What's new

Jumped the train on a Jnat Nakayama Maruichi Asagi lvl 5+

Ive been reading up a bit on Keiths site and i purchased a stone on ebay,
Which naguras is a must have for final polish on that stone?
I don't have any other jnat, i want this as a finishing stone.
I currently have most synthetics and 3 naturals.
Cretan hone, 1 very small thuringian, 1 Vermio
Synthetics: Naniwa Pro 600, 1k, suehiro 1k. ohishi 3k, shapton pro 5k, 8k, 12k

Im thinking of using the jnat after the 12k in the progression, so which naguras should i start with?
Here are some pics of the stone that im waiting to get.
Japanese Natural Whetstone 中山 Nakayama Maruichi Asagi lvl 5+2.jpg
Japanese Natural Whetstone 中山 Nakayama Maruichi Asagi lvl 5+3.jpg
Japanese Natural Whetstone 中山 Nakayama Maruichi Asagi lvl 5+4.jpg
Japanese Natural Whetstone 中山 Nakayama Maruichi Asagi lvl 5+5.jpg
Japanese Natural Whetstone 中山 Nakayama Maruichi Asagi lvl 5+6.jpg

Thanks, will look for a tomo nagura. Is tomo nagura the final nagura in the progression?

Yes Sir, tomo comes after koma. I would recommend Alex Gilmore for getting the right tomo the first time. If you can send him your stone he can match it up perfectly. The other way you will be buying more tomos to find the "one".

Where does Alex live? USA or Europe?
It would be nice if he could do that, but if he is in the states customs might be quite expensive....

He is a US seller,sorry for that. I do not know of anyone else that offers this service. You can ask a seller for a soft fine and hard fine finishing tomo nagura. It is fun playing in the mud.

i will ask from the person i bought it from if they have a suiteble soft and hard tomo nagura. Maybe they can send them all in one parcel. It is from a seller in Japan

Damn that was a fast salesperson....
I mailed them and this was the answer, i just have to buy another stone now.....
"Yes, but your stone has already been transferred to the courier, and tomorrow I will send you a tracking number.
Next time you make a purchase, remind me and I will definitely give you a Tomonagura free!

With Respect "

He may supply you with a tomo, but he is not in Japan. The stone will come from Russia. I would ignore stamps too. This seller is known for faking his stamps. Stone maybe very good though. He seems to get some stones on the yahoo.jp auction site where he also sells under the same as his ebay handle. There are alot of stones sold on yahoo.jp that have the same stamps and sticker yours had so he may have bought it like that, but you will have to try the stone and see what it is like. He doesn't seem to test the stones.
Oh and you added while I was typing this. He may or may not send you a tomo next time. I never got one he forgot to send me and said the exact same thing he just told you. Good way to try and get you to buy another stone though.

Jnats- A treatise on Stamps and Kawa

I have never purchased from that seller, but ask for fine finishing tomos with different hardness. Good luck!

Wow if it is the seller from Russia be carefull! I would not buy personally.

Ok damage done, i will see what i get, if it is a brick god to act as a doorstop or a fine finishing stone...... sounds like russain roulete......

You could try Maxim in Denmark - Japanese natural stones.
(I'll have a look myself. I have some very similar yellow-asagi tomo nagura in a box somewhere.
They won't be Maruichi Asagi but should be a good fit.)

I will look and se if Maxim has anything for me.
Did i understand you correct that you may have some naguras that may be good for this stone?
If so, i would be interested.

Best regards
Mackis

I will look and se if Maxim has anything for me.
Did i understand you correct that you may have some naguras that may be good for this stone?
If so, i would be interested.

Best regards
Mackis
I definitely do have Asagi naguras - that look like a similar type to your stone - in the workshop somewhere.
It looks like the "creamy hard" type of Asagi, but looks can be deceptive.
I'll have a look and PM you anyway.
(Mods - I've reported my previous comment, 'cos I wasn't sure if it would count as 'soliciting')

I definitely do have Asagi naguras - that look like a similar type to your stone - in the workshop somewhere.
It looks like the "creamy hard" type of Asagi, but looks can be deceptive.
I'll have a look and PM you anyway.
(Mods - I've reported my previous comment, 'cos I wasn't sure if it would count as 'soliciting')

Sorry but i hope i didn't get you in trouble for helping me.
The blame is all on me in that case.

Best regards
// Mackis

He may supply you with a tomo, but he is not in Japan. The stone will come from Russia. I would ignore stamps too. This seller is known for faking his stamps. Stone maybe very good though. He seems to get some stones on the yahoo.jp auction site where he also sells under the same as his ebay handle. There are alot of stones sold on yahoo.jp that have the same stamps and sticker yours had so he may have bought it like that, but you will have to try the stone and see what it is like. He doesn't seem to test the stones.
Oh and you added while I was typing this. He may or may not send you a tomo next time. I never got one he forgot to send me and said the exact same thing he just told you. Good way to try and get you to buy another stone though.

Jnats- A treatise on Stamps and Kawa
I’ve been considering buying a stone from this seller. Would it be throwing money away. I understand the stamp may be faked but I’m just looking for JNAT at a reasonable price.

My stone is on its way, i can not compaire it to any other jnat because this is my first but i can compaire it to what i have. I have synthetics shapton pro up to 12k, i have thiringian and a greek hone. My evaluation can be hampered of my limited knowledge of handling jnats, but eliminating the variables as much as possible and keeping it simple would give a hint if its ok or not. I will try it as a finisher on water only and see how it works and let you know.

Best regards
Mackis

You can’t base any one stone on color,stamps, lv this or that...or what you think it should be or shouldn’t be. There may be characteristics suggesting certian traits, but its no more than that.. a suggestion.... You can really only use it and go from there. I would try a very hard nagura as well as a softer one. Try a diamond nagura. When buying natural stones looks for sellers that have used the stone themselves.

Top Bottom