What's new

Just another shaving journal with a newbie

Well, I never really saw myself planning on writing this, but here I am. I've looked around this forum as well as other locations for a better shaving experience.

Here's some background on me:

I haven't shaved for long, had an electric razor for a year, and a very unpleasant experience with it that I shaved maybe once every 3 weeks. Not a close shave at all as it was rather cheap, and pulled hairs like nobody's business, and rusted under any drop of water. Was not happy at all.

Afterwards, I got my hands on a sample disposable razor that seemed to be rather decent, so I decided to give it a try. One shave was enough. It was the closest shave I had gotten outside the barber, but razor bumps for the next 2 weeks was just awful(due to being a black male with a curly beard), especially for my gf, who hated hurting me every time she touched my face. That experience plus the cost to keep it up turned me off real quick. I moved back to my electric razor as my safer, but unsatisfactory shave. I needed something different.

Took a look around different shaving outlets and saw safety razors. I remembered my grandfather using these to shave with, the blades in their containers making a mark on my memories. I decided to try this outlet once I had money to spend.

That brings me to here, just receiving a PIF from imatabor today, and allowing me to start this off with little risk to my pockets (Bless that man!). I haven't had the first shave yet as I'm paranoid about my technique currently and wanted a blade-less practice before I make my face a bloody mess. Will try my best to keep this up to date.

Welcome to B&B! Very cool of John to set you up, and good luck on your DE journey. Looking forward to reading what you think of the more traditional wet shaving.

Time for the first shave experience!

It was... different. Very different. I prepped by showering and getting my face wet while soaking my brush. Once that was done, I realized I made a grave mistake and forgot that my mirrors fog up, so shaving during that time was going to be an interesting feat. I ended up just wiping the mirror and making do.

Next step was lathering. I used the Savon Barbe and did a face lather. In hindsight, I think I kinda failed at this. I wasn't able to make a thick lather and couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. However, the brush felt heavenly on my face. It felt...Right!

Thus comes the shave. I placed the blade in the razor(Personna blue) and realized how sharp the blade real is, taking off a small layer of skin off one finger. It wasn't really a cut or anything that bled or hurt, but showed how fine and sharp the blade was. Color me impressed. I starting the shaving, trying to make a good shave angle. It ain't easy. Quiet different from what I was used to. I made short strokes, but I made the mistake of repeatedly running over the same areas. In the end, my shave was kinda a mixed disaster as some areas were somewhat untouched while other areas are pretty freaking smooth. The sides of my cheeks towards my ears are still untouched, but my chin is pretty evenly cut, and most of my middle cheek area is clean shaved. Of course, this all came out of one pass, as time did not allow me to continue. Am considering doing a redo tomorrow.

While the first shave was rather overwhelming, I wasn't upset with the shave. It definitely has a learning curve, and I'm somewhere on it. It was rather exhilarating. I was actually enjoying shaving and having fun with it, even if I wasn't very good at it. I plan to see what the future will hold.

Good start. I'm glad you didn't kill yourself!:001_tongu

There are a couple of rules:
1. You want a nice slick lather. Watch some videos on how to build lather.
2. Short shallow strokes. Shallow means that the handle is stick out from your face (steep would be pointing twards the floor) Here is a picture of what you want:
wm_normal_blade-angle.jpg

Start like the picture on the left. Lower until you start cutting hair (you should end up like the middle picture) If you get to the picture on the right you probably have gone too far and will start scraping the face.

3. Light touch, think of just removing the lather not scraping the face.

4. Never go over a spot that doesn't have lather on it.

5. Map your beard. How does your beard grow? Are you familar with the terms With the grain (WTG), Cross the Grain (XTG) and against the grain (ATG)?
proxy.php

Time for the first shave experience!

It was... different. Very different. I prepped by showering and getting my face wet while soaking my brush. Once that was done, I realized I made a grave mistake and forgot that my mirrors fog up, so shaving during that time was going to be an interesting feat. I ended up just wiping the mirror and making do.

Next step was lathering. I used the Savon Barbe and did a face lather. In hindsight, I think I kinda failed at this. I wasn't able to make a thick lather and couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. However, the brush felt heavenly on my face. It felt...Right!

Thus comes the shave. I placed the blade in the razor(Personna blue) and realized how sharp the blade real is, taking off a small layer of skin off one finger. It wasn't really a cut or anything that bled or hurt, but showed how fine and sharp the blade was. Color me impressed. I starting the shaving, trying to make a good shave angle. It ain't easy. Quiet different from what I was used to. I made short strokes, but I made the mistake of repeatedly running over the same areas. In the end, my shave was kinda a mixed disaster as some areas were somewhat untouched while other areas are pretty freaking smooth. The sides of my cheeks towards my ears are still untouched, but my chin is pretty evenly cut, and most of my middle cheek area is clean shaved. Of course, this all came out of one pass, as time did not allow me to continue. Am considering doing a redo tomorrow.

While the first shave was rather overwhelming, I wasn't upset with the shave. It definitely has a learning curve, and I'm somewhere on it. It was rather exhilarating. I was actually enjoying shaving and having fun with it, even if I wasn't very good at it. I plan to see what the future will hold.

All hope is lost you are now one of us ....
Enjoy your new addiction I mean hobby.
Glad you enjoyed it. [emoji4][emoji106][emoji1604]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great shave and read Diz. It looks like you got a taste of what you're capable of achieving with a DE. How were the areas on your face that you managed to get smooth? Any lingering irritation or bumps? It'll take some time to dial everything in, including the lather, but the results are worth it.

Great shave and read Diz. It looks like you got a taste of what you're capable of achieving with a DE. How were the areas on your face that you managed to get smooth? Any lingering irritation or bumps? It'll take some time to dial everything in, including the lather, but the results are worth it.
There wasn't any irritation or bumps in the smooth spots. Well, not any bumps that weren't already there.

Good luck man! Tons of resources here and good guys who are more than happy to give input and advice.

Good luck with your adventures. :)

Alright, back for more journaling. I have shaved twice more, once with the savon barbe and once with the Arko stick. What I can say is my technique is getting better. On the second shave (which was 6/4), I ended up cutting my lips with a stupidly steep razor angle. Lovely things to learn from.

Some differences between the soaps: The Savon takes a bit more work for me to get an even coat of cream on my face, trying to figure out the perfect mixture of water and soap. However, the Arko somehow just worked a heck of a lot better when it came to lathering. I'm not saying it lathered better, but I easily got the balance I wanted. I hear that many people say that Arko is a great basic soap with an overpowering smell. However, I had seasonal allergies that kinda take away my sense of smell for like half the year, so it's strong, but weaker. .

What I have noticed is that I find myself putting lotion on my face after a shave. My face ends up being drier than a desert after shaving. This makes me feel like I need to have some sort of a moisturizing aftershave to rehydrate my face. I also found that I do like having alcohol as a backup to cleaning my face; it makes me feel safer. Is it normal for someone to use more than one aftershave? I ask since I would be using 3 different aftershaves since I consider Bump Stopper to be a aftershave product.

About the actual shaving: I have starting to do a two pass shave: one WTG and the other XTG. I have found that the XTG shaving is more difficult than originally imagined, but I'm getting the hang of WTG. At this rate, when would I be ready to shave ATG without ripping my face up?

One last question: How do I know when a blade needs to be replaced? I honestly have no idea when.

That's all for this time.

3 shaved down, sounds like you are doing well blood loss it a great teacher!

I find the Arko a great slick simple soap. I use it when I travel because of the Stick form is easy to travel with but it is a great soap (I don't even mind smell)

I use Nivea aftershave balm to moisturize after the shave. I'm not an aftershave guy so I can't comment on that but witch hazel or alum works great for me. It seems like with that much alcohol on your face that it would be drying it out.

I would try ATG when ever you want to. Just remember to keep the handle up and light touches.

As far as the blade goes, everyone is different. I can get about 12 shaves out of a blade, some people use a blade once and throw it and even some people here will go 30 shaves. I would suggest to change it when you feel it tugging.

Also thanks for posting in the journal, I'm enjoying reading about your journey.

Blessings

Sounds like you are off to a great start!

I remember the feeling you describe, of needing something to combat post-shave dryness. Good aftershaves are helpful (PAA makes some of my favorites), but I also had much better post-shave feel once I started trying tallow based soaps. Not that you need to go down that rabbit hole (but you just might end up there anyway)!

Another addition, I'll keep it short.

I took a day off of shaving after dealing with an 11 hour shift. Was so dead tired that I didn't trust myself with the blade, so left it be. Then comes today, where I shaved. Unfortunately, I learned that taking more than a day to shave allows for razor bumps to show on my face. I saw them starting to emerge, so I went ahead and shaved to combat it.

That was not a good idea.

Things seemed to be going smoothly, and as I lathered up for my third and final pass, I found myself bleeding. All over my face. All coming from where razor bumps were showing. I ended up deciding not to go with the third pass and called it a night.

Such is the struggle of a black male. Is there a way, aside from bump stopper and similar products, to get rid of razor bumps, or am I relegated to shaving every day to prevent it.

Another addition, I'll keep it short.

I took a day off of shaving after dealing with an 11 hour shift. Was so dead tired that I didn't trust myself with the blade, so left it be. Then comes today, where I shaved. Unfortunately, I learned that taking more than a day to shave allows for razor bumps to show on my face. I saw them starting to emerge, so I went ahead and shaved to combat it.

That was not a good idea.

Things seemed to be going smoothly, and as I lathered up for my third and final pass, I found myself bleeding. All over my face. All coming from where razor bumps were showing. I ended up deciding not to go with the third pass and called it a night.

Such is the struggle of a black male. Is there a way, aside from bump stopper and similar products, to get rid of razor bumps, or am I relegated to shaving every day to prevent it.
Sorry to hear of the blood letting. I can't offer any advice as I'm of Scandinavian/German descent and am whiter than white.

Hi DizZexion. Sorry i am late to this party. While you seem to be mastering wetshaving technique, the downside of black skin for an appreciable number of shavers; the tendency to be prone to ingrown hairs, appears to be rearing its head.

Having similar skin, for years i could only shave with dipilatories, until i decided enough was enough. I also came across Bump Patrol Aftershave Lotion, a salicyclic acid (aspirin) based aftershave, which has proven to be very effective against razor bumps. 10 years on, I haven't looked back.

I suggest you give the product a try, if you are aspirin-tolerant of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hi DizZexion. Sorry i am late to this party. While you seem to be mastering wetshaving technique, the downside of black skin for an appreciable number of shavers; the tendency to be prone to ingrown hairs, appears to be rearing its head.

Having similar skin, for years i could only shave with dipilatories, until i decided enough was enough. I also came across Bump Patrol Aftershave Lotion, a salicyclic acid (aspirin) based aftershave, which has proven to be very effective against razor bumps. 10 years on, I haven't looked back.

I suggest you give the product a try, if you are aspirin-tolerant of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Is Bump Patrol different than Bump Stopper, and if so, how different? Also, do you shave when you start getting razor bumps or do you stop?

Welcome to the journal Diz!
Sounds like you are progressing just fine. Don't worry about where you are versus where you think you should be. Don't push the envelope. Just enjoy the shaves and when you feel comfortable with what you are doing, take the next step. Never change more than one thing at a time!!! This way you easily see what works and what doesn't.
The main rule and hardest thing to learn with a DE is NO PRESSURE. The best way to get a feel for this is to take the razor (without a blade), tilt your head to the side and hold the razor by the very end with two finger. Let it pivot down to your face at about a 30° angle. That is all the pressure that you need. Just the weight of the razor.
So far as post shave I cold water rinse, rub an alum block on my face let it stay for 30 seconds or so and then rinse with cold water. Splash on some witch hazel and let it dry then apply an after shave balm or lotion or both. So use how ever many products you need to.
As to lathering, you will learn there are a lot of video's out there. I started with Proraso cream as I've found it to be very easy to lather. A tube will easily last several months.

Top Bottom