What's new

Karve brass razors?

I don't have a Karve but I do own a Timeless Bronze. If you don't want a brass razor to patina it will need polishing from time to time.

I don't have karve either, but I disassemble it after use, wipe off the water with a soft cloth and let it dry.
If you have a satin matte finish, you can clean the oxidized areas with liquid compound and a toothbrush.
(I have scratched polished finishes with it, so be careful)

What is the upkeep like for these. Is it any different than if I remove the plating
off my old Gillette razors?
Not really. You can rinse & wipe dry after use, and it will develop a nice olive-gold patina eventually. If you swipe a jewelers' polish cloth on it once a week, it will stay golden bronze indefinitely.

I have a Karve Overlander and when I've bought it I've instantly send it for replating, since lots of people complain about a drag feeling and I don't want that. I've only replated the head, because I have an universal handle, which I use in pretty much all of my 3-piece DE razors and I'm rarely impressed or use any of the original handles from razors like the Lambda Athena or Blackland Blackbird.

Rinse, take apart, dry and that's about it. Mine still hasn't started to patina and if it does, I'll just polish it up.

Reactions: Kix
My CB has been slowly developing a nice even patina over about a year. I think the key is just to make sure water drops don't sit on the brass for a long time. Immediately after the third pass I disassemble it and set the pieces down on a dry towel, turning it so that both sides have no water drops on them. Then after face cleanup, I use a tissue on the razor parts and the blade, and reassemble.

It's really no big chore - just part of the routine and I do this with all my razors.

I had an Overlander (sold it) and it seemed to tarnish very quickly. I cleaned it a bit before I sold it, but it seemed like a PITA. If I had kept it, I likely would have just let it go and allowed it to naturally patina.

The new owner, however, polished it to a mirror finish and it looked great. Though I do take great care of my stuff, I don't like to work THAT hard.

What is the upkeep like for these. Is it any different than if I remove the plating
off my old Gillette razors?
It really depends on how you want to keep your razor. If you don't mind patina, then there isn't much you have to do....maybe just the occasional cleaning. If you want to keep it new looking, then you'll have to keep it clean and polished. I'm lazy, so I just let mine patina...lol.

I find it interesting how much people will pay for a brass razor but when you remove the plating of an old brass Gillette it is basically worthless

Depends. If you want an even patina, no patina or don’t care. I like an even patina look which requires a wash and dry after each use. If you get water spots on it and don’t wipe off it will spot. You can use vinegar or flitz(no rubbing) to get it back to the non patina bead blast finish. If you are OCD I would say avoid.

Brass is brass when comparing to old vintages but Karve has a bead blast finish which has some texture.

I find it interesting how much people will pay for a brass razor but when you remove the plating of an old brass Gillette it is basically worthless
A lot of my old Gillettes have some brass showing. It doesn’t bother me and they cost a lot less than more well-preserved models.

I'm not a fan of patina, so my brass Christopher Bradley gets a thorough cleaning and polishing with each blade change (about 6 or 7 shaves). Since I tend to rotate my razors, that's only about once each month. I clean off all of the watermarks and other discolorations with Barkeepers Friend (liquid or powder) and an old toothbrush. That takes about 5 minutes. After drying it I polish it with Flitz liquid. That takes another 2-3 minutes. I've thought about having it plated, but I've got the cleaners and being retired I've got the time, so I doubt that I'll bother.

Top Bottom