What's new

Justifying a purchased vintage Razor just for parts ?

@TimeOnTarget , Well Sir, perhaps we BOTH need an INTERVENTION!

BTW, is that you in the photograph ? My Dad (passed away two years ago April 11th.) was a retired (Quiet Bird)
CW4.

SixCats!

@TimeOnTarget , Well Sir, perhaps we BOTH need an INTERVENTION!

BTW, is that you in the photograph ? My Dad (passed away two years ago April 11th.) was a retired (Quiet Bird)
CW4.

SixCats!

Yes, that is me somewhere along the Afghanistan/Pakistan border. I am retired now, but I was both a warrant and commissioned officer.

Sorry to hear about your Dad. To quote Robert Frost, "Nothing gold can stay."

I'm a big believer in Frankenrazors, and almost all my 3 piece razors have a mix of parts. Any older Gillette head gets a modern handle - that's automatic. I use better handles on my Fatip and R41 and also my GEM 1912. I bought 2 Yaqi Matte Black razors for the handles, and 3 Yintal Bronze razors for the top caps which look like brass to me. I prefer the Yaqi handle. All cheap on AliExpress. But the best handles come from rusdrunkbear on eBay - titanium in a variety of designs and good value.

Here's a Franken Fatip with titanium handle and Yintal top cap.

Fatip Titanium1.jpg

Hi Guys,

@les24preludes and @BigJ, thank for your responses.
les, that's a pretty cool looking Razor! I never even though of combining two different metal colors.
Come to think of it, I once had a piece of Jewelry (a combo of Silver and Brass) and I very much liked that combo. Thanks for posting. Now my "Wheels" are turning!

SixCats!

I did for a 1905, 1919, and 1920 Old Model. The '19 and '20 had some issues with different parts, but I'll keep them for the good parts of each.

@santamariasteve , lol steve, two Hands indeed. Actually, in the last four weeks, I have acquired
(ugggh, I'm down with the sickness) TWENTY Razors! Of the twenty, six are "Single Edge" Razors (two 1912 Ever-Ready, two GEM Micromatics, GEM 1912 Travel Razor and a NOS 1944 "Shake Sharp") three are Straight Razors and the remainder are Double Edge Gillette :

1958 (D4) FATBOY
1930's Long Comb/Ball End "New"
1952 Super Speed
1958 (D2) TECH Ball End
1956 (B2) Flair Tip (medium) Super Speed
1921 "Old Type" Ball End (S.N. P671143)
1941 RANGER TECH
1940's FAT HANDLE TECH
1931 SPECIAL #175 GOODWILL (w/#160 Cap) Long Comb/Ball End
1930's "New" Short Comb/Ball End.
1930's "New" Long Comb/Ball End.

SixCats!
Brother Cat,
I will say this. You associate with high class razors! Congratulations!

Oooh @santamariasteve , thank you Brother Cat for your ever so kind words. Much appreciated.
Oooh Steve, is your Screen name "Santa Maria" have anything to do with "SANTA MARIA NOVELLA" Cologne of Italy ?
Collecting Fragrances is another one of my hobbies. I have been a member of Basenotes.net since 2003.
My "VERY" favorite NUMERO UNO Cologne happens to be :

Acqua di Santa Maria Novella Profumo

SixCats!

Hi all,

Oooooh man, I admit it, I have RAD bad! Yesterday, I purchased (albeit pretty cheap) another vintage Razor (1930's Gillette Long Comb "NEW") with the handle having a large
split! So large that the "Ball End" will not hold in place. The rest of the Razor is however
is very good condition. I "justified" this purchase by telling myself, I can use this Razor for
"extra" parts. Ummmm, perhaps there is some truth to that justification. At any rate, do any of you Guy find yourselves doing as I did, or, have I just completely fallen down the RAD Rabbit hole ?

SixCats!

Sorry, I can't relate to your problem. My rabbit hole was dug with a backhoe.

@lancre , Hi lnacre, Ooh, you think you got it bad ? I've only been a member of B&B for about four weeks and in that time, I have hunted and purchased TWENTY SEVEN Razors! Yep, Backhoe!

SixCats!

Oooh @santamariasteve , thank you Brother Cat for your ever so kind words. Much appreciated.
Oooh Steve, is your Screen name "Santa Maria" have anything to do with "SANTA MARIA NOVELLA" Cologne of Italy ?
Collecting Fragrances is another one of my hobbies. I have been a member of Basenotes.net since 2003.
My "VERY" favorite NUMERO UNO Cologne happens to be :

Acqua di Santa Maria Novella Profumo

SixCats!
Negative. I hail from Santa Maria, California.

@lancre , Hi lnacre, Ooh, you think you got it bad ? I've only been a member of B&B for about four weeks and in that time, I have hunted and purchased TWENTY SEVEN Razors! Yep, Backhoe!

LOL! I yield. At least on razors. I've got more razors, but I've been collecting for about three years. At the rate you're going, you'll break a thousand in that much time.

Now about blades, brushes, soaps, creams.........:devil:

No justification needed to buying anything :) but I doubt that you will ever need any parts that you will get from that razor. I wasn't even aware than there were New style razors with ball ends. I shave with an Old style with ball end and I had a New style with the barrel? end.

Where the New and Old are concerned though, my approach has been to only buy them in good shape (not collector shape) so, no cracked handles, since they are pretty inexpensive in the first place.

I haven't even really looked at this razors as having "parts". With straight razors, I bought some knowing that if they weren't in great shape I might be able to salvage either the scales or the blade for parts.

I know the handle screws off with the New but does the threading match anything else? Other New I guess?

However, I have bought beat-up inexpensive straight razors just because I either just wanted to buy something or fix something up even when I had no need for it so...no justification needed IMO :)

Last edited:
@santamariasteve , @lancre, @seattleshaver , Hi Guys,

Hello Steve, ahhhh of course, Santa Maria California. I lived in Los Angeles for sixteen years (ugggh).
Ooh, I still suggest you give Santa Maria Novella "Acqua di Cuba" a try!

lancre, ooh man, I'm "out of control" collecting Razors. As far as the other items, I have a LOT of (tube) Shave Cream (which I purchased in bulk from a "Salvage type store"). I first purchased just "one" tube. I went home, researched the product on the Web, saw the current price, (flipped out), went back to store and purchased about twenty or more tubes!
proxy.php

I understand this may be a discontinued product ? The current price range runs about sixteen dollars (or more) per tube! Yikes! If memory serves, believe I paid about $1.49 a tube! Mind you, this was several years ago. Other than that, I just received my order(s) for DE and SE blades, a couple of bottles of Thayers Witch Hazel and a couple of bottles of Clubman Aftershave(s). As far as "Creams", I use Coconut Oil on my Face as a smoother. Oooh, I have at least fifty bottles of Colognes/Perfumes/Essential Oils/Attar/etc. I've been a HARD CORE Fragrance Head (member of Basenotes.net) since 2003 so, I have the Fragrance area covered. Brushes. I'll tell you lancre, I have recently visited at least twenty different Antique Shops/Flea Markets/Thrift Shops etc. and seldom (if ever) find any (worthwhile) vintage Brushes. That being said, I AM actively searching for Brushes. seattle, I should of qualified the title of my thread me thinks. That is to say (on occasion) I have purchased (either broken or incomplete) GILLETTE "NEW" or "OLD TYPE" Ball End (three piece) Razors on the cheap. Most every Handle will have a/some "Hair line" crack(s) however, some are in better condition than others. I also find that some of these (so called) "parts Razor" may have Necks, Ball Ends, Caps or Combs in better condition so, I can sort of mix and match to make a nicer Razor.
My "parts" Razors pretty much applies to the early Gillette Old & New.

SixCats!

@santamariasteve , lol steve, two Hands indeed. Actually, in the last four weeks, I have acquired
(ugggh, I'm down with the sickness) TWENTY Razors! Of the twenty, six are "Single Edge" Razors (two 1912 Ever-Ready, two GEM Micromatics, GEM 1912 Travel Razor and a NOS 1944 "Shake Sharp") three are Straight Razors and the remainder are Double Edge Gillette :

1958 (D4) FATBOY
1930's Long Comb/Ball End "New"
1952 Super Speed
1958 (D2) TECH Ball End
1956 (B2) Flair Tip (medium) Super Speed
1921 "Old Type" Ball End (S.N. P671143)
1941 RANGER TECH
1940's FAT HANDLE TECH
1931 SPECIAL #175 GOODWILL (w/#160 Cap) Long Comb/Ball End
1930's "New" Short Comb/Ball End.
1930's "New" Long Comb/Ball End.

SixCats!
So, you've duplicated yourself 3 times with the TTO's, 3 times with the New razors, and two times with the Techs. Congratulations, non the less. :)

lancre, ooh man, I'm "out of control" collecting Razors. As far as the other items, I have a LOT of (tube) Shave Cream (which I purchased in bulk from a "Salvage type store"). I first purchased just "one" tube. I went home, researched the product on the Web, saw the current price, (flipped out), went back to store and purchased about twenty or more tubes!
proxy.php

I understand this may be a discontinued product ? The current price range runs about sixteen dollars (or more) per tube! Yikes! If memory serves, believe I paid about $1.49 a tube! Mind you, this was several years ago.

$1.49 is a very good price. Discontinued? No, just not distributed in the USA anymore. In Canada it's available all over for about $5 CAD or $4 USD. Those of us who live near the border and get into Canada occasionally can keep ourselves stocked up.

Brushes. I'll tell you lancre, I have recently visited at least twenty different Antique Shops/Flea Markets/Thrift Shops etc. and seldom (if ever) find any (worthwhile) vintage Brushes. That being said, I AM actively searching for Brushes.

As a general rule, most of the vintage brushes I see for sale need to be re-knotted. I haven't really gotten into that yet, but other members here have gone that route. A lot more of our number have a large stable of current brushes.

@lancre, @Twelvefret ,

Hi Guys,

Twelve, oooh yea, I have several dups but, come on Man, there not EXACTLY the same lol. Trust me, I do NOT pay a lot of money for these Razors. For example, some of my best finds (all in EXCELLENT condition btw) :
'58 Fatboy, '47 Aristocrat Jr., '56 (medium) Flare Tip SS, '41 RANGER TECH, '58 (D1) Gillette T.V. Special......cost me a GRAND TOTAL of $31.50 for all five Razors. The MOST I have (so far) paid for any one Razor was a brand new/nos : GEM MICROMATIC (in Green Bakelite case) for forty dollars (it was just too shinny and purty) to not buy :
proxy.php

lancre, glad to hear you can still find (hard to find) items in Canada.

SixCats!

@lancre, @Twelvefret ,

Hi Guys,

Twelve, oooh yea, I have several dups but, come on Man, there not EXACTLY the same lol. Trust me, I do NOT pay a lot of money for these Razors. For example, some of my best finds (all in EXCELLENT condition btw) :
'58 Fatboy, '47 Aristocrat Jr., '56 (medium) Flare Tip SS, '41 RANGER TECH, '58 (D1) Gillette T.V. Special......cost me a GRAND TOTAL of $31.50 for all five Razors. The MOST I have (so far) paid for any one Razor was a brand new/nos : GEM MICROMATIC (in Green Bakelite case) for forty dollars (it was just too shinny and purty) to not buy :
proxy.php

lancre, glad to hear you can still find (hard to find) items in Canada.

SixCats!
That Micromatic is a GEM. Well of course it is. I meant it’s a great find.

Last edited:
Top Bottom