What's new

Lambda Athena

Lads,
When I was going through the pages, I stopped at 111 and fell off my chair laughing when I read about Matt's Lambda reviews. I had to go back and watch this video and give it a note. In every Razor review of another brand, Matt will draw it back to the Holy grail of razors, his own. I don't fault the guy cause he's just trying to sell his own products, he's a good salesman and a crappy Razor reviewer. I have used the Konsul and found it boring, the Envoy was a decent razor though.

Just in case you're interested I broke down the video and picked out the Rex plugs with the time codes. He acknowledged the genius behind the materials used and the gorgeous packaging, but that's it.

3.00 – 3.11 - Praise for the Metals used and he might copy that some day.

5:08 – 5:18 - Blatant plug for Razor emporium Barbershop Shaving Soap.

6:19 – 6:29 – Rex ambassador comparison and build up for the punchline. Wait for it.

7:41 – 7:48 – Here's the punchline and the main plug as to how the Rex Ambassador is super efficient.

7:55 - 8:07 – The Ares con, there's always a negative in others Razors for Matt. Street magician trick of the ARES handle slipping through your fingers.

8:16 - 8:26 – The Rex Ambassador having the perfect grip due to the Genius Horizontal lines.

This guy is a real character, I used to be annoyed at watching him running down others designs and material and efficiency etc etc. when he himself has copied the Gibbs and other designs. I stopped watching his reviews cause I found them boring and all being Rex Plugs. To me Theo is a master craftsman and the Lambdas are two of the finest Shaving tools ever made. I love the Lambdas and had to see the video to find out how Matt would bring the Rex Ambassador in to show it as being superior. Genius in the way he smoothly slips those plugs in. Crappy review quality but worth a good laugh.

This is just my own view of the RE reviews and no offense to the many REX fans in the community.

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
IMG_5639.jpeg

After a few busy days, finally got a chance to shave, first time since the weekend.

Again it’s a beautiful razor but I’m still not used to the weight. Maybe I need to change the way I hold it.

Also seems like Gillette 7 Black is not a good blade for me personally especially with the Athena or the 3-4 razors I’ve tried it in. It’s up there in sharpness but not smooth at all. I loved the smoothness of the GWS blade but this one has always seemed too harsh and rough on my skin. Anyways the journey continues, want to put this one behind me and already looking forward to the next one in a day or two.

Prep: Hot Shower
Pre Shave: None
Brush: Yaqi - Mysterious Space Synthetic
Razor: Lambda Athena
Blade: Gillette 7 Black
Passes: WTG,XTG x2
Lather: Proraso Red
Post Shave: Proraso Sensitive Balm,Stetson Aftershave

IMG_5028.jpeg

Also reached out Theo about the Ti version, he put me on the waitlist to the waitlist 🤣

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I just thought of the Ti-Athena, let me share my take on it:

I got the steel Athena because... why actually. I already had the bronze Ares, wanted something different and steel is simply easier maintenance. BUT let me tell you, my Ares... just doesn't change color or have any issues. Particularly not when stored in the COFFIN aka known as the "beautiful resting place for exquisitely crafted Lambda razors", but that is a mouthful.

When seeing the bronze Athena... the color somehow fits better to a greek goddess than steel. In hindsight, could have got the bronze one as well!

Some photos of the titanium version surfaced. They might have been prototypes. But the Ti of the Athena looked rather matte and dull.

So maybe unless you are absolutely desperate for the decreased weight of Ti... I would strongly urge you to rethink and consider the bronze Athena.

Just my thoughts, this might also save you a few bucks.

I got the steel Athena because... why actually. I already had the bronze Ares, wanted something different and steel is simply easier maintenance. BUT let me tell you, my Ares... just doesn't change color or have any issues. Particularly not when stored in the COFFIN aka known as the "beautiful resting place for exquisitely crafted Lambda razors", but that is a mouthful.

When seeing the bronze Athena... the color somehow fits better to a greek goddess than steel. In hindsight, could have got the bronze one as well!

Some photos of the titanium version surfaced. They might have been prototypes. But the Ti of the Athena looked rather matte and dull.

So maybe unless you are absolutely desperate for the decreased weight of Ti... I would strongly urge you to rethink and consider the bronze Athena.

Just my 2 cents as materials choice is very subjective and there is not the right answer valid for everyone.

I find Titanium so illogical to buy as to buy SS version and pay 295 vs 200 for Bronze.. and weight is almost same so we are speaking about 95€ more for surface with less maintenance... I did same (bought Bronze and also SS in past) and I will buy also Ti if possible..

I'll most likely go for steel. Weight has never been much of an issue for me, I've done fine with both steel and aluminum razors.

I agree, the bronze is an amazing look when new. But I've mentioned previously that it did start to develop a slight patina here in the Florida humidity. It was barely noticeable, but it was also after just 1 month, and despite disassembling and drying the razor after each shave. I really dislike the look of razors with patina, and also don't want extra maintenance to keep it looking new.

So for me anyway, the extra cost for SS is worth it. I'm not sure if the extra cost for TI will be worth it, since I'm not sure how I feel about the matte look of the TI either. If it's not much more, I'll have to think about it; if it's a lot more, then it's an easy call for steel for me.

Hello. I am new at the forum but wet shaving for about 6-7 years and own the Ares V2 for about 2 weeks. It is a really beautiful razor and also very, very efficient. I might be able to buy also the Athena. I just checked Lambda site and it seems there will be 4 versions of Athena depending the alloy.The first 3 I think are Bronze (same as we know it), SS and Ti? The 4th it looks like Rose gold or something. They all look fantastic.

Attachments

• Στιγμιότυπο οθόνης 2024-05-23 151541.png
    Στιγμιότυπο οθόνης 2024-05-23 151541.png
    459 KB · Views: 32
Hello. I am new at the forum but wet shaving for about 6-7 years and own the Ares V2 for about 2 weeks. It is a really beautiful razor and also very, very efficient. I might be able to buy also the Athena. I just checked Lambda site and it seems there will be 4 versions of Athena depending the alloy.The first 3 I think are Bronze (same as we know it), SS and Ti? The 4th it looks like Rose gold or something. They all look fantastic.
Bronze, Steel, Titanium and Copper.

Regarding Ti, the information blackout is complete. I have also been added to a waiting list, but no word since then.
I have been trying to get some information but my messages are literally being ignored. I don't know if he reads the emails, but the messages in Instagram and Messenger are reported as unread.
At the same time, I know that he finds time to talk with other friends of mine on Messenger, about absolutely side topics, like blades for example.

Mr. Shavington

Knows Hot Turkish Toilets

If we’re doing the whole Greek thing then bronze is right. Achilles would pick bronze.

D94B1DF7-B816-4811-A9AD-9E90DB71159C.jpeg

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have several bronze razors, including two Athenas. I polish any matte finish SS or Titanium razors with Simichrome. As a result, I have two micro fiber polish towels: one for the first polish and the second for the final polish. I haven’t had to use them on the Athenas but once, I think. I haven’t had to do a full polish on either Athena which I think is amazing. I’ve touched up my bronze Wolfman WR2 and 3 handles quite often. The brass Elite seems to be holding its own.

Top Bottom