What's new

Kitchen tips

Easy method to cleaning cast iron:

• After you have removed the food from the cookware, allow it to cool, at room temperature.
  • Rinse well, and use a non-aggressive scrubbing device. No steel wool, chore boys, and no to the scotch brite pads. These all remove the patina. I use a plastic scrubby thing.
  • Scrub the cookware clean of all food residue.
  • For electric stove users - put the cookware on the burner, and turn the heat on to high. IMPORTANT -> set a timer for a minute to a minute and a half.
  • Allow the cookware to cool, store normally, and you are done.
Both of our methods are correct ... yours is good for cleaning after each meal. Mine is meant for the once or twice a year, take it down to bare metal and start all over again kind of cleaning.

Much like cleaning a badger brush, a good rinse and shake-out is fine for daily maintenance ... the borax/shampoo/conditioner bath is needed after several months of use.

I worked in a (very good) deli as a teenager...

When cutting onions, especially if yr cutting a lot of them, peel them & slice off the ends then soak them in water for a while--cold water, just let them float, 5-10 min will do.

Then, when cutting, breathe exclusively through your mouth. If you can resist breathing through yr nose, you'll avoid the tears.

[/LIST]
Both of our methods are correct ... yours is good for cleaning after each meal. Mine is meant for the once or twice a year, take it down to bare metal and start all over again kind of cleaning.

Much like cleaning a badger brush, a good rinse and shake-out is fine for daily maintenance ... the borax/shampoo/conditioner bath is needed after several months of use.

Understood.

I rarely take them down to the bare metal, but when I do, I use EZ Off oven cleaner. Spray on, wait an hour or so, scrub off to reveal bare metal.

After you do a load of laundry, leave the doors open on the washer and dryer until next time. This way, they will air out, and avoid that musty odor.

After you do a load of laundry, leave the doors open on the washer and dryer until next time. This way, they will air out, and avoid that musty odor.

If I leave the door to my dryer open the light inside stays on.

Everybody has a hand towel in the kitchen. I hang mine so that the wet side is on the outside where it can dry a little faster. And I also found that when I pick it up again I naturally do it in such a way that I'm holding the dry side.

Not sure if this one's been covered....

Got garlic on your fingers (from chopping, for ex)? Got a stainless steel sink? Wash your hands normally to remove the surface garlic, but leave them wet. Then rub your hands briefly around the sink. The stainless will neutralize the garlic odor.

Top Bottom