What's new

June & July are High Efficiency Razor Months.....

20210614_195555-01.jpeg

For science, too.:lol:

Three side by side passes with a BBS result on both halfes of my face. One tiny nick with the Karve, none with the Mühle. The Karve shows a tad more smoothness whilst the Mühle R41 is heavier on the blade feel side. No tugging with these razors in the atg passes.

I will report back in approx. 12 hours, again (#stubblewatch).

Enjoy your shaves!

Last edited:

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
No tugging with these razors in the atg passes.

Is that because so much was removed in the WTG and XTG passes?

If intimating both razors had Kanye West Spectrum Disorder, my assumption as a lay person would be the Karve SB-G is the “singing backing vocals for Glass Animals” extreme and the Mühle R41GS would be the Twitter personality.

Is that because so much was removed in the WTG and XTG passes?

I mentioned the lack of tugging expressively since some R41 users have complains in this respects (I almost never have tugging issues, unless the blade already is too dull).

12 hours after having finished the shave, I have a hard time to announcing a winner in terms of closeness. Mrs JAHE's is of the opinion that my right face half is a bit smoother (R41), for me it's more or less a tie.

A mild razor will be good enough later today to remove the new grown stubble...

thombrogan

I mentioned the lack of tugging expressively since some R41 users have complains in this respects (I almost never have tugging issues, unless the blade already is too dull).

Gotcha. Mine tugs ATG if my angle or prep is off, so reading duller blades do it, too, is great to know.

Still, it’s interesting to see the results from two highly efficient razors with different levels of blade clamping produce similar results (or, rather, seeing blade rigidity isn’t the be-all/end-all I make it out to be).

Gotcha. Mine tugs ATG if my angle or prep is off, so reading duller blades do it, too, is great to know.

Still, it’s interesting to see the results from two highly efficient razors with different levels of blade clamping produce similar results (or, rather, seeing blade rigidity isn’t the be-all/end-all I make it out to be).
Totally a YMMV situation. In fact it's even a My Mileage May Vary . R41 does just fine on my beard but tugs so much on my head ATG it no longer qualifies as an efficient option. Tugs less with a sharp BIC but still not a good option. All of which is to say that efficiency is to be measured in context . Clearly rigidity doesn't matter much to most people but obviously does a lot to a minority of users in specific circumstances.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

View attachment 1281756
For science, too.:lol:

Three side by side passes with a BBS result on both halfes of my face. One tiny nick with the Karve, none with the Mühle. The Karve shows a tad more smoothness whilst the Mühle R41 is heavier on the blade feel side. No tugging with these razors in the atg passes.

I will report back in approx. 12 hours, again (#stubblewatch).

Enjoy your shaves!
SCIENCE!!!! It had to be done. It’s like a horrific crash, I just can’t look away, LOL. Following to see how this works out.

thombrogan

Totally a YMMV situation. In fact it's even a My Mileage May Vary .

Can totally get that. My Shovelhead isn’t too rigid with a 0.009” GEM blade, but it’s only a problem on my chip and lip-surrounding whiskers.

Clearly rigidity doesn't matter much to most people but obviously does a lot to a minority of users in specific circumstances.

That’s where my didacticism fails.

In my head, getting the balance where blade exposure doesn’t noticeably remove rigidity and where blade clamping doesn’t noticeably reduce exposure is the expected sweetest of spots. The Archimedean lever to move a world of whiskers into the sink.

In reality, I have more trouble handling my razor that meets that balance (RazoRock Hawk V3OC) than ones with less exposure (Ikon X3) or less rigidity (everything other than the X3 so far…).

Over in the world of “having more fun shaving than me at this moment because they use straight razors,” the half-hollow, full-hollow, high-hollow, extra-hollow-singing grinds in use thoroughly outnumber the quarter-hollow, near-wedge, and wedge grinds suggesting rigidity is not always a factor for that group. Of course, goatees are popular with some SR folks and those are the home of most folks’ tougher facial hair, so I’m not sure if what I think is so.

I bought an inexpensive kamisori style razor off Ali and it arrived yesterday, so I decided to give it a go this morning. I think it was $25? Since it doesn't have a guard, I am going to go ahead and consider it a high efficiency razor.

Loaded up with a first use Kai Pink blade. Got a nice shave. I like the kamisori format. I would probably prefer a Feather Super Pro blade next time, though. I wonder how durable this razor will turn out to be. I also tried out this King of Shaves Shave Serum for the first time. It was okay as far as lubrication, but for my second pass I went back to my usual brushless cream. I probably won't be using the serum again anytime soon. It is a nice small bottle, so maybe it will be something I try traveling with.
kamisori.JPG

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Timeless Bronze 78 OC.

6-15-21.Bronze78.Shavemac.Vitos.640.JPG

Working towards mastery.

It is very interesting to see the photos of the various razors. I have no idea how to define a "high efficiency" razor other than by examining the results. Surely there are gentlemen who can achieve with a given razor a one pass Dolphin skin BBS whereas with the same kit other guys might not achieve BBS with many passes. Technique? Perhaps. Different skin and different whiskers? Probably.

That said, some high efficiency razors are higher on the efficiency scale than others. That's not me being critical of any of them.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom