What's new

Kitchen tips

I keep a golf towel clipped to the cupboard right above the sink. It is reserved exclusively for wiping my hands after I wash them.

I keep a small bath-towel hooked over a drawer handle so it is readily available for drying dishes and cleaning up spills.

Car towels (there must be a name for them) work well too. I purchased a large pack at Costco. They are white and are meant to clean your car but they double as side towels too.

Another tip:

Try to use Kosher salt. I am not Jewish, but this salt really is all you need. Because it is courser, it melts better and makes it more difficult to over salt food. It also tastes better, but that is just my opinion.

Properly maintained cast iron has better heat distribution and is just as stick resistant as teflon and provides iron in your diet.

Stick blenders are worth every penny.

Buy a good wok (not the teflon coated one, but the ones used in a chinese restaraunt) and you'll be happy you did.

Have bandages and ice on hand in case of accidental cuts or burns.

I keep a plastic box in the fridge to store lemon zest so every lemon gets a shave with my zester (I like Zyliss) before juicing. Unless organic, you need to wash and brush/scrape the lemon well to remove any chemicals/wax.
The zest keeps well and I use it in several ways:
1. Add a pinch to any shake before blending
2. A pinch can bring life to bought or prepared ice cream or yogurt (mix in blender)
3. Leave a pinch in a glass full of vinegar for several weeks. It can be part of salad dressing
4. A half a cup full of zest can be used to prepare limoncello, just throw into a bottle of vodka for several weeks, filter and mix with sugar syrup
5. Add a pinch to a cup of tea to enhance the flavor
6. Mix lemonade with a pinch of zest in the blender in high speed to get a stronger flavor

The same can be done with orange zest as well

Another tip:

Try to use Kosher salt. I am not Jewish, but this salt really is all you need. Because it is courser, it melts better and makes it more difficult to over salt food. It also tastes better, but that is just my opinion.

We use Kosher salt while cooking. However, we finish the dish with Fleur de Sel Sea Salt. You won't believe how much more flavor foods have with just a pinch. Fleur de Sel along with some fresh ground pepper is all you need on a steak. If you need anything more...start buying your steaks somewhere else :lol:

We use Kosher salt while cooking. However, we finish the dish with Fleur de Sel Sea Salt. You won't believe how much more flavor foods have with just a pinch. Fleur de Sel along with some fresh ground pepper is all you need on a steak. If you need anything more...start buying your steaks somewhere else :lol:

How much does Fleur de Sel Sea Salt cost? I know some sea salts cost very little, while others cost over $30 a pound.

Really good tips, folks! I like multi-purpose items, for example the previously-mentioned Microplane tools can replace a nutmeg grater, box grater, possibly even a mandoline (for julienne). Towels can be used for hot pads, I always keep one over my shoulder when cooking.
I also like having an open container of kosher salt handy. Besides seasoning, it can be used as an abrasive for cleaning cast iron or even chopping garlic. I also keep a stack of paper plates around (although I never use them as plates). They're great for covering things in the microwave and can easily be used as funnels or to move dry ingredients around.
Looking in my kitchen drawer, I see many items taking up space that are seldom used....the lemon squeezer, knife-sharpening gimmicks, garlic peelers, etc.
As for sharp knives, besides decreasing the chance of slipping and cutting, a cut from a sharp knife heals quicker. If you have ever cut yourself with a serrated knife you know what I mean.

This is more of a cooking tip than a kitchen tip. I got it from an old Julia Child TV show many years ago and it is the greatest bit of cooking advice I have ever received:

Always dry meat before cooking it. Wet meat will never brown, properly. Paper towels are fine for the task.

Tim

Before you start a load in the dishwasher, run the hot water full blast in your sink for about 2 minutes, until it gets as hot as possible. This brings up the hottest water from the basement, or wherever your heater is located, and the dishes will come out a lot cleaner.

+1 :thumbup1:

After 22 years of marriage I have yet been able to teach my wife that trick. Works for the laundry too.

Here's how to clean cast iron cookware:

1) Fill up the pan with clean, cold water, about an inch from the top. Nothing else is needed. No salt, no vinegar, no lye. Just water.

2)Put it on the stove and turn the burner on screaming hot. Let the water get to a roaring boil, and let it boil for 10~15 minutes at least.

3)Turn off the heat, and wait for the water to stop boiling ... pour the water down the drain. BE CAREFUL it doesn't splash back on you.

4)Repeat Step 1.

• Do this process 3 times.
  • The first time, the water will get an ugly brown crud on the top.
  • Second time, the water will boil up white.
  • Third time, the water will boil up clear. That tells you that you're done.

5) Re-season the pot after it cools down.

Before you start a load in the dishwasher, run the hot water full blast in your sink for about 2 minutes, until it gets as hot as possible. This brings up the hottest water from the basement, or wherever your heater is located, and the dishes will come out a lot cleaner.
I don't understand how running the hot water for two minutes will make my wife get cleaner dishes, but I'll try....:biggrin:

okay, seriousness: when you accidentally touch a hot surface, don't go immediately to the cold water/ice; instead, apply pressure to the affected area with direct skin to skin contact - this will help the skin get back to body temperature, and reduce chance of blistering.
it doth worketh well

When chopping/slicing jalapenos or habaneros, wear a pair of those cheap powder free latex gloves. It is near impossible to wash the oils and capsaicin from your fingers afterwards.

Invariably you will need to rub your eye or scratch under nose soon after cutting up these fine little peppers. The gloves will save you lots of pain.

When chopping/slicing jalapenos or habaneros, wear a pair of those cheap powder free latex gloves. It is near impossible to wash the oils and capsaicin from your fingers afterwards.

Invariably you will need to rub your eye or scratch under nose soon after cutting up these fine little peppers. The gloves will save you lots of pain.

+1

Even after several hours, the oils will still be on your hands (unless you used gloves). If you do not wear gloves, do not even think about touching your eyes.

Top Bottom