What's new

Lakebound's Straight Shave Journal

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Oh, we are. Making notes too, I might add. But the paper's all covered in bacon and maple syrup, so I can't read it most of the time :lol:

New found stroping routine. I'm sure we all count the number of strokes or passes we perform on the strop pre and post shave.

I found a more relaxing way of stroping. To music.

I simply find a song that I like and strop until the song is over. Relaxing and provides a rhythm and flow to the strop routine and it lasts longer than the 50-100 passes that most perform.

Sounds silly huh? Try it.

Frank

I've been mulling over something lately that happened a few days ago. A gentleman posted asking for advice and opinions on straight razor shaving. Specifically, that he wanted to use a straight razor but his spouse was getting upset with him because she didn't want him to. He went on to explain how she was freaked out about him using a straight razor and he seemed pretty twisted up about the whole thing.

I replied in a polite but direct way with my opinion and find later that my post was deleted because I offered "marital advice". Really? What are we coming to here and elsewhere when a. A man has to ask permission to engage in his own grooming habits? I mean, my wife's legs are smooth and I don't ask how they get that way, offer advice or demand that she do things this way or that. I find that to be very controlling. And b., since when have we become so sensitive around here that when a person comes in and asks for opinions and when he gets them, if they differ those differing posts get reported and deleted?

I don't ask for permission to shave. Never have and never will. And when you come in here and ask for an opinion, when you get it and it doesn't meet your expectations: Suck it up buttercup.

Frank

Welcome to the year that everyone is offended by something. I'm not sure when the right to a pursuit of life, liberty and happiness became a right to never be offended. I don't like it either Frank. Of course I know *I* should never give marital advice - I've been married four times. Now if someone needs divorce advice, I'll be your huckleberry.

$Ricky-Gervais-quote2.jpg

Thanks for the response Lee. I think I wouldn't have such a problem with the scenario if the guy had received unsolicited advice. But to come here, to a forum filled with strangers and tell us that you want to shave with a straight razor, ask advice and then add the caveat that your wife won't let you.

It's like the shaving version of the Kobayashi Maru scenario/simulator. You can't win for losing with these guys. I mean, you want to tell them to "man up" but then the "Fairness Coordinator" pays you a visit.

Shave or don't shave, use a straight or don't. But, don't come here asking questions when you don't like the answers that are given.

Frank

A sad state of affairs that is indicative of society in general right now. Political correctness run amuck. "Freedom of speech, just watch what you say..." To quote one of my oft listened to albums in the 80's early 90's.

For what it's worth, in my opinion you didn't even come close to stepping out of line.

Sending this baby out to Alfredo (Doc226) for re-scaling. I will mail it out tomorrow and have asked Doc to make and install a nice set of horn scales in honey/blond to do this blade justice. This is my CV Heljestrand MK 42 6/8 Quarter Hollow that I purchased from a gent from Canada awhile back. The scales simply do not do this piece justice and Doc's work is superb.

Looking forward to the after pictures but here is the before look of this buttery smooth shaver:

Frank

Just received work back from Alfredo (Doc226) that my CV Heljestrand MK 42 6/8 Quarter Hollow is already finished! He installed hand crafted Honey/Blond Horn scales on it for me and I am very eager to see his work. The plastic stock scales that CV Heljestrand put on their fine razors simply don't do any justice to the blades in my opinion.

Frank

I love those horn handles - I don't have any razors that would A) deserve them or B) would not be a sin to remove the stock ones (Fili).

One other type I really like are the pale blond celluloid handles. In good condition they are getting as rare as hen's teeth. The best pair I have got butchered by someone removing pins with a dremel. :(

Top Bottom