What's new

Lather in a bowl questions

Hello I was just wondering how you are support to lather in a bowl I have seen some videos where they lather in a bowl with the soap puck in the mug then I have seen people lather by running the brush over the soap to load it then us a bowl to build lather. Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this and if its a stupid question.thanks

Hi There, there are no stupid questions here!

I personally load up the brush from the bowl (either soap bowl or cream bowl) and then put it into my shaving mug. From there I continue to lather and use only a few drops of water at a time until I can build it up in the mug.

Others like to Face lather, in which they load the brush and then continue to make the lather on their face directly, wetting the brush for moisture and continuing to lather.

I too have wondered if the soap or cream is at the bottom of those bowls I've seen people use on youtube.

I'm new. But I put the puck of soap in the bottom of a larger coffee mg. Melted it in the microwave to seat it in the bottom 10 seconds. I wet the soap, take a shower letting the skim of water soften the top of the soap. I then pour off the free water on the soap. Squeeze out the brush which has been soaking in warm water. Then I start the load and lather in the same mug.

But I'm not getting huge lather. OK but not thick peaking lather. I add little bits of water to the dryish brush after it is loaded to start the lather process. Adding bits of water at a time. maybe I'm not adding enough water.

Advice?

Should I not be lathering with the soap at the bottom of the mug and instead be moving to a bowl or another "clean" mug for lathering? I 'm open for suggestions.

I lather on top of the soap- swirl the brush for about a minute and then lather directly on my face. It's always worked for me.

I load in the mug with the soap, then create lather in the bowl. But this may be in part because I need an excuse to have lots of bowls and stuff. :biggrin1:

I soak the brush in warm water for a few mins.
Run some warm water on the puck.
Give the brush 2 light shakes (I use a synthetic, so this part will vary depending on whether you got a badger , boar, or horse brush.
Swirl the brush (load) on the puck for 30 seconds, holding it over the bowl so the lather falls into it.
Swirl in the bowl for 1 min and boom! Your good to go :)
This way of lathering has worked for all my creams and soaps, and I got a lot. But like I said earlier, with different brushes having different water retention qualities, the amount of water nedded will vary.

I have tried loading the brush then lathering in a bowl and I have also tried latter in a bowl with soap in the bottom I I'm not getting good results either way. I mean it could be because I've only been doing for two days but I've spend probably three hours practicing. What brush would you all suggest for a new person wanting to use soap. I was thinking about getting the semogue owners club pure bristle shaving brush.

Last edited:
Which soap are you using? It sounds like you may not be using enough soap and water, possibly.
There are quite a few videos on YouTube on this. Here is one from Mantic59: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXVxXvv_8yk
Any brush will work well with a good soap or cream. Personally, i think you would have better results if you face-lathered!
Good luck.

I have watched that video like four times lol I've tried face lathering also with less luck thank lathering n a bowl I guess I'm just to new at it lol

Give it time bro, practice, practice , practice. You could have hard water too. I've heard that will cause problems lathering. As far as a good brush for beginners? Your gonna get different answers from different people. Now this is just me...but I find that a good synthetic works well. They retain water well enough and release lather very easy. They dry off quick, hardly shed, and are fairly priced. That's just what works for me though. It could take sometime to find what works for you.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I lather creams by putting a dollop (depends on the cream: almond sized for most, half that for Castle Forbes) in the bottom of my scuttle/bowl. I start with a fairly dry brush and add water until I like what I see.

I face lather soap by loading the brush on the puck.

I think creams are less fussy about the water/product ratio (read: much easier to lather).

Which soap or cream, and which brush, are you using right now? Some soaps, like MWF and some glycerin-based soaps, have a reputation for being trickier to lather in general, and some folks find particular brushes too "floppy" for them to easily use to generate a lather.

For myself, using the VDH Deluxe soap and VDH boar brush, I swirl the brush on the puck to the count of 30 (I'm not obsessive-compulsive, really :wink2:) after letting the brush soak during my 7 minute shower; the puck gets a few drops of hot water on it at the same time the brush goes in to soak. Then I give the brush six or seven shakes without squeezing it out, and face lather. I may add a bit of water or another swirl on the puck on the second and third passes.

Not good still not getting a good lather I did just what that video said and nothing I when I move to the bowl to star trying to make lather and it just gets pushed around the bowl without making more lather so I add water and next thing I know it's super bubbly

Not good still not getting a good lather I did just what that video said and nothing I when I move to the bowl to star trying to make lather and it just gets pushed around the bowl without making more lather so I add water and next thing I know it's super bubbly

Can you post some pictures of what you are doing, or a video if that is possible?

As others have said, I find soaps are easier to face lather and creams easier to bowl lather.

But you should be able to owl lather a soap with no issues, I do it regularly.

if you are not getting enough lather in the owl, the issue is NOT enough product.

My guess is your lather issues are rooted in water management. After years of doing this, I sometimes still get lather issues and it usually comes down to me screwing up the amount of water. Start light with the amount of water; you can always add more, but it's harder to thicken up a watery lather.

With that said, play around with lathering venue (i.e. face/bowl/soap). I think each soap/brush combo will lend itself to a particular venue, and it'll just take some experimentation to work out what is best for your situation.

Finally, if you're having issues and just getting frustrated, I can't recommend enough trying a different soap or a cream. Each cream or soap I've ever used has been different from the previous. Some are easy to lather, some are maddeningly difficult.

As a cheap, easy-to-lather recommendation from me, I'd say try some Colonel Conk Amber. It can be had on Amazon for free with some bowl or mug purchases or bought separately relatively cheap. It lathers quick and easy for me with my Silvertip brush right on the puck.

Hope this helps!

Top Bottom