What's new

Lakebound's Straight Shave Journal

Yeah, I figured the stealth and probably needed to explain myself a bit more :lol:. Which version of the stealth? There's 3 of the aluminum one and the stainless one.

Yeah, I figured the stealth and probably needed to explain myself a bit more :lol:. Which version of the stealth? There's 3 of the aluminum one and the stainless one.

That, I don't know. I'll report back when it arrives. Do these pictures help?

Frank

Last edited:
Used the CV Heljestrand MK 42 6/8 Quarter Hollow again as I have for about a week or so while also alternating with a DE now and again. Discovered something that I thought might help while I watched a video earlier this week of a Turkish shave being conducted. Not only did the Barber conduct skin stretches of the client's face with his off hand, he actually used a thumb and forefinger pinch to perform the stretch.

So tonight I thought that I would mimic his actions during my shave tonight and I enjoyed great success with my off hand stretching. I still used alum between the fingers but instead of merely stretching with one or two fingertips, I found that the pinch/stretch method was much more effective.

Also on the shave bill was Martin De Candre Soap and a finishing splash of Myrsol Antesol. This yielded another near-BBS shave again tonight on a two-day beard.

Cheers,

Frank

Hrm.. Very cool. Not something I've ever seen or seen mentioned here before, the pinch then stretch. Great tip to give a try out with!

Hrm.. Very cool. Not something I've ever seen or seen mentioned here before, the pinch then stretch. Great tip to give a try out with!

Someone posted it on another thread earlier this week. Notice that the pinch method that he uses is done gently. Just enough to draw skin together and pull and then he releases and moves on. It's really a great method for getting those beard hairs to stand up and get mowed down. Enjoy the show!

Frank

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone posted it on another thread earlier this week. Notice that the pinch method that he uses is done gently. Just enough to draw skin together and pull and then he releases and moves on. It's really a great method for getting those beard hairs to stand up and get mowed down. Enjoy the show!

Frank

That is one experienced barber at shaving with a straight. He moves that straight around and wipes it clean on his bare hands like it's a butter knife. lol Super cool video

Thanks for the link. I wish that I had one of these shops in my neighborhood. Can anyone explain the flaming facial or the eyebrow floss? The ear wax was self explanatory.

So, I realize that this is a Straight Razor journal. But, I did get my new (to me) RR Stealth slant in the mail today along with a generous pack of Feathers from the seller. I loaded it up with a Feather and enjoyed a very smooth and close two pass BBS shave today after work.

Joining the Stealth and Feather were Martin De Candre and Myrsol Formula F./Extra :cool:

Frank

I sure wish they would get a few more of those to sell. If I had one there would be a viable alternative on "fast" mornings.

What do you think about it? All I could think was "there's no way I can hurt myself with this."

I sure wish they would get a few more of those to sell. If I had one there would be a viable alternative on "fast" mornings.

What do you think about it? All I could think was "there's no way I can hurt myself with this."

Very lightweight, almost deceivingly so. In comparison to the Merkur barberpole that I used to have, this razor tries to float out of my hand. The gap is also less aggressive than the Merkur and the coating on the shave head is very comfortable. Lockup of the blade to head is very tight.

If one isn't careful though, I could see where someone could accidentally cross-thread the handle onto the head.

After shaving with straights, this thing loaded with a Feather is a dream and very easy. No irritation, no bumps and quite close and I would compare it to shaving with a straight razor. Although, I still do prefer straights.

I give this razor an A

Frank

Frank

That guys has such a light touch. He makes it look like I am swinging an ax at my face, or trying to shave with my feet or something.

I may have to give the pinch thing a try. Thanks for sharing Frank.

And congrats on the Stealth :thumbup:

After buying, honing, selling, giving away and buying more razors and shaving with all of them, I settled on a 7 (Okay, 8) for a set.

Some are quite popular with many and a few are just great shavers. After getting a decent digital camera for Christmas and promising a couple of months ago to share my final set with others, I finally put together a little slide show of my humble set.

You can view them here.

Frank

Last edited:
This morning shave was back to the straights again.

~ Bismarck Solingen #36 13/16 Hollow Ground ~ Gold Dachs Rivivage ~ Myrsol Blue ~

Flawless shave!

Frank​

Nice set. Most of us would be overjoyed with just one or two of those :thumbup1:

Thank you. To be honest, I am using only one straight per week to learn each one intimately and to keep things new again for me. The Bismarck is somewhat longer than what I am used to and the spike point makes it an unforgiving task master. It forces me to slow down and pay very close attention to basics. Not a blade for the novice or faint of heart and just like my Morley and Sons 6/8.

Both of those have drawn more of my blood than all the Corpsmen in the Navy!

Frank

In my line of work, making and keeping true best friends is rare. What we do like other occupations I am sure, requires trust. Sometimes that trust means putting your life in the hands of another. I'm sure that many active duty and Veterans know what I am talking about.

As my current career winds down, I have been fortunate to have made and kept two best friends and we will be spending New Year's Eve together with our wives and other friends. And during that time, I plan to present them with this humble starters kit to introduce them to wet shaving. They deserve so much more than this and if I could afford it, they would be getting commemorative Colt 1911's. But for now, this will have to do.

Maggard's put together a sweetheart of a deal for me and delivered it one day shipping (we are both in Michigan). Like my friends, Maggard's is top shelf.

Regards,

Frank

Top Bottom