What's new

Lather drying out

Try a little glycerin
I'm definitely a fan of glycerin myself, but adding it to lather you are struggling to build basically means you're giving up on getting it right. By learning how to build the lather without additives you improve your technique, and then if you do decide to add glycerin, or cream, you can build even better lather than would have been otherwise possible.

I'm not saying that you should struggle through bad shaves with bad lather. If you tried building "normal" lather and it didn't come out right, by all means, add to it to improve the shave. Make that frankenlather! Just don't forget that learning to build the lather is just as important as learning how to use the razor.

There's two types of drying out. First, and probably what you are talking about, is when it thickens up, loses slickness, and eventually flakes away. The solution is to mix a bit more water into the lather as you build it. The other kind is lather that pulls a disappearing act, seemingly fading away to nothing. This lather is spread too thin. More product and a proportional amount of water are needed. Rarely, this can also be caused by way too much air being whipped into the lather, though it's pretty hard to do this on accident with any decent soap.
+1

I face lather exclusively and I use a fairly wet brush. Your lather should be thin and slick to lubricate the skin for the blade as it passes. It doesn't have to be fluffy like whipped cream to be effective.

Just sounds like more product is needed. Also a scuttle would help alot, but a bowl is the best I've got for now
You don't need a scuttle to produce good lather, a bowl will do. The lather should have a shine to it indicating it is adequately hydrated. If it looks dull it is too dry.

Top Bottom