What's new

kahr cm9/pm9

hi. i recently sent in my application for a concealed carry permit. i am waiting my 8 month-year response. i am looking at a couple pistols and just wondering what peoples thoughts are on the kahr cm9/pm9. this may be what i get for a single stack 9mm. also considering the glock 26. and maybe the kahr 380 or a ruger lcp with laser for pocket carry

Did you say 8-12 months?!....holy bujebus. Your state is out of control.

I like the kahrs I've handled. Nice revolver like trigger. A Glock is a glock....It's hard to argue with that

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Carry and love PM9. It does have a break-in period, 250 rounds I think.

Made my hands tired that day ... :001_cool: five boxes of shells is a lot.

AA

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
A coworker has the Kahr cm9 (I believe) and he opted for the extended mag so he could get his pinky finger around it. More control he says. Other than that he's happy.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
The manual suggests not carrying it for SD until "a proper break-in" period of 250 rounds (as I recall).

I wanted to carry it at once, so had a *long* day at the range. I let other shooters fire it, as my thumbs were tired from loading mags.

There's nothing to upgrade to, in my opinion. It's lighter and smaller than some .380s, yet carries +P+9mm.

AA

EDIT: Don't like the pinky mag extension; I used a grip sleeve (Uncle Mike's, I think) to get it more grippy.

I have both the PM9 and a block 26. If this is your first handgun, I'd probably steer clear of Kahrs, and I own about 5 of them, so I am not just being a negative nancy about them. They have crazy tight tolerances, and aren't very forgiving, so unless you know your way around guns and can tinker with them, then I would just go with the boring reliable glock.

On the other hand the PM9 is one sweet/slim gun that for as light as it is I can shoot all day, and carries even better.

yeah it would be my first handgun. i have shot guns for many years but couldn't own a handgun. but thinking glock for just great all around ness. but love how slim and light the kahr is. also consider the new glock 43.

I let other shooters fire it, as my thumbs were tired from loading mags.

Three words: Uplula magazine loader

$Uplula mag loader.jpg

Best $30 I ever spent on gun stuff.

I have a CM9 and a couple of Glocks in 9mm. The CM9 is the perfect size for pocket carry, and with the right holster looks like a cell phone in your front pocket. The Glocks are great in almost every way, but they're thick. Haven't tried the single-stack Glock, but I assume it would be easier to carry. On the other hand, it's nice having more than a dozen rounds in your gun.

That said, the CM9 really needs the break-in time. It comes with the strongest spring I've ever dealt with in a small handgun, and it needs to be shot quite a bit to loosen up.

I had full confidence in my Glocks right out of the box, though. For your first concealed carry weapon, I'd lean to the Glock, either then 19 or 26 if you're going 9mm. Again, haven't used the single stack Glocks, so there might be a choice there, too.

I'd consider a ruger lc9s/pro too if you really want a single stack. The triggers are sweet, and probably more available than the gluck 9mm single stacks.

I've carried my Kahr CM9 for almost two years now, and it is a solid and reliable gun. That being said, I think you will do better with a Glock.
When I purchased my CM9, the Glock 42 and 43 didn't exist yet. If I were shopping for a concealable single stack 9mm today, I would get the Glock 43 for sure. The Ruger LC9S Pro has a better trigger than the Glock, but it has never felt very comfortable in my hand. The Glock feels just about perfect though.
Out of the box, the Kahr has a very stiff recoil spring, and sometimes has trouble going into full battery if you rack the slide by hand. They recommend chambering a round by dropping the slide using the slide stop lever. After the 250 round break in period, this all becomes easier, but the slide is still difficult to rack. It will feed anything I put through it though.
With +P ammo I find it to be VERY snappy. It is very controllable with standard velocity ammo though, so I carry standard velocity hollow points in mine.
The trigger is good as far as double action only triggers go, but it is a long pull, and has a very long reset. My shots always seem to pull a little low with the Kahr. I prefer the short crisp striker fired trigger of the Glock.
I do carry an extended magazine for my Kahr as a backup, but I carry it with the flush fit mag. When I shoot it with the extended mag, I try to keep my fingers off of it, and I don't use it as a grip extension. I've had feed issues when putting too much pressure on the magazine. Another issue I have with Kahr flush fit mags is that the floor plate has kind of sharp edges. Sometimes they dig into my side and are a bit uncomfortable. I think the plastic Glock magazines would be much better.
Basically I think Kahr makes an excellent carry gun, but now that the Glock 43 is on the market, I think the 43 is just a bit better, and probably worth the extra money.
My advice regarding concealed carry would be to not go cheap on your holster. As small as the CM9 is, I struggled carrying it for a long time because I was using a cheap bulky holster. I finally bought a nice hybrid kydex holster from Hidden Hybrid Holsters, and suddenly it completely disappeared under my clothing. With the right holster, you can easily conceal a larger handgun.
Good luck.

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Love my PM9 Kahr. It does need the recommended break in, but has been totally reliable for me, easy to shoot accurately for such a small gun and a joy to carry. I also carry with the flush mag and use the extended for reload/back-up.

I have a CM9, and it is my regular carry when I am carrying a 9 (what I carry varies with my clothes and I carry the largest caliber that I can conceal). As has been stated, the manufacturer recommends a 250 round break-in. I have never had a failure of any kind with the Kahr. If I had to buy another 9mm today, I would get the same gun. It is an excellent firearm and is still, AFAIK, the smallest, lightest, most concealable 9mm on the market. No pocketable 9mm is fun to shoot, and this is not a range gun. It is a self-defense weapon, and it does that job perfectly. Be sure to use good self-defense ammo, e.g. Hornady Critical Defense, Speer Gold Dot, etc.

Top Bottom