What's new

Karve Diem

Will you be ordering a SS Karve?

• Yes

• No

• Later when the price drops

• I’m so torn...

Results are only viewable after voting.
As someone who has the Karve in brass already and is pleased with it (C plate is my favorite), I am intrigued by the potential stainless steel version. With the idea that cost may be a potential issue, I wonder if stainless steel top caps and plates will be available by themselves.

It might be a more affordable option (trial option) to get the more maintenance friendly stainless steel in the parts more likely to be a PITA to dry/clean on a regular basis in brass. Until I see the actual availability and pricing of stainless steel parts and the whole razor, consider me simply curious vs. excited. I am not opposed to a steel/brass Karve frankenrazor, but my skin won't care how it gets a great shave even if my eyes might.

Buy Brass black, put an antique look on it and voila, no need to worry about wiping it down every time.

Another update:

proxy.php

Alright everyone... We’re getting close on stainless steel. Lots of progress this week, but it turns out there were a bunch of little things to wrap up. Among other things, I added an extra step of polishing to make the bead blasting cleaner and I’m setting up an in-house passivation to treat the stainless (look it up on Wikipedia). The newsletter is just about done and will go out as soon as possible. Buuuuut...I’m shooting for the release to be mid next right now!

And here's a link to passivation on wikipedia.

The asking price is what it is no matter the maker. As consumers we have to decide what we are willing to pay. It is supply and demand. I have 2 Game Changers and am very happy with them. They are at a price point that I am comfortable with. Others have a higher limit on disposable income. I am sure the SS Karve will be built very well and will last a lifetime. We are spoiled for choice these days and that is good for us as consumers but makes it hard for the manufacturers to compete. Think about the early SS razor companies that are no longer in business.
+1

The cool thing about a free market is the buyer sets the price. Really. Called the law of supply and demand. Full disclosure: I have a Karve. Love it. Use it daily and clean it after every shave. Don’t mind the cleaning and I love the patina that’s forming.

Will I get the stainless version? Probably. And in mho the quality of the craftsmanship, attention to detail, tolerances and, most importantly, shaving experience of the brass Karve are equal to any of the other high end manufacturers out there.

Interesting that some of the individuals here are knocking a product that they admit they don’t own or haven’t tried and have definitely not seen, used or held in its stainless form.

And will the stainless be worth the price? The market will let us know.

Oh, and it’s not gouging when no one has to buy it. It’s called choice.

I have had both (I recently sold the Karve). I find the Tatara to be incredibly smooth and adequately efficient (I currently have the sb plate, but I have the oc plate on the way from Portugal). I had a Karve sb E plate, it was fine, but much less comfortable in use (to me).
I shave every day (except Saturday) for work so my preferences are for a razor that strikes a nice balance between smooth and efficient. I love the Tatara but found the Karve uncomfortable. I probably could have purchased a less aggressive base plate, but I ended up selling the Karve and using the proceeds toward a different razor.
So, for me the Tatara > Karve but as always YMMV.

I also favor my Karve for smoothness and efficiency and will pick up the SS version. Any hints as to when?
Well, “soon” is really a subjective thing it seems lol. That’s all to say, soon, but who really knows.

I might get a SS, but my excitement is starting to dissipate. I’m fickle. Lol . .

Well, “soon” is really a subjective thing it seems lol. That’s all to say, soon, but who really knows.

I might get a SS, but my excitement is starting to dissipate. I’m fickle. Lol . .

I suspect Chris will be issuing an announcement sometime soon. I am sure he is trying to build inventory of the various parts to meet the expected demand.

When the SS version is released, I predict it will be like Grooming Department or Talbot Shaving releasing new soaps. In a day or two, most of the parts will be sold out and you will have to wait for new parts to be machined.

The Karve SS razors will be expensive compared to some SS razors, but if the release price is below other quality CNC machined SS razors, they will sell quickly. For those unwilling to pay the price, there is always the brass Karve, Timeless Bronze, or SS razors that are not CNC machined.

20190618_154814.jpg

I got the SB-C in March which has performed excellently right from the beginning. The only other razor I've used more than a couple times since has been the OC-C which I got a month later. Both give me a DFS in 2 passes with a near BBS in 3. The only difference between the plates is that the OC has more blade feel (which isn't surprising considering the blade gap and exposure are identical). I'm tempted to get the steel version, but don't see how it would perform any differently.

View attachment 991906
I got the SB-C in March which has performed excellently right from the beginning. The only other razor I've used more than a couple times since has been the OC-C which I got a month later. Both give me a DFS in 2 passes with a near BBS in 3. The only difference between the plates is that the OC has more blade feel (which isn't surprising considering the blade gap and exposure are identical). I'm tempted to get the steel version, but don't see how it would perform any differently.

Agreed. Love the brass Karve, and considering getting the stainless steel version.
I know it won’t shave any better, but it will be easier to maintain....
Not sure if that’s enough to justify the cost, though...

I just wish he’d reply to my 2 emails, 1messenger message and FB post inquiring when the PEEK razor I paid for 9 weeks ago will be shipping. Doesn’t seem to be too much to ask.

The RR Game Changer is SS, CNC machined, and very affordable.
I have the RR GAME CHANGER .84 and its A fantastic Razor! My .68 GC is my everyday shaver, .84 is every other day. We will see if the SS Karve will match the build quality and performance of RR GC

Top Bottom