What's new

Kitchen tips

For my own (unoriginal) contribution, try brining. A cup of salt and a cup of sugar in enough warmish water to cover a whole chicken for an hour. Rinse a little and pat skin with random dried herbs. Then bake it on a decent rack 22 minutes a side and 24 minutes breast up at about 425 degrees normally measured temp (fahrenheit obviously). Unbelievably different than what you would expect from a roasted chicken.

That reminds me, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, blanch your ribs before cooking. That will make them taste much better.

Be Think organized. Get everything you need to complete a task before you start. Lay it out, walk the process through in your head before you begin.

On a related note ... the most useful tip I've ever found on how to be a good cook (or a good anything) is READ THE INSTRUCTIONS. This applies not just to recipes, but also kitchen gadgetry, small appliances, and even ingredients.

Everything you buy at the supermarket comes with lots of information on the label, on how to prepare it, serving suggestions, nutritional data, and warnings about allergies.

The more information you have, the easier it will be to cook, and the better your results will turn out.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
That reminds me, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, blanch your ribs before cooking. That will make them taste much better.

That reminds me, NEVER, NEVER blanch your ribs before cooking. :lol:

Unless you plan on drinking the liquid, because that's where all the flavor will be.

Microwave ovens are notorious for collecting gunk inside. I read a tip in Fine Cooking:
Take a bowl and fill it halfway with an approx 3:1 water:vinegar solution. Zap it for 30-40sec, then leave it sit 10-15min. This loosens splatters and makes cleanup much easier.
Of course the best tip is to clean as you go!

Microwave ovens are notorious for collecting gunk inside. I read a tip in Fine Cooking:
Take a bowl and fill it halfway with an approx 3:1 water:vinegar solution. Zap it for 30-40sec, then leave it sit 10-15min. This loosens splatters and makes cleanup much easier.
Of course the best tip is to clean as you go!
I don't know if zapping 30~40 seconds will be long enough. When I did it, I put it on until the solution would come to a BOIL for 30~40 seconds, then let it sit for 10~15 minutes. Wipe with a sponge, then leave the door open for several more hours so that everything will dry out.

I also keep a small ramekin filled with baking soda in the corner of the microwave. It helps to absorb odors.

Here's how to clean cast iron cookware:

1) Fill up the pan with clean, cold water, about an inch from the top. Nothing else is needed. No salt, no vinegar, no lye. Just water.

2)Put it on the stove and turn the burner on screaming hot. Let the water get to a roaring boil, and let it boil for 10~15 minutes at least.

3)Turn off the heat, and wait for the water to stop boiling ... pour the water down the drain. BE CAREFUL it doesn't splash back on you.

4)Repeat Step 1.

• Do this process 3 times.
  • The first time, the water will get an ugly brown crud on the top.
  • Second time, the water will boil up white.
  • Third time, the water will boil up clear. That tells you that you're done.

5) Re-season the pot after it cools down.

Not to be too critical, but this seems like overkill to the nth degree, and harmful to the patina on the cookware. I have found over the years, this method to clean cast iron works quite well, and preserves the patina, so re-seasoning is a rare (at best) chore.

Easy method to cleaning cast iron:

• After you have removed the food from the cookware, allow it to cool, at room temperature.
  • Rinse well, and use a non-aggressive scrubbing device. No steel wool, chore boys, and no to the scotch brite pads. These all remove the patina. I use a plastic scrubby thing.
  • Scrub the cookware clean of all food residue.
  • For electric stove users - put the cookware on the burner, and turn the heat on to high. IMPORTANT -> set a timer for a minute to a minute and a half.
  • Allow the cookware to cool, store normally, and you are done.
Gas stove users may need to adjust the time to allow the cookware to cool.

I have found that allowing the cookware to cool completely before cleaning preserves the seasoning, and allows it to get better over time. By de-glazing the cookware, the patina is always needing to be replaced.

Another tip -

Leave a bowl of white vinegar on the counter. White vinegar is a great deodorizer, and removes cooking odors very quickly. Try it after cooking bacon to get the full effect!

Another vinegar tip -

cover the bottom of your grungy stainless steel cookware with vinegar. Usually a quick soak, and some mild aggitation is all that is required to restore the shine to the cookware.

Some of these may be old hat but they were revelations to me when I found them out:

I keep a hand towel on my person when ever working in the kitchen, I tie a knot in one end stuff it in my pocket to keep it on me.

Lightly salt your meat when you get home from the store, it permeates the meat better and will give a little longer shelf life to it.

If you don’t mind the strange looks, safety or swim goggles are great when chopping a lot of onions, otherwise a couple of wooden matches between your teeth cut down the tear factor.

For peeling Tomatoes, cut a small x in the bottom and dunk them in boiling water. It shouldn’t tale too long for the skin to reticulate and make for easy peeling.

For peeling garlic cloves, if you are going to mince it (or are not too concerned with it looking pretty), crush it under the flat end of your knife and remove the skin.

Grilling tip for those who have serious gunk baked on their grates (charcoal grill, of course):

Light your charcoal, dump it out and put your cooking grate in place. Then throw an el cheapo foil pan over where you are going to cook. Leave it in place with the grill lid off for about 10 minutes. This will superheat the grate just like a self-cleaning oven and incinerate all the junk. You'll see white ash after, which you can just take your grill brush to.

You can also do this by covering the grate with foil, as long as you leave areas at the side open to let air through.

The pan trick worked like a charm Scotto. I grilled up a pork loin with jerk rub last night. I took my drip pan and inverted it over the coals it did exactly as you described. Beats my usual method of putting the grate in and lid on and letting the grill preheat and then scrape. That also works, but the grate doesn't get as hot as your method.

Asian groceries are great places to get a good utilitarian wok at a great price. A wok should be treated like a piece of cast iron as well, seasoned and allowed to develop carbon. Also pick up the cham that is used to scoop and slide stuff around in it. I have all sorts of kitchen stuff and other gadgetry. After my cordless framing nailer, my 15 year old $15 wok is the next thing I would grab in a fire. Get those two things, wake the wife and I'm ready to call the insurance agent.

But I digress. Asian groceries are also great for bulk rice and interesting spices and sauces. Black bean this or that mixed with chili paste things you can use as marinades for chicken or pork or as the seasoning in a quick stir fry with above-referenced wok.

Finally, and the thing I was thinking of when I started this post, asian groceries have this utensil used to clean a wok. It is a bundle of 5-8 inch bamboo spears (I think it is bamboo--some type of reed) about 1.5 inches in diameter. Picture a shaving brush made of stiff reed with not much of a bloom. This thing is amazing for scrubbing pots and pans. Does not mar teflon or enameled or seasoned cookware but is very effective. One lasts more than a year and they are a buck or two.

There is a Restaurant Supply store near you, most likely. Find it and prepare to be awed at what you can get cheaply. Stock up on sheet pans, etc.

Bonus: while you are there, pick up a bunch of cafeteria trays. These run less than $5 each typically (they are what you used to use in school). These are great for prep and mise en place since they are dishwasher safe, larger and lighter than plates.

Some good tips here!

Buy and wear a good quality chefs apron whenever you are cooking. (Its nice if it goes in the laundry from time to time too..) Chef's toques (hats) are for those who seriously think they may one day get a Michelin star.

Never buy pre-made croutons. Save, slice, cube and toast stale bread. Toss with a little olive oil, salt, and fresh ground pepper before toasting. You salads will sing - and your guests will be impressed too. A quarter loaf of homemade croutons will serve a dozen or more salads - and lasts at least a couple of weeks.

You ought to have (at least) four cutting boards: separate plastic, washable ones for a) seafood; b) vegetables; c) other meat; and d) a good maple one for cutting bread. Cutting boards used on seafood or meat (especially chicken) really need sanitizing with hot water and detergent after each use.

Water will always boil much faster if you leave the lid on a pot. (Strange how often I have to explain this to some people.)

Flour gets old. If you are an occasional baker, write the month and year on the package of flour with a magic marker when you open it. If its more than a couple months old, your cake is probably not going to work out so well.

For Pete's sake, Warm the plates when serving hot food to guests. Even good china can take a couple minutes in a hot or warm oven. Warm plates will keep your meat and vegetable at an appetizing temperature far longer than cold ones - which have a habit of sucking the warmth out of most food. Especially useful at Thanksgiving or other large sit down meals.

That reminds me, NEVER, NEVER blanch your ribs before cooking. :lol:

Unless you plan on drinking the liquid, because that's where all the flavor will be.

Blanching them makes them a whole world more tender. Considering that ribs are generally dressed in a sauce, I think it's a fair trade off. YMMV, I guess.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Flour gets old. If you are an occasional baker, write the month and year on the package of flour with a magic marker when you open it. If its more than a couple months old, your cake is probably not going to work out so well.
All food gets old. Freshness is key.

Have a decent plan in place to make sure all your food is not too old. (When I visit friends for the weekend and when I follow up the "help yourself" breakfast instructions to find that half of the food in the fridge is mouldy or well past stated expiry dates or both :eek: I find myself more interested than ever in sticking to my latest diet.) The only thing more expensive than throwing out half of your food because it went bad, is paying for the stomach pump because you didn't.

Know how long something will last ... your 'window of opportunity', so to speak.

Know how much you will likely consume within that window, and don't buy more than that!

Make sure you "rotate your stock" with every new purchase, so that the oldest items get used first, before their newer replacements. (With flour, sugar, rice, and other items that will be put into containers, be sure that the containers have been cleaned of the old stuff before the new stuff is poured on top!
Good idea, but if you already have a typical, vertically slotted wooden block, my way is cheaper. :tongue_sm

Well, if that were coming from Mister Frugal, I might take it seriously. :tongue_sm:tongue_sm

All food gets old. Freshness is key.

Have a decent plan in place to make sure all your food is not too old. (When I visit friends for the weekend and when I follow up the "help yourself" breakfast instructions to find that half of the food in the fridge is mouldy or well past stated expiry dates or both :eek: I find myself more interested than ever in sticking to my latest diet.) The only thing more expensive than throwing out half of your food because it went bad, is paying for the stomach pump because you didn't.

Know how long something will last ... your 'window of opportunity', so to speak.

Know how much you will likely consume within that window, and don't buy more than that!

Make sure you "rotate your stock" with every new purchase, so that the oldest items get used first, before their newer replacements. (With flour, sugar, rice, and other items that will be put into containers, be sure that the containers have been cleaned of the old stuff before the new stuff is poured on top!

Well, if that were coming from Mister Frugal, I might take it seriously. :tongue_sm:tongue_sm

Absolutely. An acronym to sum it up: FIFO. First In, First Out.

Peeling fresh ginger can be a pain, but a teaspoon will get into all of the nooks and crannies and make quick work of it. It removes the skin better than a vegetable peeler.

You can also Freeze your ginger, use a knife to peel it, and grate it (using any manual grater).

Top Bottom