What's new

K-Cup Coffee Brewer

Several years back, we purchased a Remington iCoffee set up. It appears we were one of the few to do so. But we loved the 72 oz reservoir, adjustable cup size (4-12 oz), hotter temp than a Keurig, and it was easy to clean. It's been great, but starting to not be as efficient, so we are looking for a replacement. I know you guys are serious about your coffee, so I hope you'll have some suggestions. I'm not looking to roast, to grind, to drip 12 cups at once. I just want to slap in a cup and push play. Covid took my balance (damn near took me), so I don't want to stand around pushing or pulling levers or pouring hot liquid into breakable cups. And since Covid also took my sense of taste, I don't need the world's best cup of coffee. I'm looking for hot that fills my insulated mugs. Any suggestions?

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Several years back, we purchased a Remington iCoffee set up. It appears we were one of the few to do so. But we loved the 72 oz reservoir, adjustable cup size (4-12 oz), hotter temp than a Keurig, and it was easy to clean. It's been great, but starting to not be as efficient, so we are looking for a replacement. I know you guys are serious about your coffee, so I hope you'll have some suggestions. I'm not looking to roast, to grind, to drip 12 cups at once. I just want to slap in a cup and push play. Covid took my balance (damn near took me), so I don't want to stand around pushing or pulling levers or pouring hot liquid into breakable cups. And since Covid also took my sense of taste, I don't need the world's best cup of coffee. I'm looking for hot that fills my insulated mugs. Any suggestions?

You can still buy your coffee brewer, why not just buy the same one? Because honestly, all the 1-cup brewers made today are crap in my experience, as its a niche design, not made to last. But your's lasted a good while, why not stick with that.

Icoffee

Yep, Kuerigs are crap. They are expensive, and last 2 years if you're lucky, and the per-cup cost is expensive...and I just bought a new one today. 😄

Why?

Two reasons:

- My wife (primary motivation for the purchase).
- Convenience.

I prefer grinding my beans, heating the water in my temp-controlled electric kettle, and using my Aeropress, but in the morning - before my eyes are fully open - nothing beats the simplicity of the Kuerig. The compromise is a sub-par cup, but still in the ballpark with an inexpensive drip brewer.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I failed to mention, they no longer make the iCoffee. Thanks for your reply.

OK...

I saw one left for sale on Amazon, so I thought I'd help you with the link, and I don't normally do that, but I did an exception for you, to help you out. Alright then....

Then my recommendation then becomes the choice that I made, after my last 1-cup brewer experience went into the toilet. Just get a Behmore Brazen + 3.0 brewer and be done with it. My review bellow...

That will get you sorted out. Thermal carafe holds 8-cups, as thats the max you can make with a single brew. I don't know of any thermal mug, that holds more then 8-cups, so that should be all that you will ever need. You can also only make a 6-cup brew with it as well, for normal sized thermal mugs. Read the review for details.

Your welcome...And...Good luck!

OK...

I saw one left for sale on Amazon, so I thought I'd help you with the link, and I don't normally do that, but I did an exception for you, to help you out. Alright then....

Then my recommendation then becomes the choice that I made, after my last 1-cup brewer experience went into the toilet. Just get a Behmore Brazen + 3.0 brewer and be done with it. My review bellow...

That will get you sorted out. Thermal carafe holds 8-cups, as thats the max you can make with a single brew. I don't know of any thermal mug, that holds more then 8-cups, so that should be all that you will ever need. You can also only make a 6-cup brew with it as well, for normal sized thermal mugs. Read the review for details.

Your welcome...And...Good luck!
Somehow I failed to expand your original reply. My apology. That was their smaller version, unfortunately missing a lot of what we liked. I'll check out your recommendation, and thanks again.

Thought they were great for an office but far too expensive and wasteful for home use.

I load up my drip machine the night before. In the morning I stagger over and hit the one button it takes to make coffee. I wander out to the end of the driveway to get the paper and when I return my first cup is ready to pour. All is right with the world.

I agree! My main coffee is also preloaded the night before and ready at the push of a button. In an effort to save some money I purchased a plastic Kurig thing I can refill and reuse again and again. However, that said, I do have an expensive artesian coffee machine used to make that special cup of coffee from freshly ground beans. That is saved for savoring coffee slowly on occasion.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
We have a Keurig (K Supreme Plus) and use it to make 3 to 4 eight ounce cups and 3 to 4 twelve ounce cups every morning, that's 6 to 8 cycles a day. Sometimes I'll have a cup or two in the afternoon.
It's been fine and still runs great after 4 years. I descale it regularly, and change the optional charcoal filter at that time.
I'm not interested in growing, roasting, or grinding my own coffee beans.
The flavor of the coffee I get is just fine.
I don't really care if there is or is not a recycling issue with K Cups, though we do have some re-useable ones should the mood rarely strike.
If this one gives out, which it has shown no sign of doing, I will probably buy an office model that I can plumb so I don't have to refill the reservoir.
Yes, the K-Cups are a little more expensive. Yes the machine is a little more expensive. Yes, the coffee is not as amazing as freshly ground beans.
I'm ok with all that because it is simple, reliable, and quickly gives me coffee in the morning with a minimum of fuss.
I think folks should do whatever they think is best for them, be that anything from grinding individual beans one by one all the way to having someone deliver cups of coffee to your door every morning.

Hamilton Beach Flex Brew. It was around 100.00. For us it works as my wife likes Hazelnut coffee and I am not a fan. She uses KCups and I use the the other traditional side. I like Dunkin coffee, I’ll admit when I worked and wanted coffee I had to stop at a gas station for the most part. Some of the new commercial KCup style brewers aren’t that bad.

My son and his wife both worked at Starbucks and coffee is a big deal for them. I know they have a subscription for some type of delivery service. They grind their own beans and do the espresso thing and froth the milk. Cool but not for me.

Top Bottom