What's new

Making Kombucha

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Bottled it up on day 11. Probably should have waited a few more days as it was only slightly tangy but I'm impatient. 3 raspberry and 1 strawberry. Figured for the first time those were safe bets. lots of sugar to eat up.

IMG_2946.jpeg

And saved the old and new SCOBY for next time. I need more gallon jars though!

IMG_2947.jpeg

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I pureed the fruit. I was worried I wouldn't be able to get them out of the jar if not.

My wife has been making ‘Kombucha’ (black tea Korean) for a bunch of years now, where she has pretty much perfected the brew from years of tweaking and brewing her recipes.

She also makes the Japanese version of Kombucha called ‘Jun’ (Green Tea) which uses honey to feed the fermentation instead of brown sugar like the Korean version does.

You may already know this Jason, but here are a few pointers I have learned from watching my wife who is an unofficial master Kombucha expert making it thru the years.

1. She has purchased scoby’s online and has created her own scoby’s from
manufactured retail brands like GT’s. Regardless of how she got or made her scoby, she has always poured her very first two batches of Kombucha and Jun down the sink. She has never kept them to drink. A new scoby’s being a ‘living organism’ needs a couple of batches to grow and get a bit healthier before they can make a batch fermented enough to be worthy of drinking.

2. After you poured the first couple of batches down the drain and have finished the days of fermentation on the third batch 7-10 days, you are now ready to bottle up the juice.

3. However, once the batch is poured in the individual bottles, my wife will add different kinds of juice for flavoring and she will even add chia seeds and then she puts those air tight bottles back in a warm dark cabinet for 2 more days. Trust me, the fermentation process will continue in those bottles even with out a scoby.

4. These two days, will really help the fermentation and when you finally pop open a bottle, you will hear that famous ‘pop’ sound and the kombucha will be fizzy yet smooth with that awesome bang! And bite in the mouth and on the tongue that one can only get from a properly made fermentation.

5. I noticed in your pics, your mason jar and batch of Kombucha sitting in the kitchen cupboard about the third shelf down. Other then the cheese cloth that you had on top of the lid so it can breathe, you will want to: A. Cover the entire glass mason jar with a towel or something. The clear mason jar lets in light every time you open that closet. A small towel wrapped around the jar, will keep it dark without exposing it to light.

6. Also, B. get the batch in the jar up higher on the top of the shelf if you can. The warmth of your house rises and collects closer to the ceiling that if young can get it there. This increased warmth, especially in the cooler months will really help the fermentation process. My wife likes to put her batches of Kombucha and Jun, either in the small storage cabinet above the kitchen stove as the heat from cooking everyday rises onto those cabinets. She also will keep batches in the small storage cabinets above the dryer in the laundry room. Same exact theory of using the dryer sends the warm air up into those cabinets. I’m positive both of these are probably the warmest places in our house. Perfect environment for fermentation.

My wife also makes milk Kefir, water Kefir, Kimchi, Sauerkraut, pickled okra and even pickled eggs. The more fermented foods the better. Good gut health is the foundation to overall good health and she is a firm believer in this. Fermented foods and drinks are an important staple for this. :)

Good luck with your future batches.

Last edited:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
My wife has been making ‘Kombucha’ (black tea Korean) for a bunch of years now, where she has pretty much perfected the brew from years of tweaking and brewing her recipes.

She also makes the Japanese version of Kombucha called ‘Jun’ (Green Tea) which uses honey to feed the fermentation instead of brown sugar like the Korean version does.

You may already know this Jason, but here are a few pointers I have learned from watching my wife who is an unofficial master Kombucha expert making it thru the years.

1. She has purchased scoby’s online and has created her own scoby’s from
manufactured retail brands like GT’s. Regardless of how she got or made her scoby, she has always poured her very first two batches of Kombucha and Jun down the sink. She has never kept them to drink. A new scoby’s being a ‘living organism’ needs a couple of batches to grow and get a bit healthier before they can make a batch fermented enough to be worthy of drinking.

2. After you poured the first couple of batches down the drain and have finished the days of fermentation on the third batch 7-10 days, you are now ready to bottle up the juice.

3. However, once the batch is poured in the individual bottles, my wife will add different kinds of juice for flavoring and she will even add chia seeds and then she puts those air tight bottles back in a warm dark cabinet for 2 more days. Trust me, the fermentation process will continue in those bottles even with out a scoby.

4. These two days, will really help the fermentation and when you finally pop open a bottle, you will hear that famous ‘pop’ sound and the kombucha will be fizzy yet smooth with that awesome bang! And bite in the mouth and on the tongue that one can only get from a properly made fermentation.

5. I noticed in your pics, your mason jar and batch of Kombucha sitting in the kitchen cupboard about the third shelf down. Other then the cheese cloth that you had on top of the lid so it can breathe, you will want to: A. Cover the entire glass mason jar with a towel or something. The clear mason jar lets in light every time you open that closet. A small towel wrapped around the jar, will keep it dark without exposing it to light.

6. Also, B. get the batch in the jar up higher on the top of the shelf if you can. The warmth of your house rises and collects closer to the ceiling that if young can get it there. This increased warmth, especially in the cooler months will really help the fermentation process. My wife likes to put her batches of Kombucha and Jun, either in the small storage cabinet above the kitchen stove as the heat from cooking everyday rises onto those cabinets. She also will keep batches in the small storage cabinets above the dryer in the laundry room. Same exact theory of using the dryer sends the warm air up into those cabinets. I’m positive both of these are probably the warmest places in our house. Perfect environment for fermentation.

My wife also makes milk Kefir, water Kefir, Kimchi, Sauerkraut, pickled okra and even pickled eggs. The more fermented foods the better. Good gut health is the foundation to overall good health and she is a firm believer in this. Fermented foods and drinks are an important staple for this. :)

Good luck with your future batches.

Thanks for the tips. But like everything on the internet I've read quite a bit that contradicts some of your tips. For example, keeping it in a dark place. From what I've read the dark place is best, but you can leave it on the counter if you want and it will still work - just take longer. Same with the temp, warm is great, but also cooler will work....just take longer.

Never heard of dumping the first 2 batches, but I'm not going to do that. I already bottled them up. I bought my SCOBY from Fermentaholics and they looked good and healthy. Weather or not dumping the first 2 batches would help, we will never know because I already bottled them up for 2nd fermentation and going to start another batch today.

I made a "kombucha shelf" because this is more convenient for me. Might sacrifice fermentation time but it's easier to manage, to see, to get at. And no point in doing this if every time I need to get at it I'm cursing trying to wiggle my way in the little pantry door. Gotta be fun still. We'll see how this setup works and if it ends up being just crap I'll switch it around. Experimenting is half the fun.

Haven't tried juice yet though. Maybe this next batch. We always have frozen fruit so I been using that.

IMG_0621.jpeg

IMG_0622.jpeg

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I like to call it SCOBY just so I can sound smart when someone asks “what’s that?”

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Tasted one of the bottle stuff. 3 days 2nd fermentation it was good but I think it could be better. This next batch I’m going to ferment longer on the first one.

Bottled it up on day 11. Probably should have waited a few more days as it was only slightly tangy but I'm impatient. 3 raspberry and 1 strawberry. Figured for the first time those were safe bets. lots of sugar to eat up.

View attachment 1732377

And saved the old and new SCOBY for next time. I need more gallon jars though!

View attachment 1732378
Take care with the strawberry one. That fruit, in particular, produced huge reactions for me. I'd "burp" it a couple times a day and then try to open it a little at time to let out the gas, but still it foamed out a good bit of the liquid. Cherries, oranges, blueberries etc. didn't produce much of a reaction.

Great thread. I do not know how I missed this one earlier. I drink a lot of kombucha and really like it. Particularly GT brand, I suppose. I made my own for awhile, trying various different things, such as a SCOBY generated from unflavored GT and one I bought from some reliable place on line. I admit I did not take the care to develop and retain carbonation with the flip tops, etc. What I created was not bad, but I found I liked the store bought versions better. And I was generating quite a lot of it. I might give it another shot. It was fun and easy enough to do. Nice to have this detailed thread on the process.

I guess I kept mind pretty much in the dark in a warmish place. I had not heard about throwing out initial batches from a new SCOBY either, but what do I know. I did not have any difficulty with underfermentation. I would say that what I made seemed more tangy and more earthy that the store bought versions, which makes me sound a bit uncool not to like better, I suppose.

My wife has made kefir and sauerkraut, to excellent results. I love pickled eggs and have made them, but that seems different. I also suspect that fermented foods are a really good thing to have in one's diet, and I love most all of them. Homemade is usually better. I have made my own hot sauces. Some of those call for fermentation and I have not tried that, but I should.

Anyway, thanks for sharing experiences!

Tell me more about this continuous brew fermentor method?
I have a fermentor with a spigot at the bottom of it, once the fermentation is complete I bottle from the spigot.

The spigot doesn't completely empty the fermentor so I start my next batch by pouring cooled sweet tea on top of the leftover kombucha from my previous batch.

I usually will do 4 batches between completely cleaning the fermentor. It's worked well for me, I haven't had any flavor or mold issues since I started doing it.

Started a new batch today, allowed to cool to room temperature then inoculated with an unflavored bottle from my last brew.

Enjoying a bottle of the blueberry Lavender while I'm at it.
20231029_221600.jpg

Top Bottom