What's new

Lambda Athena

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
My understanding is that SS is harder to work with hence more expensive.
im sure if the demand is there they will be made on a more regular basis.

Free machining stainless (304L, 316L) are relatively easy to work with and not as susceptible to damage (scratches, pits, gouges, tear outs, etc.) as brass. The material is more expensive, certainly. Titanium is a bear to work with, plus material cost is high.

If he can make a brass razor, he can make a a stainless one. Not necessarily titanium, though. He makes a beautiful brass product that is in demand; it seems like a conscious business decision. His niche, if you will.

I was skipped on this drop. I’m glad I got mine on BST.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
He makes a beautiful brass product that is in demand; it seems like a conscious business decision.
Bronze, please!

"Nickel Aluminum Bronze Alloy
Used for Marine Applications
Not just Plain Old Brass"

quoting the website.

Now the question would be how much more the material does cost and what different properties it has compared to "vanilla" brass. I have no idea.

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
Bronze, please!

quoting the website.

Now the question would be how much more the material does cost and what different properties it has compared to "vanilla" brass. I have no idea.
Sorry. I keep doing that.
Bronze, please!

quoting the website.

its a softer naterial than stainless. It would typically machine easier, but finishing/polishing would be more extensive. There aren't a ton of stainless razors with this level of detail, though.

Whatever Theo is doing, it's magical.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Lambda Athena is available for sale on Lambda website. The Ares is already sold out.
It's interesting, to me, at least... With some batches, the Athena sells out before the Ares... other batches, it's the Ares that sells out first.

I wonder if it's cyclical?

It's interesting, to me, at least... With some batches, the Athena sells out before the Ares... other batches, it's the Ares that sells out first.

I wonder if it's cyclical?
I believe that those that couldn't get one of the razors when they sold out are available for the next batch and vice versa.

Has anyone forgone the routine drying / polishing and let nature take it's course?
I have. I am letting the Ares go for a couple of months to see what happens. It's been about a month now and I see little change. I also keep the razor on a stand. If you put it in the Lambda box after each shave, it will take even longer to patina.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
I have. I am letting the Ares go for a couple of months to see what happens. It's been about a month now and I see little change. I also keep the razor on a stand. If you put it in the Lambda box after each shave, it will take even longer to patina.
Please keep us in the loop on this. I'd really like to know how the patina develops. It has been interesting to watch my Timeless bronze change. I've been keeping my Athena shiny.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
For what it is worth, my Ares didn't change one bit so far, my Timeless Bronze seems to get reddish in hue and has a black spot between the teeth.

Both likely use a similar "marine grade" bronze alloy.

My Fatips are coated, my bronze head for the Razorine Flatboy didn't change either so far, but saw little use.

There is a lot of brass polish available, just don't keep it wet after shaving and little to nothing should happen.

I prefer how stainless steel look compared to brass or bronze, and moreover when I read your comment I cannot help thinking I would not have the discipline to dry and clean the razor after each shave.

FWIW, I recently borrowed a friend’s Athena for about 3-4 weeks. I’m a leave-the-blade-in-between-shaves kind of guy but since it was a borrowed razor, I went through the onerous process of disassembling it and drying all the parts after each shave. (OK it wasn’t that onerous but it’s still more maintenance than I want to do. 😉) Despite that, on receiving the razor back, my friend noticed it had still developed a noticeable patina after just a month away. Now I’m in Florida, so it’s rather humid here, and it was subtle enough that I didn’t notice it seeing the razor every day or 2. But it certainly reinforced my decision to wait and see if I can get myself a steel one.

While I’m waiting though, those of you who like a patina can PM me and I’ll send you my address, I’ll use your Athena for a month and return it with a Florida patina, no charge! 😎

Iridian

Cool and slimy
For what it is, I also use a micro fiber towel to dry the many 3 to 4 or 5 parts (let's say 3 part razor and blade and a O-ring made of nylon) of my stainless steel razors after a shave. I am about to join the one and done club for blades, though, as cleaning them is the most onerous part for me. I use a 3-4 brush rotation to let them dry between shaves and only use synthetic brushes, not just because of the badgers but they dry quickly and don't smell funny.

Top Bottom