What's new

Jos. Holler Rescale

About two years ago I made a shaving bowl/razor stand. It was for DE's. Now that I'm into straights I felt I needed one to go along with the set. I think I'll ultimately modify the stand to hold this razor.
It was a typical resto. There was a bit of hone wear which I adjusted by regrinding the blade, and the wear I believe was from the spine itself not being consistent so I fixed that too. I changed the tip into a Spanish style point as I tend to like them quite a bit and this was nearly there. Also a thing that I like to do is to straighten the crooked grinding from the factory that seems to show up on most razors. The area where the tail meets the spine, the way the spine meets the nose of the razor etc. Now they are all perpendicular instead of crooked. Then I just polished up the blade.
The scales are out of Cherry like the bowl itself. Finished with several coats of CA to make it waterproof.
The razor itself is on the second post along with the bowl/stand that I mentioned. Here it's just the before shots as well a a couple of in the process pics.

Attachments

• $IMG_0193.JPG
    $IMG_0193.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 102
  • $IMG_0196.JPG
    $IMG_0196.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 102
  • $IMG_0197.JPG
    $IMG_0197.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 102
  • $IMG_0211.JPG
    $IMG_0211.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 102
  • $IMG_0213.JPG
    $IMG_0213.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
And here is how it ended up. Now just buff up the pins, a final coat of wax, hone it and give it a test drive.

Attachments

• $IMG_0221.JPG
    $IMG_0221.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 99
  • $IMG_0224.JPG
    $IMG_0224.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 99
  • $IMG_0223.JPG
    $IMG_0223.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 99
  • $IMG_0214.JPG
    $IMG_0214.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Thanks guys.
Had a bit of a brain fart,, came back to the post and wondered why I wrote Jos. instead of John Holler. Duh!
@ doc226,, The final polish on the blade was with power. A regular bench grinder with compound on a cloth wheel.

Thank you all again, You're very generous with your replies.

Just an update. Honed it up and gave it a go tonight and I can tell you this. It's a GREAT shaver. I'm glad because I have another, listed as "Tower Brand" coming in very soon. I thought it needed a mate. We'll see just how that one goes. Now,, back to the Wedge I'm working on. Never had a wedgie before!

Last edited:
Top Bottom