What's new

Lather drying out

*Admins please move or remove if in the wrong spot*

So seeming this is the Shave clinic, I thought I'd would as for a little advice here, So I have an issue with my lather drying out occasionally while on my face, I wondering if this a lathering issue or a skin issue soaking in the moisture of the soap.

Any hints, tips or advice on this issue?

Without further details, I'd say it's a lathering issue... maybe too little water/too much soap? Or is the weather too dry in your area?

You might practise the ratio soap/water to see... Also, does it happen with just one soap, cream...?

Hmm, you have a good point thus far, I do live in the Armpit of Eastern Idaho so we have a lot of dry cold wind currently, but I normally shower or at least wash my face before hand. Last ones that did do it was Catie's Bubbles Celtic Knot. ( I had to look around for this tub, only 1 company had it because Catie's doesn't make it anymore :()

Hmm, you have a good point thus far, I do live in the Armpit of Eastern Idaho so we have a lot of dry cold wind currently, but I normally shower or at least wash my face before hand. Last ones that did do it was Catie's Bubbles Celtic Knot. ( I had to look around for this tub, only 1 company had it because Catie's doesn't make it anymore :()

Aha... Well, try lathering it using more water... and keep us updated.

You need more water. You might need to add a little water between passes, if your soap is drying out. Hydration is the key to good lather.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I suspect your lather is halfway-formed, and you need to whip it up more (and more water will be a key part of that.)

Agree with the consensus:

MORE WATER (and more product)! Yep, you need more than you think! But mostly more water IMO.

If you don't want to risk using too much water, you can do what I often do. I like to do a kind of hybrid bowl/face lather. I usually make my lather erring on the dry side (it is easier to fix a too dry lather than a too wet lather). Then, when I put it on my face, if I want/need to add more moisture, I will drip some water on my brush and finish the lather on my face (continuing to add water as needed until I get it where I want it). Just under half the time I get a perfect lather in the bowl and don't need to add water, but a little more than half the time I need to add some water and finish on my face. It works, and I always end up with a perfect lather in the end.

I agree with everyone else of course as far as adding more water. Some may mean to add more water as you are making the lather in the first place but you can also just add more water to the dry lather on your face.

I'd like to add that you can just lather portions of your face at a time so that you are only putting it on the part of your face that you will be shaving next. This way it doesn't have as much time to dry out.

There's two types of drying out. First, and probably what you are talking about, is when it thickens up, loses slickness, and eventually flakes away. The solution is to mix a bit more water into the lather as you build it. The other kind is lather that pulls a disappearing act, seemingly fading away to nothing. This lather is spread too thin. More product and a proportional amount of water are needed. Rarely, this can also be caused by way too much air being whipped into the lather, though it's pretty hard to do this on accident with any decent soap.

There's two types of drying out. First, and probably what you are talking about, is when it thickens up, loses slickness, and eventually flakes away. The solution is to mix a bit more water into the lather as you build it. The other kind is lather that pulls a disappearing act, seemingly fading away to nothing. This lather is spread too thin. More product and a proportional amount of water are needed.

+1 when you say that your lather is drying out, I take it as too much water and then it feels like you are just shaving with water (Which hurts!!!). I agree that you should do some test runs of the soap. figure out what will work for the given soap. If you cant get a lather that you like, you can always try another soap. No one will like every soap they try if they are truly looking for the best soap availible for them. Check out some reviews on the forums to see what you might enjoy.

Thanks guys, ton of help. More water has helped, getting better shaves.

he other kind is lather that pulls a disappearing act, seemingly fading away to nothing. This lather is spread too thin

That's was my main issue, Just sounds like more product is needed. Also a scuttle would help alot, but a bowl is the best I've got for now

Top Bottom