What's new

Karve Overlander

The Blutt reminds me of my Claymore Evo, I think... it looks industrial... like a precision instrument. That might be why I'm drawn to it... my own personal bias coming out. Now.. tell me... (Don't look, Mr Shavv... you won't like this)... wouldn't a Timeless Ti Crown handle look nice with the Blutt head sitting on top of it?
It might be an abomination, but I have that handle and can take a pic later to see.

I have just done a head shave and a beard shave with the stainless Overlander, and I agree with the drag that has been mentioned. The actual cutting of the hair feels smooth, but it feels like there's very little glide on the skin, even with slick soap. It doesn't seem to cause any skin irritation though. I'll have to experiment a little with the angle and see if that helps.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Used my brass Overlander last night. After adjusting my expectations of “steep,” its gentleness and efficiency were present. So smooth I had to check the mirror to make sure I wasn’t Billy Dee Williams.

Trying to resist urge to buy CuBr from Karve or aluminum Overlander with orange-tipped Knopf Pommel handle until receiving much less smooth razor next month.

thombrogan

The Karve brass Overlander has become my razor for when I’m falling asleep, but still want a close, and comfortable shave. A relatively fresh Gillette Nacet practically guarantees a quick DFS+ result, but every other blade I’ve used eventually gives a DFS result as well.

Gosh, I guess I should be elated that all my fancy pretty razors are shelved. This copper OL is magnificent with a very steep angle. I have zero drag issues even with a poorer lather. Every face is different and I did experience faint drag in the beginning. It’s such a pleasure to use and lately I’m enjoying 4 shaves on German Wilkinsons and Personna Meds equally.
While it gives me a BBS shave with little thought, the smoothness doesn’t last as long as when I use a Slim. My skin does feel better though using the OL.
That’s my thought of the moment, happy weekend to all!

The Karve brass Overlander has become my razor for when I’m falling asleep, but still want a close, and comfortable shave. A relatively fresh Gillette Nacet practically guarantees a quick DFS+ result, but every other blade I’ve used eventually gives a DFS result as well.
I fully agree with you, and if I focus more during the shave, the results are outstanding!

Gosh, I guess I should be elated that all my fancy pretty razors are shelved. This copper OL is magnificent with a very steep angle. I have zero drag issues even with a poorer lather. Every face is different and I did experience faint drag in the beginning. It’s such a pleasure to use and lately I’m enjoying 4 shaves on German Wilkinsons and Personna Meds equally.
While it gives me a BBS shave with little thought, the smoothness doesn’t last as long as when I use a Slim. My skin does feel better though using the OL.
OK, while I applaud your enthusiasm for the copper OL, I really don't need any more prompty to it the Button!!

cdd0e4e4e40e7aa97b61de50381deaa7.jpg

:001_tt2:

I also like German Wilkies with the Overlander.....great combo. Nice grab on the copper version.

I did a side by side with cb d plate and brass Overlander today again. The overlander will get plugged with thick lather but it is close to the d plate. I still think the D plate is a bit more efficient but does have more blade feel. Overlander is a bit more autopilot. I agree with another commenter that the Overlander shines on the Atg pass. I was trying to get rid of one but the Overlander is good enough to keep for now. I will say that quality control is top notch with Karve. I’ve paid more for other razors and the QC is worse. Kudos to Karve. Now they have new handles - Lordy.

Is this essentially a more aggressive tech? They look so similar.
Not really. The Christopher Bradley was based on the Tech, the whole story is on Reddit. Some would argue this an evolution of the CB, others that it's a clean sheet design. It was suppose to provide a more steep angle friendly design, but reports are that it's only steeper compared to the CB. And arguably, Gillette intended you to use the Tech steep and it's a lower profile head, etc. YMMV, I don't have one. The domed cap is similar to a couple modern razors that I have and probably contributes to the smooth shaves people report. I have no idea why I am answering... :c6:

thombrogan

Techs generally weigh less, cost less, have more varieties, have exposed blade tabs, and don’t let me get a mindless, close, and comfortable all-ATG shave. For a comparable vintage razor, the Ever-Ready 1912 also does well.

I would loan you the razors if I was in America. At least one of them will be your thing.

Of the three I rank the Overlander 1st because it is the only razor I’ve ever used that will GUARANTEE me an easy 9-10hr long BBS shave with no redness or irritation ever. I’ve never had less than a perfect shave with it, no matter if I mess up my lather or my skin isn’t in the mood for a shave. You may be like me and once you’ve shaved with it you don’t care in the slightest how the handle or the head look. Beauty is as beauty does. It was for me just like @MaineYooper said - one of those ‘stop the presses’ shaves. But I agree it doesn’t look as special as it is.

I rank the Athena 1st too because it is 90% of the Overlander’s shave longevity and equal mildness, but with a high end finish, beautiful design, that genius engineering that gives a unique shaving feel - the illusion of positive blade feel without actual blade feel, and the fantastic water channels. It does feel really special and it is the one razor that deserves to be sold in a tailor made mahogany box. And it’s an incredible price for what it is.

And I rank the Blutt 1.20 1st because it is so impeccably manufactured, its beauty is in its simplicity, and it is a true high efficiency razor but shaves with so much more smoothness than any of my other efficiency monsters. It’s a highly effective tool that works brilliantly, with nothing added that you don’t need. It’s a pure shaving experience.

So they are really all 1st, but I just can’t stop being delighted with the shave the Overlander gives me. GUARANTEED. It’s not especially pretty and it doesn’t have a high end finish (though it is made extremely well), but it’s slightly more 1st place than the other two. I would date the Lambda and Blutt, and marry the Overlander (although, unlike wives, thankfully you CAN have three razors).
Ah, but you still have to be able to AFFORD all 3, lol! Thanks for the review. You have me seriously interested in the Overlander.

Top Bottom