What's new

Lakebound's Straight Shave Journal

Making own scales from scratch? I doff my cap in your general direction.

Thank you. I have to admit that after using the coping saw, I had my doubts that they would turn out the way they have so far. But, while the two halves remain glued together by means of a piece of paper between, shaping and sanding them went very well. I used a Dremel with two of the more coarse sanding wheels to help me take down the high spots and to shape the ends. Most folks who make these go with square ends and for good reason, it's easier.

I followed the pattern of the original scale that remained unbroken so as to keep some integrity of the restore. I'm taking a few days off of the project to step back and think it through some more as I have a way of screwing things up when I rush.

Regards,

Frank

One coat of Danish oil on the wooden scales project today after sanding down the wedge that I made for these.

I'm still not very good at pinning scales. I actually bought a set of cheapos from Larry to mount the blade to and hone. I really struggle with getting a tight scales to blade fit and end up with too much slop and am afraid to keep peening for fear of ruining the scales.

We'll see. This has been fun none the less.

Frank

Just checking in. I've slowed down with regard to using straights all the time. I really enjoyed a nice shave with my RR Stealth Slant loaded with a Feather that has about 7 shaves on it. I find it amazing just how long a Feather really lasts now that I know how to shave properly.

I could probably use that Feather another 10 times without a tug.

Now I have 8 straights and some haven't seen the lather in months.

Frank

I still can't get more than 3 or 4 comfy shaves from any DE blade. They all start to tug and bite by the 4th shave on the ATG pass.

Currently only using my Le Grelots to shave with. Many of the other straights in my modest collection are rarely used. I'm fond of my French straights and prefer them over others.

Frank

Heya Frank, was thinking about you the other dad. Glad to see you are still around.

I've been travelling a bit so I've only been using the Feather ... but I know my Fili is waiting for me. No Le Grelots yet - I'm dropping some hints to SWMBO. :)

Heya Frank, was thinking about you the other dad. Glad to see you are still around.

I've been travelling a bit so I've only been using the Feather ... but I know my Fili is waiting for me. No Le Grelots yet - I'm dropping some hints to SWMBO. :)

Good to hear from you Lee, Happy Father's Day my friend. I've been neglecting my journal as of late, really been AWOL around here lately actually. Getting ready for retirement in 10 months and simply enjoying shaving more than honing. Using DE's here and there and basically letting things flow. I settled on French razors (TI and Le Grelot) because they simply hold the edge for an incredibly long time for me and, they (Le Grelots) tend to be rare. I wish could find more as I would trade other straights that I have for and all French lineup!

Best regards to you Sir,

Frank

So, I decided to take advantage of the free honing service that I received when I purchased my second ever straight razor from SRD over a year ago. The razor only needed a touch up and I was going on vacation and thought "what the heck". I wanted to gauge my honing skills and get a feel for a professionally honed razor after over a year of shaving off of my own JNAT edges and the edges of others from this forum.

What I expected and what I experienced were too different things. To be fair, the edge is sharp and shaved my beard. I would rate it a DFS but was far from smooth. I know how the folks at SRD hone their razors from what L.A. shows on his videos. But I can honestly say that my JNAT edges take me longer but last longer and are much smoother than the edge on my TI that I received last week and that I shaved with tonight.

I have another vintage that is in the hands of the guys from SRD only because the bevel really gave me fits. When that one returns, I plan to shave with it and then possibly finish it off on my JNAT. Lesson learned? = Trust my own honing skills.

Regards,

Frank

Great to hear that your honing has progressed to such an extent Frank!

Thank you for your kind words but I don't want to jump the gun and get too confident. It could be the difference between the feel of a synthetic honed edge and that of an edge honed on Naturals. I myself like so many others, started on Naniwas and only started JNATS as a way to finish up an edge coming off the 8K or 12K. Now that I go to the naturals after a bevel set, I can declare my edges smoother but, I wish that I was more skilled at setting the proper bevel on troubled edges like warps and uneven spines. Some of my edges like a recent LeGrelot vintage that I picked up, simply give me fits.

I sent that one to SRD because I know that I would have torqued it too much and ruined the edge altogether. When it comes back, I'll test it and maybe smooth things over with Koma and a Tomo Nagura of my choosing.

Frank

I received a vintage Le Grelot back from the SRD honing service yesterday. I sent it to them because the bevel was giving me fits and during the summer, I don't want to dedicate as much time to honing. I shaved with it Saturday and found it sharp but lacking in smoothness. So, yesterday after work I simply touched it up on the Nakayama Honyama Kiita using slurries of Koma and Double Stamped Nakayama Kiita Tomo. My shave last night after honing was much improved.

Frank

Relatives from Canada are visiting at the lake house this week and they brought to me, a vintage Bengall 5/8 round point. I took the little edge to the Wakasa Lv. 5 Koppa with Botan slurry to establish the bevel. I'll be taking it back home where the remaining mid range stones are to finish the job.

Frank

I'm not sure I would ever admit to having relatives in Canada. :)
I shaved with the Bengall razor that they brought to me and that I honed up. I am very surprised that I was able to set an excellent bevel with a Botan slurry.

I didn't have any mid range Naguras either and went from Botan to Koma and then on to a finishing Nagura.

This morning's shave was something between a DFS and near BBS.

[emoji1]

Frank

Top Bottom