What's new

Lakebound's Straight Shave Journal

Inbound package: Savon à raser Fougère

Looking forward the adding this to my current stable of MdC.

Frank

Great pick up for sure. I've not touched my MdC in a very very long time. *sigh* I promised myself to go through a lot of the small samples and partial containers of product I have that I won't be replacing before I start into anything else. I did give an exception to Tabac, and my C&E Nomad, but too many exceptions and I'll end up right back to where I never touch the others and finish them off. lol

I am using MdC almost exclusively now. Even the Wool Fat and the Cella are not being used anymore. I guess I am just on a streak right now and am enjoying it too much.

Frank

It's a superb product for sure. I'm highly anticipating getting mine back into my rotation. Next year I may pick up another jar even. By then I may be lower enough on stocked things to not feel bad doing so. lol

Le Grelot 65 this morning. Decent enough shave but to be honest, I think the edge could be improved upon.

Frank

Classic looks can't be beat. Just don't make it into a butter knife while trying to improve on the edge. So basically, hone it in the exact same what that I don't. :lol:

Classic looks can't be beat. Just don't make it into a butter knife while trying to improve on the edge. So basically, hone it in the exact same what that I don't. :lol:

Just a mere touch up on the JNAT around noon today. 3 slurries using Nakayama Kiita Tomo Nagura on the Nakayama Honyama Kiita Koppa. Followed that up with the strop 30 Linen/100 Leather.

Nothing more than a mere touch up really. :001_smile

We'll check the shave tomorrow morning or evening.

Frank

Last edited:
I picked up this Jas. T. Scott 3/4 that I believe is a quarter hollow for a song (and I can't sing very well) with a nice little 5/8 that I will take up working on later.

I cleaned it up and just finished honing it up. But here is the BEFORE picture, I'll try to post pictures of the final results later today.

Frank

Frank, I, for one, am happy that you're still playing with your journal. :thumbup1:

I'm humbled. Thank you, I really felt as though things were progressing to the point where this was becoming redundant and boring. I mean, remember last February when I cut my earlobe almost in half? Now that was cool! :w00t:

Frank

Thanks Jeremy. Here's some material then.

First up is the Jas. T. Scott 3/4 after cleaning, polishing and honing:

And what is your opinion of what grind this is?

I knew you'd be back. :thumbup1:

I'd say it;'s between half and quarter hollow ... if I was pressed to give an answer.

Next up is the Jos. Allen 5/8 that I bought:

I removed the original scales and in true form, I broke the damned things. Here's the blade after cleaning and polishing.

And so, I began the journey to make my first set of scales by hand. I picked up some Maple and began the process of cutting them by hand after gluing two planks together and letting them sit over night. As you can see, I have another set in there for later.

Here we are after some rough sanding:

And here we are next to the blade. I need to cut the wedge from a piece of a different type and color of wood. Enough for today though, I have over a foot of snow to shovel.

I'll see if I can get it finished before summer and post pictures. I'm absolutely horrid at pinning razors so I'm a bit nervous about screwing this up.

Until next time,

Frank

I knew you'd be back. :thumbup1:

I'd say it;'s between half and quarter hollow ... if I was pressed to give an answer.

I'm calling it a half for now. I may be able to tell more after the shave tonight. Good to see you here Lee!

Frank

Top Bottom