What's new

Kai blades - opinions

I tried Kai's for the first time this past week and was rewarded with a some irritation on my neck. Also, my ATG shave wasn't as easy - dragging. The shave wasn't as smooth as the feathers I am using right now. I'm going to give them a shot again in a week or so once my neck gets back to normal. They just didn't seem to slice through my heavy beard as easily.

Just used my first Kai in a 38C. It's sharp as advertised. :thumbup1: From the second stroke the shave felt smooth enough; I got one tiny nick.

Thing is, after sitting here at my desk for maybe ten minutes, I feel irritated. That is to say, no trouble during the shave but in the aftermath I feel as if I'd used a Derby (which I have found to be too rough for me). My neck is warm. I splashed on some generic witch hazel and I'm glad I didn't use one of my alky aftershaves.

Tomorrow I'll try the same blade again in the same ax. If not any smoother, I'll use a fresh one in my Treet Delrin. It's a sweet non-biter of a razor that has so far felt good with all my blades except the Derby and Indian Wilks.

So my first opinion is that the Kai is sharp. I want to see how the other nine from my order work out across the arsenal before giving a verdict.

I tried a Kai yesterday. It was beautifully sharp. It was very "grabby", in the sense that I could feel the blade biting into the whiskers. Very little cutting resistance. The result was excellent. One little weeper that closed up with a rinse. Reminded me of a Souplex -- a blade I like very much. I felt that I had to be careful with pressure, and I ended up dialing the slim down from 5 to 4 without any problems. I could probably go milder.

Here it is, a day later and I can feel the sharp edges of the cut whiskers. This blade did a great job. I'm very pleased. I think this opens a "Two Weeks of Kai" evaluation period, and I'm looking forward to it.
-- Chet

Top Bottom