What's new

Karve Razor

Hi all,

Man, I was so pumped to finally receive my Karve razor, but these last two shaves have been rough. I'm using the C plate with a blade that had always been smooth for me (persona blue), but I'm getting weepers like crazy. I do believe there is simply too much blade gap.

Has anyone here used the A plate? How has that plate worked for you?

The damn razor is a beauty, and I don't want to return it, so I'm hoping some of you have had success with the A plate. Enough to convince me to try and find one.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

First thing I would do is try other blades. The Christopher Bradley razor probably has different geometry than what you're used to and so other blades may be better suited to it for your skin.

I have had excellent results on the Karve plates all the way from AA up to D . No cuts or irritation. And I even enjoy the E when I am on an old smooth blade like maybe 70 uses or so.

For me, the C is a great blend between smoothness and efficient cutting . The A still really cuts well, but it just does it more smoothly than the C.

If you try other blades and still have problems, I might consider getting the A plate like you are thinking. But the AA also might be worth considering since your reaction to the C is so adverse.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Oh, and with the C plate, you may want to play with your angles. You may find an angle that is just right without having to change plates.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Reactions: nav
Hi all,

Man, I was so pumped to finally receive my Karve razor, but these last two shaves have been rough. I'm using the C plate with a blade that had always been smooth for me (persona blue), but I'm getting weepers like crazy. I do believe there is simply too much blade gap.

Has anyone here used the A plate? How has that plate worked for you?

The damn razor is a beauty, and I don't want to return it, so I'm hoping some of you have had success with the A plate. Enough to convince me to try and find one.

I'm sorry to hear you've been having a rough time with your Karve. I have the c-plate which is perfect for me. Have you tried using an ASTRA blade? It works really well with Karve. The blade gap is more aggressive than my EJ but I still seem to achieve a very smooth shave. I would say keep working on your angle

Let us know how you get on

I use the E plate most of the time but have the D as well. As others have suggested, try a few different blades and angles before you give up on it.

From what I’ve seen, most people prefer C-F so finding a trade partner for the C shouldn’t be to difficult. In fact, I originally ordered A,B,C and traded my A for a D.

I went back and forth, finally decided I wanted the B, C, and D. Now, after reading this thread, I'm a little worried about the D. Lol.

Well, I'll know on December 25 If I made a good choice. It's coming for Christmas. Fingers crossed!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I have B/C/D/E and use Gillette Nacets. I can get a smooth, irritation-free shave with all of the plates and find the razor to be very carefree to use. I did have to adjust my angle a bit. I find that the razor reforms best when used at a slightly shallower angle (move handle away from face). Change up your blade and ride the cap a little bit and see if that doesn’t sort out your issue. Good luck!

Reactions: nav
For me any new razor means a leaning curve! I need to figure out the optimal angle, blade, etc. Stick with this and you may find that your opinion changes. If not, then you can try other plates, etc.

I have the C and D plate and find the C plate to be exceptional - and from the first shave. One thing to keep in mind, however. The razor is heavy and you must be careful about putting pressure no pressure on the blade.

Karve-D, PolSilver. Not quite as efficient as my Timeless 95 but a pleasure to use.
proxy.php

This razor consistently surprises me. I had a two pass shave with the A plate and rode the cap, ended up super smooth and no irritation, even with too many strokes! Typically, I use B and C plates for daily shaves. But when I take a little more time, or rather, focus on the shave angle, I have received fantastic shaves with all the plates in my drawer (A through D).

Ride the cap, and put up a Want To Buy post in the BST. Hopefully you'll hit the magic soon! This razor does so well by me that I sold off the razors except my Slim and Tech.

Eric; M, Karve Diem, BOSC

It's the B plate for me with a Feather blade. Magical.

I have B/C/D/E and use Gillette Nacets. I can get a smooth, irritation-free shave with all of the plates and find the razor to be very carefree to use. I did have to adjust my angle a bit. I find that the razor reforms best when used at a slightly shallower angle (move handle away from face). Change up your blade and ride the cap a little bit and see if that doesn’t sort out your issue. Good luck!

Great advice above.

I have used all 7 plates quite a bit and for (daily/weekday) shaves the B plate shines for me with sharp blades like a Nacet or Kai. Good luck in your search. The joy in the Karve is Chris Kirchen's chatter free construction. Wonderful design!

After two days growth, I decided to try a Gillette 7 o'clock in the Karve. After a quick hand buffing of the blade, I lathered up and went to work.

The shave was much smoother. I still feel the blade more than I'm used to, but I did not have irritation this time around. The razor does, however, tend to cut me where I have an imprefection on my skin. But still, I did enjoy the shave tonight.

I still look forward to trying out an A or B plate.

Top Bottom