What's new

"King of Shaves is King"

Interesting blog, as I like to travel light myself (but still shave decently!). I just left the following comment:
OK, this might be a bit beyond what most here would consider a "1bag" kit, but bear with me. I'm a big fan of traditional wetshaving (with proper shaving lather, shave brush, and single blade safety razor) and I've made a number of tutorial videos about it, including one about travel with wetshaving gear (its at the "Author URL" link). I'll have to weigh everything when I get home tonight but my plastic travel razor, synthetic brush, and cream containers can't weigh more than a few ounces.

FWIW I've tried KOS oil (though it may have not been the version mentioned in the blog post) but didn't think very much of it....

--Mark

The KoS oil is OK, but I have used better oils. I think the KoS gels are OK for a brushless shave. I still use them whenever I have to SEE what I'm shaving (i.e., if I have a cut on my face that I don't want to aggravate while it heals, or something like that).

of all the stuff in a can i thought the king of shaves stuff was pretty much the best. never tried the oil though.

king of shaves is king, of what im not sure... maybe some small eastern european ex soviet republic or something...

I had been going with Lush non lathering shave cream when in a pinch for space, one of their offerings comes in a tiny squishy plastic bottle. Even more space saving is that it can also be used as aftershave balm, I thought it was a reasonable aftershave balm the first few times I used it then I read the label to find out what was in it and found out it was shave cream:blushing:. It's makes for quite a soothing shave which suits just nicely when all you are able to do is scrape your face with a disposable, far better than the KoS oil imo.

A local chemist had a load of small shaving brushes for 49p each at the weekend, cheapest new shaving brush ever? So now I have a rather sad looking but serviceable shaving brush I can take on trips it may never return from without stressing too much.

I travel by car, so my travel kit need not be TSA specific. One DE, blades, soap, stick or cream (German travel case, TOBS, or C and E, depending on my preference), alum stick and an ASB and AS. If G=d forbid, I should have to fly, I'd break out an old cartridge and dread everyshave, every day.

I've used a few of the KOS products - meh at best.

There are other brushless products that are far better.

I have used the KOS gel for some time. With a Fusion Power razor it works very well, but not so good with my DE Merkur. I have also used one of the shave oils, which again was ok with the Fusion Power, but not with a DE. In any case, where is the FUN with oil or with KOS gel? It is much more relaxing to brush up lather with shaving soap or creme. I do, however, take the oil in my shaving kit when travelling by air--even tubes of the gel have been confiscated in the past,and I don't want to lose any of my cremes due to an oversized container.

for the same price you could get a small tube of c.o. bigelow. and a small travel tub brush isn't going to weigh that much.

Top Bottom