What's new

Stagg XF Filter Smoosher

I had a discount coupon for Esty and looked around to find something interesting to try.

I ran across the Stagg XF Filter Smoosher and based on YouTube videos I could find for the Stagg X Filter Smoosher, it offered a way to reduce bypass (smooshing down the pleated waves of the Stagg filter) as well as allow you to use non-Fellows filters with the brewer. I found a few videos from the person who designed the Stagg X Smoosher (YouTube user 'daRock1212'). This video shows how to use the Smoosher to preheat the brewer and wet the filter in one step. I don't bother folding the filter before smooshing it as the designer suggested in one of his videos.

One video I watched indicated that with the Smoosher it was possible to use a variety of filters such as Kalita filters, Melita filters (batch brew/12-cup regular coffee filters), V60, etc. I tried it with the Melita 12-cup filters and it worked. I think I prefer the thicker smooshed Stagg filters more than the thin Melita filters, but it is nice to know I can make do with probably any filter in the house if I ran out of the Stagg filters. I may try Kalita filters next.

Here is a video from Hoon's Coffee using the Stagg X Smoosher for an actual brew.

Below is a picture of my Stagg XF Smoosher next to my Stagg XF brewer and a few other items to give you a reference to its size.

StaggXFSmoosherCropped.jpg

So if you have a Stagg X or Stagg XF and are looking for a useful coffee gadget, give the Smoosher a try. I have no relation to the designer or seller of these items. I just found this to be a useful item.

I have the Stagg X filter smoosher and use it to do no-bypass pour overs or if I'm out of my normal filters and have to make do with a Melitta #2 filter. One thing to be aware of with thinner paper like the Melitta filters is that since the paper isn't as firm the bottom can slump down between the raised areas at the bottom of the dripper and cause stalling. I haven't purchased any Stagg filters since I ran out of the ones that came with the dripper. I just get the Kalita 185 filters which are way less expensive. The are probably too short for the Stagg XF though.

Some overly technical info (I'm not even going to pretend that I understand it all) on no-bypass brewing with the Stagg X from the author of "The Physics of Filter Coffee": Brewing with the Fellow Stagg [X] Dripper - https://coffeeadastra.com/2020/12/09/brewing-with-the-fellow-stagg-x-dripper/

Last edited:
I have the Stagg X filter smoosher and use it to do no-bypass pour overs or if I'm out of my normal filters and have to make do with a Melitta #2 filter. One thing to be aware of with thinner paper like the Melitta filters is that since the paper isn't as firm the bottom can slump down between the raised areas at the bottom of the dripper and cause stalling. I haven't purchased any Stagg filters since I ran out of the ones that came with the dripper. I just get the Kalita 185 filters which are way less expensive. The are probably too short for the Stagg XF though.

Some overly technical info (I'm not even going to pretend that I understand it all) on no-bypass brewing with the Stagg X from the author of "The Physics of Filter Coffee": Brewing with the Fellow Stagg [X] Dripper - https://coffeeadastra.com/2020/12/09/brewing-with-the-fellow-stagg-x-dripper/
Thanks for sharing your experience and the website post!

I followed the instructions on that website a few years ago and made a filter screen based on their instructions and would put it in the bottom of my Stagg XF to prevent stalling. Later, I saw the Coffee Chronicler mention using the Flair Pro Dispersion screen to prevent stalling in metal Kalita Wave brewers so I bought one and use it with my Stagg XF (and sometimes with my ceramic Kalita 185).

I was thinking of using my Kalita 155 or 185 filters next with the Stagg XF smoosher. I think the shorter filters will just limit the amount of water I can pour at a time. Of course if I want to use the full immersion recipe from Fellows, then I need the Stagg XF filters. I don't use that recipe that often.

Thanks for sharing your experience and the website post!

I followed the instructions on that website a few years ago and made a filter screen based on their instructions and would put it in the bottom of my Stagg XF to prevent stalling. Later, I saw the Coffee Chronicler mention using the Flair Pro Dispersion screen to prevent stalling in metal Kalita Wave brewers so I bought one and use it with my Stagg XF (and sometimes with my ceramic Kalita 185).

I was thinking of using my Kalita 155 or 185 filters next with the Stagg XF smoosher. I think the shorter filters will just limit the amount of water I can pour at a time. Of course if I want to use the full immersion recipe from Fellows, then I need the Stagg XF filters. I don't use that recipe that often.
I've heard about folks using a DIY screen or the flair screen before. I worry that I would forget that it was in there and when I dumped the grinds in the garbage after brewing, the screen would fall out as well and I'd have to dig through the garbage to retrieve it.

I've heard about folks using a DIY screen or the flair screen before. I worry that I would forget that it was in there and when I dumped the grinds in the garbage after brewing, the screen would fall out as well and I'd have to dig through the garbage to retrieve it.
When I first made a screen from cutting out the metal mesh of the a tea infuser, the sharp edge of the mesh could nick my finger adding the screen to the brewer and could stick to the spent filter. The Flair screen didn't have that issue but I have accidentally dumped the filter out of a brewer and the screen went with it (which I retrieved). I just have to get in the habit of picking up the spent filter by the top edges and lift it out of the brewer to dispose of it. That way the screen stays in the brewer. The Flair screen weighs more than the tea mesh, so it is more likely to stay in the brewer when you lift out the spent filter.

Top Bottom