What's new

Karve Diem

Will you be ordering a SS Karve?

• Yes

• No

• Later when the price drops

• I’m so torn...

Results are only viewable after voting.
As someone who has the Karve in brass already and is pleased with it (C plate is my favorite), I am intrigued by the potential stainless steel version. With the idea that cost may be a potential issue, I wonder if stainless steel top caps and plates will be available by themselves.

It might be a more affordable option (trial option) to get the more maintenance friendly stainless steel in the parts more likely to be a PITA to dry/clean on a regular basis in brass. Until I see the actual availability and pricing of stainless steel parts and the whole razor, consider me simply curious vs. excited. I am not opposed to a steel/brass Karve frankenrazor, but my skin won't care how it gets a great shave even if my eyes might.

Not invested at all... Just passing on some information that maybe some aren't aware of is all.

I mean if you take a step back and look at how many times you've posted in this thread compared to anyone else and how every post is saying basically the same thing over and over you might draw a different conclusion.

Have to be honest . . . I was under the impression that the price point was going to be ~$180CAD. Was perfectly willing to swallow the increase to have a SS version in hand. Realizing that it's actually ~$180 USD has me giving things a serious rethink.

Has Chris confirmed that the price for the SS razor will be 180 USD?
I don’t remember seeing anything on his Instagram posts, but I might have missed it...

Has Chris confirmed that the price for the SS razor will be 180 USD?
I don’t remember seeing anything on his Instagram posts, but I might have missed it...
This was his response on FB...
Karve Shaving Co. Mike Lindner I’m working on figuring that out ASAP. Its sitting in the US$170 to $185 range, but I’m working on a couple of ideas that I‘ll implement after this first batch that should allow me to set the price a little lower from the start

There are a number of vendors that offering plating services. I havent kept current on all of the pricing because I'm too lazy, but I think a quick search here on plating will offer some good options. The Karve head in the picture happens to be rhodium over nickel, but plain old nickel plating is awesome and less expensive. I believe you could get a Karve head nickel plated for around $30-$40.

Brass lends itself wonderfully to nickel plating (ask most vintage Gillettes), and the brass Karve doesnt have any coating, so it makes the process easier. A good nickel plating will last multiple lifetimes and looks great. I would also argue that a nickel plated razor glides better than an unpolished or matte finished stainless razor.

Full disclosure...I own an electroless nickel commercial plating shop so I'm probably a bit biased. Another caveat, I'm not shilling for business here, we only do large commercial projects. No PM's please. :001_smile

I just wanted to point out there are good options, not just for Karve brass razors, but for any brass razor, if the owner isnt looking for a brass patina and doesnt want the maintenance.

This was his response on FB...
Karve Shaving Co. Mike Lindner I’m working on figuring that out ASAP. Its sitting in the US$170 to $185 range, but I’m working on a couple of ideas that I‘ll implement after this first batch that should allow me to set the price a little lower from the start
Hopefully Chris can get it down to, maybe, $150?

The EJ 3one6 just released for $120. I'd imagine a Karve with one plate is $30 better in craftsmanship and having the innate ability to expand.

Chris is a good dude, he'll do everything he can. Obviously, we know he likes the community. He also likes making razors... He took it as a side job (hobby?). He wants to succeed AND he wants to see happy shavers. [emoji846]

There are a number of vendors that offering plating services. I havent kept current on all of the pricing because I'm too lazy, but I think a quick search here on plating will offer some good options. The Karve head in the picture happens to be rhodium over nickel, but plain old nickel plating is awesome and less expensive. I believe you could get a Karve head nickel plated for around $30-$40.

Brass lends itself wonderfully to nickel plating (ask most vintage Gillettes), and the brass Karve doesnt have any coating, so it makes the process easier. A good nickel plating will last multiple lifetimes and looks great. I would also argue that a nickel plated razor glides better than an unpolished or matte finished stainless razor.

Full disclosure...I own an electroless nickel commercial plating shop so I'm probably a bit biased. Another caveat, I'm not shilling for business here, we only do large commercial projects. No PM's please. :001_smile

I just wanted to point out there are good options, not just for Karve brass razors, but for any brass razor, if the owner isnt looking for a brass patina and doesnt want the maintenance.
Thank you for your in-depth comment regarding plating services. At around $30-$40 it seems very reasonable to get it replated. Something i will consider in the future.

Well said,... if these are the Karve Business practices, then like many I will forego the SS CB and get the Timeless Ss or Ti Razor. It’s really not about the price to me... it’s more about the Stainless Karve being 2.5x the price of the brass Karve.

That logic is certainly clear cut. Chris doesn't seem to have done himself any favors by offering a premium brass razor at a cut-rate price whereas Timeless by pricing their SS razor high from the get-go is A-OK. Let that be a lesson to all other craftsmen.
I think the pricing is high compared to the brass but after taking material and machining costs into account plus any extra time. Also, have they added any employees? Also, he has another whole business to run and I always got the impression that this was a sideline. Maybe that wasn't true but maybe he wants to get paid for the time now and time is valuable. I know mine is. My employer is paying me a pretty penny to sit at my desk typing responses to B&B.

All this does for me is open up the options. If the Karve SS was cheaper that would be a no brainer. Now it's closer to the Timeless and not a lot cheaper than a Charcoal Goods. For me, it will all come down to availability between September and Christmas as my wife is picking up the cost of my next razor as a Christmas gift. I've co-opted her into my hobby. She can't complain now.

We should give the guy a break.:001_cool: The product isn't even out. When it is, there'll be plenty of time to see what the price is and read the initial reviews. It may turn out to be the Greatest Razor Ever, or $125. Someone who hit the mark as squarely as he did with the brass Karve is unlikely to have a total snafu with a new product. I trust that he and his resellers (e.g. WCS), with whom he's undoubtedly discussing things, are aware of the market, the customer base, the costs of production, etc., and will not go to market with a product that doesn't fit the expectations (including price point) of his customers.

We should give the guy a break.:001_cool: The product isn't even out. When it is, there'll be plenty of time to see what the price is and read the initial reviews. It may turn out to be the Greatest Razor Ever, or $125. Someone who hit the mark as squarely as he did with the brass Karve is unlikely to have a total snafu with a new product. I trust that he and his resellers (e.g. WCS), with whom he's undoubtedly discussing things, are aware of the market, the customer base, the costs of production, etc., and will not go to market with a product that doesn't fit the expectations (including price point) of his customers.
And that’s another thing... I wish he’d stop saying they’ll be out soon! It’s been weeks since he first said it. It’s killing me lol

And that’s another thing... I wish he’d stop saying they’ll be out soon! It’s been weeks since he first said it. It’s killing me lol

He does the same thing once the product is out too, his web site says 2-3 day shipping when in fact it’s when he feels like it.

He does the same thing once the product is out too, his web site says 2-3 day shipping when in fact it’s when he feels like it.
It actually says more than just "2-3 day shipping".

Taken from website:
LEAD TIME

Currently, fulfillment is 3 to 5 days.

Due to the number of possible combinations (4 handle lengths and 14 base plates), each razor is assembled from the individual parts when the order is fulfilled. If a specific part is depleted, we are probably making more, but it means that certain orders may be delayed.

We try to fulfill orders in a sequential order, but since we make the parts in batches, newer orders may sometimes be fulfilled before older orders.

Top Bottom