What's new

Justifying a purchased vintage Razor just for parts ?

Hi all,

Oooooh man, I admit it, I have RAD bad! Yesterday, I purchased (albeit pretty cheap) another vintage Razor (1930's Gillette Long Comb "NEW") with the handle having a large
split! So large that the "Ball End" will not hold in place. The rest of the Razor is however
is very good condition. I "justified" this purchase by telling myself, I can use this Razor for
"extra" parts. Ummmm, perhaps there is some truth to that justification. At any rate, do any of you Guy find yourselves doing as I did, or, have I just completely fallen down the RAD Rabbit hole ?

SixCats!

You're already in way deep because you're asking us to justify your purchase. Of course we're going to justify it!!!
:a29:

It is easy to find a usable handle, just not a period correct one. West Coast Shaving and Maggards comes to mind. Just use it and enjoy.

+1
Hahaha - you have it bad, just like the rest of us or you wouldn't have asked the question.
Fall in the rabbit hole, get out and do it all over again, and again, and again....[emoji16]

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Hi all,

Ah! Power back ON! Wind storm had KO power!

Justified ? Justified ? We don't need any STINKIN' Justification!
Forgive me Guys, I just don't know what I was thinking.
@santamariasteve, well Sir, basically, I acquired a 1930's Gillette Ball End/Long Comb "NEW" in which there is a split nearly (3/4's) the length of the handle. So (per Big Jim suggestion) if I find/purchase an (after market or original handle) I'll have another nice usable "NEW". That being said (believe it or not) I THINK I have gained some semblance of self control regarding RAD. Both yesterday and today, I PASSED on purchasing some vintages Razors. One was a BLUE TIP Gillette and the other a Super Speed (me thinks). In my humble opinion, both were TOO expensive especially for their not so pristine condition. In addition, I held in my Hand today a very nice condition H. Boker & Co. Straight Razor. The price was very fair. I came close to buying this Razor however, I again exercised some "self control" and I did NOT purchase the Boker. Whoa! perhaps there is some hope for me after all.

SixCats!

Brother SixCats,

So why do you need 2 Gillette NEW's? Just asking. Wait. I know. You have 2 hands.

I have 3 NEW's. They are outstanding razors but I have no idea why I have 3 of 'em. And I only have 2 hands.

Bravo! - self control is a good thing.

I have a New LC too and love it. Once I got the hang of using it the shave is buttery smooth ....

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Brother SixCats,

So why do you need 2 Gillette NEW's? Just asking. Wait. I know. You have 2 hands.

I have 3 NEW's. They are outstanding razors but I have no idea why I have 3 of 'em. And I only have 2 hands.
Only 3?
There are AT LEAST 6 different types of typical US configurations. 3 different finishes. Factoring in the Handle options might make your head pop.

@santamariasteve , lol steve, two Hands indeed. Actually, in the last four weeks, I have acquired
(ugggh, I'm down with the sickness) TWENTY Razors! Of the twenty, six are "Single Edge" Razors (two 1912 Ever-Ready, two GEM Micromatics, GEM 1912 Travel Razor and a NOS 1944 "Shake Sharp") three are Straight Razors and the remainder are Double Edge Gillette :

1958 (D4) FATBOY
1930's Long Comb/Ball End "New"
1952 Super Speed
1958 (D2) TECH Ball End
1956 (B2) Flair Tip (medium) Super Speed
1921 "Old Type" Ball End (S.N. P671143)
1941 RANGER TECH
1940's FAT HANDLE TECH
1931 SPECIAL #175 GOODWILL (w/#160 Cap) Long Comb/Ball End
1930's "New" Short Comb/Ball End.
1930's "New" Long Comb/Ball End.

SixCats!