What's new

Shapton kuromaku 8k vs Naniwa gouken fuji 8k vs snow white 8k with base. Which is better and why?

I have the shapton 500hr glass stone. After that I have the kuromaku 1k, 2k, and 5k. I also have a naniwa gouken 12k. Im considering an 8k stone for the mix. Which one would be best? and whats your reasoning if you have any specifics?. I feel like choosing stones is so hard. Its as if theres always a con for every pro either way

I have the both the Fuji and the snow white 8k. The results are quite similar, but the snow white has a nicer feedback, and cuts faster.
My stone have not cracked yet after two years in use.

Any of them would fit into that progression. They vary a little in fineness, probably more in honing sensation, and of course, price. Keith Johnson has an in-depth video comparing a bunch of 8ks including these.

All 3 are good stones, leaning towards the Naniwia stones as a bit better finishers. But if you are not shaving off the 8k edge, what are you hoping to accomplish with an 8k that the 12k will not do?

The 12k has a very wide range that can easily go from 1-12k or even bevel set. A 5-12k is an easy jump. As said, either would fit in your progression, but none will improve your 12k edge. You do not need to stick to a particular brand of stone for a progression.

Yes, some may be a bit different in grit rating, but nothing that a few extra or fewer laps would not fix. I use a mix of brands, with no issues.

Google (12K Chip Removal/Bevel Setting) for a sample of setting a bevel and removing a chip with just a 12k Super Stone. One stone honing.

Don’t overthink honing, technique trumps stone acquisition. Don’t get me wrong, if you just want to buy stones, go for it.

All 3 are good stones, leaning towards the Naniwia stones as a bit better finishers. But if you are not shaving off the 8k edge, what are you hoping to accomplish with an 8k that the 12k will not do?

The 12k has a very wide range that can easily go from 1-12k or even bevel set. A 5-12k is an easy jump. As said, either would fit in your progression, but none will improve your 12k edge. You do not need to stick to a particular brand of stone for a progression.

Yes, some may be a bit different in grit rating, but nothing that a few extra or fewer laps would not fix. I use a mix of brands, with no issues.

Google (12K Chip Removal/Bevel Setting) for a sample of setting a bevel and removing a chip with just a 12k Super Stone. One stone honing.

Don’t overthink honing, technique trumps stone acquisition. Don’t get me wrong, if you just want to buy stones, go for it.
I appreciate the in depth response. I just figured that an 8k was an important step it seemed to me most have an 8k somewhere in there progression. It seems the fuji is pretty highly regarded but I also was considering the kuromaku 8k. The snow white was the last on my list because the almost double price to be honest. Im contemplating this hard but it’s probably gonne be either the fuji or Shapton whenever I get to it. I also havent seen many people review the 8k kuromaku especially for straights so it makes me nervous

I have a Shapton HR 8k that I love.

BTW, an 8k stone is very useful. Useful for getting from 4k/5k to 12k, and for removing scratch patterns when switching between finishers.
I had my eye on that one in the beginning but its almost double the price. Is it worth double the price in your opinion? Do you have any experience with the fuji or kuromaku 8k by chance ?

I have two 20 mm Naniwa Super Stone 12k stones - the US and Japanese (Gouken) versions. Great stones. And I have a Shapton Kuromaku Professional 1k. Also very good. I do not have any experience with the Fuji.

The lowest price I see for the Shapton HR 8000 is at MTC Kitchen. I have bought numerous products from them. They are a reputable seller. Not sure about shipping.

I am not seeing a difference in price between the Shapton Professional 8k and the Shapton HR 8k.

I had my eye on that one in the beginning but its almost double the price. Is it worth double the price in your opinion? Do you have any experience with the fuji or kuromaku 8k by chance ?
To compare it to I mean
I have two 20 mm Naniwa Super Stone 12k stones - the US and Japanese (Gouken) versions. Great stones. And I have a Shapton Kuromaku Professional 1k. Also very good. I do not have any experience with the Fuji.

The lowest price I see for the Shapton HR 8000 is at MTC Kitchen. I have bought numerous products from them. They are a reputable seller. Not sure about shipping.

I am not seeing a difference in price between the Shapton Professional 8k and the Shapton HR 8k.
On amazon its $63 for the kuromaku 8k and $100 for the glass hr 8k

"best' is subjective.
What is best for me might not be best for you.
There is no contest or overall winner for 'best 8k'. Preferences matter. Everyone is different.
I like the feedback from Snow White, but I probably use the Shapton Pro 8k more often. Those are the two that are here right now. The Fuji is probably the most 'refined' 8k but I don't like the feel. Horses for courses, they say.

Choosing stones is easy. Pick one. Use it.
If you use it and think you're missing something, buy a different one and compare.

If you plan on getting modern stainless razors, the shapton gs hr is probably a better choice. For carbon steel I think you can pick any of the aforementioned stones.
However, the Fuji 8/10k does produce good results, but the honing sensation is an acquired taste in my opinion.
Since you are not finishing with an 8k, I would get the stone that matches your preferences in terms of honing sensation. So, if you are happy with your other shapton stones, I would complete the set and go with the Kuromaku 8k.

Top Bottom