What's new

Karve Diem

Agree with above.
I have to say I haven’t really looked very closely inside the thread of the handle (either on the SS or the brass one, I have both), so I’ll look now.
Thanks

It's not something I routinely check! The top cap screws in but does catch at the beginning and then screws in fine -- so I had a look to see why.

Thanks

It's not something I routinely check! The top cap screws in but does catch at the beginning and then screws in fine -- so I had a look to see why.
I see.
I’ll have a look at mine to check.

One thing I’ll mention...
I happened to watch the Karve SS review on You Tube by Cris (Another Cut Above), before I actually received mine.
He mentioned that the brass one threads just a tiny bit smoother compared to the SS one, which is by comparison very slightly “rougher”.... He wasn’t sure whether that was due to the different metals, or just because he had been using the brass one for quite a while whereas the SS one was brand new, just machined.
I had to agree with him once I received mine, there probably is a very small difference in how they thread (and as you say, it feels a tiny bit rough just at the beginning, then it screws pretty smoothly). But I suspect I wouldn’t have noticed it, had I not watched his video beforehand.

I've used my SS for several shaves now. I will test it out when I get home from work and report back any findings. will also do a comparison with my (well used) brass version.

Not that I think it matters, but what length of handle?

Maybe this is why the razor was packed with a dot of grease on the thread of the cap?
Yes, my SS Karve had one as well.
Well, he’s now recommending you should periodically put some grease/ Petroleum Jelly on the thread on both SS and brass, as dry threads could wear quicker over time.
Which, as far as I remember, wasn’t part of the instructions that came with the brass one originally.

Any update on this? Thanks

3.25" handle
I also have the 3.25” SS handle.
I just had a look at both my SS and brass handles (I have both 3.5” and 3.25” handles in brass, and I’ve been using the brass Karve almost daily for about a year now).
I can’t see any obvious difference or defects in the machining of the threads on any of them.
I tried to take some quick photos with my phone, but they were pretty rubbish, you can’t really see the threads inside the handle well enough, sorry.

As mentioned, the SS does feel just a tiny bit less smooth when threading the handle, compared to the brass.

Not sure if that helps....
If it really bugs you, just send a quick email to Karve and see what they say.

Thanks for trying.

It's not the end of the world, just disappointing given the quality of the machining on the rest of the razor. Doesn't affect the shave itself.

Thanks for trying.

It's not the end of the world, just disappointing given the quality of the machining on the rest of the razor. Doesn't affect the shave itself.
If it looks like there might be a defect or some visible problem with the machining of the threads, I would email him, I suspect he would replace it for you.

QC is his big thing.
He’s involved in all stages of manufacturing, and wants to personally check all the parts before they ship out, which is partially what causes some of the delays in shipping his razors.
So I’m sure he’ll want to know if he missed something....

Any update on this? Thanks

3.25" handle

Yes . . . and apologies for tardiness. there was no discernible "catching" on any of my four handles (three brass, one stainless), and any of my 4 caps (same). Looking down into the handles, there did not appear to be any stray metal or flashing or other visual flaws. Handle lengths were 3.25" (brass and SS), 3.5" and 4".

I will send them as soon as I get home from my business tri . I just set off earlier today. I should be back early Friday if that is ok.

Thanks

For what it's worth, I never screw anything together before turning the part or the screw the wrong way until I hear or feel the "click" at the point where the threads are aligned. This goes for everything and in particular my brass Karve. It's very easy to "cross-thread" a screw or a thread if the alignment is even slightly off. I learned this trick from a machinist of more than 30 years of experience and I've never damaged a thread since.

No razor should be put away wet with a blade still in it... Bad things can happen doing it that way!! I break down whatever razor I use after every shave. I wipe down both plates, handle, and the blade.
Not in my house. Quick rinse with the blade in and it gets put away. Sometimes I towel off the water drops, sometimes I don't. Still waiting for bad things to happen. These are utilitarian items, not family heirlooms to me. In other words, if I had a Rolex, I'd wear it to change oil in my vehicle and not give a darn.