What's new

Kombucha-thoughts on making it

I love kombucha but I'm far too inpatient to brew it myself. I usually treat myself to a local brewery's variety a couple times a month.

3rd batch is going steadily along. I tore off part of the SCOBY that looked much older. This batch progressed much quicker than the first one. Its actually very carbonated straight out of the fermenter.

I tried putting a bit of apple juice in the bottles on the last batch. My wife and I decided we like the less sweet straight kombucha better. The way this batch is going, I should be able to bottle it all up with no extra sugar and still have a nicely carbonated drink.

Another surprising thing: my 2 year old loves this stuff. She asks me for "bucha" all the time. She's never liked anything sweet. Candy, cake or even juice. If I give her juice, she takes a sip, makes a funny face and hands it back to me.

That is fabulous. I never got anything to be very carbonated.

I do not seem to be able to pull batches before they go over the hill these days!

The only thing I seem to have done different this time is that i made the tea a little stronger than I have in the past. The bags went in when the water came off the boil, and stayed in for a good 20 min. I believe the stronger tea is a good source of nutrients for all of the various yeasts and bacteria.

Top Bottom