What's new

Le Pere Lucien Lid Stuck

I just received a tub of Le Pere Lucien Oud Neroli shave soap but the lid is stuck and won’t come off. This is my first LPL soap and I’m not even sure if it’s threaded or not. Anyone have any tips for getting the lid off? I’ve already run it under hot water but it still won’t budge.

I might be out of luck in that case lol. I tried to get a very thin screwdriver blade under the lid but no hope. The blade was thinner than any coin. I think I’m going to need a vice and some sort of clamp. It’s ridiculously tight.

Edited to add: I noticed that LPL recommends you leave the lid off the soap to “perfume” your bathroom with the scent of the soap. I think I just discovered the real reason they recommend you leave the lid off: because it might get permanently fused to the container if you put it back on! Lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe something happened during shipping? These tins are pretty sturdy. This is what they look like when the lid is off. I'm not sure which size you have, this is the smaller size.

1654985980635.png

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Put it in the freezer for a bit. The soap will chill and cause everything to shrink. Grab a dishcloth that you have run under hot tap water, and take the can out of the freezer and rub the top of the lid with the hot dishtowel. This should expand the lid slightly, while the chilled soap should keep the body of the can at the contracted size. That should be enough to get the lid off.
Be careful how long you put it in the freezer - you want it cold, but freezing your product is probably not the best thing for it.
This is a similar process used for bearing placement, heat the bearing, chill the shaft and slip it on. Once temp stabilizes - that bearing ain't going nowhere!

Put it in the freezer for a bit. The soap will chill and cause everything to shrink. Grab a dishcloth that you have run under hot tap water, and take the can out of the freezer and rub the top of the lid with the hot dishtowel. This should expand the lid slightly, while the chilled soap should keep the body of the can at the contracted size. That should be enough to get the lid off.
Be careful how long you put it in the freezer - you want it cold, but freezing your product is probably not the best thing for it.
This is a similar process used for bearing placement, heat the bearing, chill the shaft and slip it on. Once temp stabilizes - that bearing ain't going nowhere!

Great idea! I've seen those bearing placement videos on How It's Made. I bet that's gonna work.

Bad news. The freeze followed by warm cloth trick didn't work. I can't move the lid at all; can't even twist it. I have no idea how I'm going to get this lid off lol 😂

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Bad news. The freeze followed by warm cloth trick didn't work. I can't move the lid at all; can't even twist it. I have no idea how I'm going to get this lid off lol 😂
The only other option you have besides brute force or a can opener is to try inserting a thin knife blade horizontally between the can lid and the lip the lid sets against, sharp side in.
Work your way around the can by rotating the handle down and the point up slightly.
You have to do this in small increments, and will need to go around the can several times.
If you try to lift too much in one area, the circumference in contact changes and makes the lid tighter.
Good luck, I don't know what else you can try to fix this without ruining the can.
Kind of like this, but on the lid and not your watch! :lol1:
Pry-Watch-Back-Cover-Off.jpg

Last edited:
Is the tin stuffed? Maybe there is pressure inside. If is stuffed, press the center of the lid, perhaps the pressure scapes a little.

Do you have a thick rubber band? Or a rubber coated glove? Something to get more torque without damage the tin.

Maybe with a rubber glove you can rotate the lid clockwise and the bottom in the other direction.

Last edited:
Is the tin stuffed? Maybe there is pressure inside. If is stuffed, press the center of the lid, perhaps the pressure scapes a little.

Do you have a thick rubber band? Or a rubber coated glove? Something to get more torque without damage the tin.

Maybe with a rubber glove you can rotate the lid clockwise and the bottom in the other direction.

It's a new item, so yeah it's completely filled. I don't want to press on the lid at all because I'm afraid I'll just make it worse.

I've already tried a little thing that's meant for opening jars and it didn't help any.

I've got a really small knife that I think I can use to pry the lid open. I'll give that a try tomorrow.

Who would've guessed a shaving tin lid could get stuck.

Science!

Of course if all else fails, grab the big hammer.

This is a great suggestion.

When I can't open a stubborn jar, I'll grab a pair of disposable rubber gloves for a better grip.

Top Bottom