What's new

King of SE razors

Greetings all,

I have been away from the wonderful world of wetshaving over the past year and recently got back into it. I'm curious to know what others think is the best of best SE razors of there.

I've been using my Cobra Classic extensively over the past month and fell in love with it all over again. Love the blade feel, the efficiency, aggressiveness, and the looks. I haven't had the same love for any other SE razor out there. A close second is my beloved Ikon Tech (although that is a DE razor).

Specifically, which SE razors do you find that can give the tried and true Cobra Classic a run for its money?

Have not had the pleasure of trying the Cobra. Right now the Colonial General and Blackland Vector are the top of the heap for me.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member

1529701107538.gif

MMOC/PTFE for its 4th shave.

WK.

Maggard Synthetic.

~100 hours since last shave. I dont think it would matter if it was around 200 hours.

Single buffing pass ATG. One clean up. The MMOC is all business and this was business as usual.

Nice comfy BBS. What more could be asked for.

Interesting razor. Are the blades hard to come by? Also, how long do they last? I have a coarse beard and need an extremely efficient razor.

They are readily available via Amazon, Sally’s Beauty Supply, etc. It takes hair shaper blades. I have Fromm Edge Ahead and Personna blades. I am still on my first Fromm blade, at shave 26. I don’t have a coarse beard, though. For that, you might be better served with an MMOC.

They are readily available via Amazon, Sally’s Beauty Supply, etc. It takes hair shaper blades. I have Fromm Edge Ahead and Personna blades. I am still on my first Fromm blade, at shave 26. I don’t have a coarse beard, though. For that, you might be better served with an MMOC.

Thanks for the information. I have tried a Gem 1912 Demaskeen (sp?). Plenty efficient and gave me lots of weepers. Haha. Ended up selling it because the handle is way too short for my hands.

Which GEM razors have a good handle length? 80+mm would be preferred.

Thanks for the information. I have tried a Gem 1912 Demaskeen (sp?). Plenty efficient and gave me lots of weepers. Haha. Ended up selling it because the handle is way too short for my hands.

No problem! The MMOC handle up to the head is just over 76mm. If you count your index finger way up on the neck, it’s 82mm.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead

I hear ya. My fave SE is probably the Blackland Sabre. No other Gem or Gemish razor I've ever used (from Gem Jr. Bar up to MMOC) gives me such wonderful shaves on the first two uses (L1 plate) or such wonderful shaves on the last two uses (L2 plate). The two shaves in between first and last are always the absolute best on the blade with any Gemish razor, but with the Sabre they're pure heaven.

Advantage, you get to choose your handle.

Another Gemish that I like is the PAA Starling V2, particularly with the OC plate. Not NEAR as smooth as the Sabre. The Starling was my first experience of a Gemish razor that could go all the way to BBS for me. 1912s are just a good start, the MMOC is close but rather abrasive. The Starling's a little rough but it was the best thing going until I pulled up my big-boy pants and bought the Sabre.

I also have the ATT G1, now sadly discontinued. This was the ultimate hotrodder's razor, with all kinds of room for user tweaks and hacks that improve the performance. Despite all the work I lavished on it, still not as good as the Sabre however.

O.H.

Ever Ready Streamline for me. Second place is a GEM 1912.

But the GEM is in second place by only a whisker.

IMO, the kind of single edge razors is GEM Micromatic Open Comb.

I assume you mean the "king" of SE razors is the Gem MMOC. That statement IMO holds a lotta truth, though YMMV.

Henckels Rapide all the way, works with edge blades and GEMs. It gives one of the closest shaves ever, while being gentle to the skin.

Thanks for all the recommendations. I'm going to have to give the MMOC a try and find one of the Henckels wedge razors a try. I've tried a few different vintage razors and haven't found one I love like my Cobra Classic.

Top Bottom