What's new

King of SE razors

16044258373207741918567830567443.jpg

Thanks for all the recommendations. I'm going to have to give the MMOC a try and find one of the Henckels wedge razors a try. I've tried a few different vintage razors and haven't found one I love like my Cobra Classic.

Excuse my noob ness here but what does "MMOC" stand for?

Ah that is what the OC part stood for. LOL thanks. I am interested in a single blade razor to edge up my cheek lines on my beard. I use a DE now but its a bit hard to use if for that. Would a GEM MMOC be a good choice for this?
An injector would be better due to the smaller head. I actually use a Merkur 907 mustache razor to trim my hedge.
View attachment 1178820
Yea anything where you can see how the blade is contacting the skin for a precision stroke would work. I would have suggested a folding Feather AC SS. Perfect for squaring up hair in a single stroke and great excuse to have an awesome open blade razor 😂

If we're talking AC blade razors then after trying just about all of them here's my top 5.

1. King Cobra - for me a tad bit smoother than the Cobra Classic and I prefer the handle.
2. Cobra Classic - Excellent razor
3. Paradigm AC - A little too mild but outstanding, excellent build quality.
4. Blackland Vector - nimble and efficient. A bit more aggressive than I'd like but another outstanding offering.
5. ATT SE1 - A comfortable efficient razor. Probably a bit underrated. Much better with a different handle than the bamboo one it came with.

If I were to knock the Cobra razors it would be their build quality as they are a bit clunky for lack or a better description. The Asylum AC was a work of art when it came to machining but I couldn't get along with it. The General, RazoRock Hawk and Ikon AC offerings were a bit more cheaply made and not what I usually look for in a razor.

The Blackland Sabre is not an AC blade razor but I found it to be outstanding. One I definitely wouldn't mind owning.

I can't say anything from a comparative standpoint (because I don't have experience with many others), but the Paradigm Ti SE is really nice.

The Shovelhead doesn't get anywhere near enough attention as one of the great classics.

That's sad but very true...!

After trying all kind of SE's always back to the Shovelheads....
These can talk...!
The raspy sound... The efficiency.. The history... The beauty... The wonderful design...
And still you can find NOS sets on the bay!!
Bought 2 never used last week~on the way
(total 12 I'll have😁)

I love modern SE's...
But (Old Is Gold)

Yes AC Razors are Fantastic..
Yes micromatics are amazing...
Yes injectors are beauties...

Still there's something with lather catchers, Damaskeene, 1912, 1914,1924.....
Even much easier to revamp and replate 👌🏼

Tried to send few micromatics, always they said no we don't do micromatics... Sorry! 😊

So, Shovelheads are future proof 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👍🏼

GEM started it... Ever-Ready refined it ❤

As GEM ads always says:
AVOID 5 O'CLOCK SHADOW 😁

Ever-Ready 1924 - AKA Shovelhead 😊
*(Round Comb) 👌🏼
My favorite razor. My daily driver. The only razor type I own. There are many variations. I have the round comb with the pedestal (cast) base with a knurled handle. It make the handle a little longer.

It is getting some love, which is not often.

Supply SE for me. I've got a stack of single edge razors in the rotation, both vintage and new, and when I'm bleary-eyed and don't have time for a real shave, I reach for the SE every time.

Whether I'm setting up a proper 10 minute man-spa experience to produce cheeks reminiscent of an infant's delicate bottom, or I need to do a quick 2-pass with canned chemicals, the SE comes through. No runs, no drips, no errors.

King of SE’s

1924 ER Shovel head. Paired with the GEM PTFE coated blade.

Don’t hate. I know it gets vey little love.

You the man.

Top Bottom