What's new

La Faulx by Atelier Durdan Pass Around…..

La Faulx machined stainless steel with classic base plate is the most comfortable and best razor I have ever used. I am using it with Razorock one piece stainless steel HALO handle, and it's superb in every respect. I am so impressed with this razor that I am planning to order a machined titanium version with possibly the + base plate just to see the difference. Mr. Durdan is exceptionally talented.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I just looked... I don't believe the La Faulx is in stock... at least, at their site. The Le Maurice is in stock with some finish options... handles, etc.. and the La Faulx handle looks to be in stock.

I did send them a message to see what the lead time is for the La Faulx SS "Classic" head with the basic polish finish.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
A La Faulx SS head can be put in a shopping cart without an "out of stock" error. But when checking out it says clearly that a "six to ten week" manufacturing period is in place.
If it's only 6 to 10 weeks..... I'll be thrilled. That's how I ordered mine but I didn't notice the manufacturing time.... Stupid me... and the order email is in French..... I guess I could use Google Translate... see what it says.

Thx.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I had another lovely La Faulx shave today at our son's place in St. Petersburg and have a couple photos to "prove it". <eg>

The first one is the play room set-up for our granddaughter. The Murphy bed is up... and it's a play room. The leather travel bag had all my shaving gear in it, including towels.

RS_Shaving kit in the play room.jpg

RS_1_2_2024 SOTD.jpg

I had another lovely La Faulx shave today at our son's place in St. Petersburg and have a couple photos to "prove it". <eg>

The first one is the play room set-up for our granddaughter. The Murphy bed is up... and it's a play room. The leather travel bag had all my shaving gear in it, including towels.

View attachment 1774078

View attachment 1774079
I love the idea of traveling with a bag a doctor uses for house calls in the olden days for shaving gear!

Gosh that razor is gorgeous. I want to get my hands on one badly and I’m really bummed I missed the pass around.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Remember what @Mr. Shavington posted: towels are one of the most important things in shaving bliss. (A disclaimer: that was not a direct quote.) <eg>

I brought along a full size bath towel, a wash cloth, two hand towels as well as two grey microfiber towels like the one in the photo. And to the delight of our daughter-in-law, I left the bathroom cleaner than it was when we got here. ;)

If it's only 6 to 10 weeks..... I'll be thrilled. That's how I ordered mine but I didn't notice the manufacturing time.... Stupid me... and the order email is in French..... I guess I could use Google Translate... see what it says.

Thx.
I just received a second Vestige because I enjoy the razor and I wanted to try a ++ plate. It costs no more to buy a whole machine finished razor than it would be to buy only the base plate with the premium polish I chose for my first Vestige.

Anyway, I placed my order on November 20th and it was shipped on December 14th. So was less than four weeks.

By the way, the machined finish is quite nice. Given the large price uplifts for other finishes I would recommend machined as the best option, though the razors are good enough to justify splurging on polishing if anyone wants it.

64273578-1C74-48DA-815E-65E76B053E59.jpeg

View attachment 1774271
Third outing and used a Feather Pro this time. I just must not be a feather AC guy … to me the Kai’s, guarded or not, are significantly smoother and similarly efficient.

Regardless, this razor is a phenom 😎
I prefer the Kai AC blades too. The Schick Proline is the one I liked least of all, though, and that’s the one more people seem to rave about. For me the Kai Captain Titan Mild (“pinks”) are the most efficient and most comfortable.

Kai Protouch MG are the only AC blades I can use without problem. I don't like being limited like that, but neither do I want to give up on the format. It just won't be my primary.

And I keep reminding myself the La Faulx head can be purchased separately, which makes the cost merely impractical rather than impossible. Wicked temptations everywhere.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I prefer the Kai AC blades too. The Schick Proline is the one I liked least of all, though, and that’s the one more people seem to rave about. For me the Kai Captain Titan Mild (“pinks”) are the most efficient and most comfortable.
I had my worst AC shaves with the Prolines.... I couldn't figure it why and gave up. As you stated, so many people love them and they are their favorite AC blades.

I need to revisit the Feather AC blades. When I did my initial tests, I couldn't tell the difference between a Feather ProGuard and the Kai Protouch blades, but at that time, I had better shaves with both guarded blades than the non-guarded blades, both Kai and Feather. It's coming up on two years since I've used anything but a guarded blade in my AC razors. I would hope my technique is better. Who knows, I might like the unguarded blades now.... though the guarded blades are the only ones I have in large quantities.

Has anyone tried pairing the Vestige handle with La Faulx head?
I just swapped handles to see. It fits nicely and lines up with the back of the base plate. Makes the La Faulx much lighter. Well balanced - less handle-heavy. Feels fine. Not sure I like the look as much as with the La Faulx handle - the head looks too wide and a bit clunky for such a slender handle, but maybe I’d get used to it.

To my mind the original handles both look better on their respective heads.

65D11856-4432-4DD3-9375-3D2DF2D056FD.jpeg

Thanks for the photo. When borrowing the razor I quickly changed handles for a better balance. As I'm getting the Vestige anyway I may get the La Faulx head at the same time.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I plan to use the SS basic polish La Faulx head with a polished Crown handle. I wonder how that will work for me.... I can always order a regular La Faulx handle and stand at a later date.

Top Bottom