LPL Rose Pushkar from last month.

Both fougères, slight preference for LPL, it’s a bit sharper and edgier.

LPL Rose, very intense, not pretty, sort of biological if this makes any sense, almost sickening in a fascinating way. Other roses I tried in the past were nice, floral, but this Pushkar is something else. Haven’t tried MdC Rose but I bet it’s more tame, but probably most wonderful. St James of London has a delightful Lavender & Geranium.

LPL Narcisse is a surprise. Reminds me a bit of DR Harris Marlborough. Creamy floral sawdust sandalwood. Classy.

Oud Neroli sort of medicinal orange. Not the citrus I was expecting, more complex. I think I’ll cultivate an appreciation with use. MdC Agrumes and LPL Italian Barbershop are next on my shopping list.

MdC Original, on the medicinal spectrum, like an earthy complex Proraso. I like that.

LPL Vetiver, in-your-face tarred rope charred wood. Like Rose de Pushkar, I don’t think you’ll get a blunt vetiver like this anywhere else. In no rush to try MdC Vetiver for now.

Overall I like Le Père Lucien, softer cream easier to scoop out, intense edgy natural fragrances, matching high alcohol aftershaves.

Martin de Candre might be a little more polished in general, clean orderly selection.

Both have strong fragrances that linger on shaving brush for days, more than anything I tried before (which is almost everything). A bit more expensive per shave than Proraso, but not that much. A bit better shave too, but Proraso works very well, it’s the same stearic acid soap after all.

Nice descriptions, thanks! I'd agree on the LPL Oud Neroli. I think the oud is more prominent than the neroli which leads to the more medicinal scent. Seems like the oud overpowers some of the citrus brightness that one might expect. I like it a lot but would also be curious to see what it would be like if the neroli was more prominent with the oud in the background. Oud Neroli for winter and Neroli Oud for summer.

The others you mentioned that I've sampled or smelled are the MdC Original, Agrumes, Fougere, Vetiver, and LPL Italian Barbershop.

The MdC Fougere was a little too pure fougere for me. I've found that I only like fougere scents that have been combined with something that isn't a pure fougere. There's nothing wrong with the MdC scent, it's just not what I like.

The MdC Vetiver was also not quite to my liking. It was petty sharp and stronger than I enjoy. Like fougeres, I usually don't like a pure vetiver scent. I prefer it as a small part of an overall fragrance. SV Desert Vetiver is nice and not as sharp as the MdC in my opinion. The SV also seems to have a little something else going on in the scent profile.

MdC Agrumes and Original I like very much though. Agrumes has a light lemon scent that is mild and not sharp at all. It's very refreshing, smells nice, and the scent doesn't linger so you can use any aftershave or cologne afterward.

I get a lavender and herbal note from the Original and like it very much as well. I've only used it in sample form though. If I had to choose between Original and Agrumes I think I'd go with Agrumes because I like the scent better and it fades quicker so I can use any aftershave I like.

I haven't used LPL Barbershop but it was sent to me by mistake once along with an order I placed. It definitely matched a barbershop type scent but was also unique. Maybe a mildly spicy barbershop? Someone who uses it regularly could comment better than me.

I don't like barbershop scents though, particularly the powdery herbal aspect. The vendor didn't want to bother with me returning it so I ended up selling it here on the BST.

Before purchasing the Oud Neroli I considered the Narcisse. After reading your description I'm glad I passed on it though.

Good luck with your new soaps and hope you enjoy them all!

Nice descriptions, thanks! I'd agree on the LPL Oud Neroli. I think the oud is more prominent than the neroli which leads to the more medicinal scent. Seems like the oud overpowers some of the citrus brightness that one might expect. I like it a lot but would also be curious to see what it would be like if the neroli was more prominent with the oud in the background. Oud Neroli for winter and Neroli Oud for summer.

The others you mentioned that I've sampled or smelled are the MdC Original, Agrumes, Fougere, Vetiver, and LPL Italian Barbershop.

The MdC Fougere was a little too pure fougere for me. I've found that I only like fougere scents that have been combined with something that isn't a pure fougere. There's nothing wrong with the MdC scent, it's just not what I like.

The MdC Vetiver was also not quite to my liking. It was petty sharp and stronger than I enjoy. Like fougeres, I usually don't like a pure vetiver scent. I prefer it as a small part of an overall fragrance. SV Desert Vetiver is nice and not as sharp as the MdC in my opinion. The SV also seems to have a little something else going on in the scent profile.

MdC Agrumes and Original I like very much though. Agrumes has a light lemon scent that is mild and not sharp at all. It's very refreshing, smells nice, and the scent doesn't linger so you can use any aftershave or cologne afterward.

I get a lavender and herbal note from the Original and like it very much as well. I've only used it in sample form though. If I had to choose between Original and Agrumes I think I'd go with Agrumes because I like the scent better and it fades quicker so I can use any aftershave I like.

I haven't used LPL Barbershop but it was sent to me by mistake once along with an order I placed. It definitely matched a barbershop type scent but was also unique. Maybe a mildly spicy barbershop? Someone who uses it regularly could comment better than me.

I don't like barbershop scents though, particularly the powdery herbal aspect. The vendor didn't want to bother with me returning it so I ended up selling it here on the BST.

Before purchasing the Oud Neroli I considered the Narcisse. After reading your description I'm glad I passed on it though.

Good luck with your new soaps and hope you enjoy them all!
I just got a box today and you’re already giving me SAD. (On talkbass.com for bass guitar players we talk of GAS, or Guitar Acquisition Syndrome. One guy claimed he had GAS so bad it resulted in a dislocated pelvis.)

These hobbies can definitely get out of hand if we aren't careful. I feel like I need to encourage you to go ahead and get the Agrumes and LPL Barbershop though. If you can go through an entire tub of MdC in three months what's two more tubs going to matter? 😉

These hobbies can definitely get out of hand if we aren't careful. I feel like I need to encourage you to go ahead and get the Agrumes and LPL Barbershop though. If you can go through an entire tub of MdC in three months what's two more tubs going to matter? 😉
And you’re perfectly right, I will order them July 8 when my wife goes back to work and can’t see the shipments arriving.

You have found the answer to my biggest problem, my friend!

My bride needs to "un-retire!"

I will tell her it was YOUR idea, lol!

Ever thought about getting a PO Box at your local post office? God help you if your wife ever finds out though. Probably not worth the risk. Probably. 🤔

You have found the answer to my biggest problem, my friend!

My bride needs to "un-retire!"

I will tell her it was YOUR idea, lol!
This is introductory deception my friend. Us guitar players have elaborate strategies for making our wives believe our 10 guitars are really just all one and the same.

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Ever thought about getting a PO Box at your local post office? God help you if your wife ever finds out though. Probably not worth the risk. Probably. 🤔

warpath.jpg

Glad the op got it open.

It will be worth it. I’m a big lpl fan.

The fougere is fantastic. I like it more than the mdc fougere scent. It’s fresher, and less mossy. More unique.

The vetiver is awesome. Hard to describe. Vetivery, but not old smelling like guerlain. It’s almost citrusy like a McDonald’s orange drink.

The original is classic French. Lavender and other fresh herbs. Goes well with l'occitane. Similar to mdc original.

They all shave great.

Top Bottom