What's new

Joris/Fatip lovers reviews and pics thread!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
17.6mm damn...

2mm doesnt sound like much, but its a lot.

"Fun", maybe in a broad use of the word lol.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
And today's shave.....

Shave 20200205

Continuing my 2020 Resolution to stop chasing BBS!

20200205_105716~2.jpg

Wednesday is Veg Day!

Prep: Splashed water on face
Pre-shave: N/A
Brush: @Graydog Backyard Maple Chubby, 26mm "Full Moon" Synthetic
Soap: Tabac
Bowl: N/A - Face Lathered
Razor: FaTip Grande MK2 (Gold)
Blade: Bolzano (2)
Post-shave: Dickinson's Hydrating Toner
Aftershave Balm: Duke Cannon w/Menthol
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Lilac Vegetal

WTG, ATG and XTG passes. Minor touch-up and buffing.

DFS++ with one weeper on the underside of my chin, no nicks, cuts or irritation.

This is a great combination of soap, brush, razor and blade. Followed by the wonderful face feel and scent of Lilac Vegetal. 😍

Remember, "Love The Veg and The Veg Will Love You".

YMMV :)

The journey continues..

sotd22022020.jpg

Today was kind of ..bumpy for the neck area (thank God for styptic) and I think this little beast will teach me the importance of angle and pressure like nothing before.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I think this little beast will teach me the importance of angle and pressure like nothing before.

Fatip OC razors are excellent teachers. You have two choices: Learn them or bleed. I bled my first 7 shaves.

The only razor I've used that is a better teacher is the MMOC.

Tried one (the Green labeled ones), found it kind of ..meh but I will give it another shot.
Astra SP seem to be the best so far but there are left to test:
GSB
VOSKHOD
Gillette Platinum
Perma Sharp
Gillette Rubie
Feather (feet like a charm on DE89 for me)
Gillette 7 o'clock Super Platinum

General fact: Lower neck area is my problem, with many red spots, regardless of the razor.
I will focus on this area by trying the 6C on plate 2 to see the outcome.
The result I get even with only WTG on cheeks and chin is outstanding with the Fatip.
My whiskers resemble that of youtuber Mauro Di Lernia (coarse) and the skin is relatively sensitive so the effectiveness of an open comb is reaping, in a good sense with less passes and pressure needed.
To give an analogy (for anyone who ever has the experience) the Fatip compared to DE89,EJ319,Rockwell 6C feel like when I got my first japanese knife compared to european ones. Meaning effortless, sharp and fitting like a glove to my hand.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
General fact: Lower neck area is my problem, with many red spots, regardless of the razor.

Angle.

My neck is difficult to shave and I need to use a very shallow angle. Think of the red line in the below picture as the level of my skin with the cap pushed into it.

Grande.Angle.JPG

As long as I stay at that angle I feel nothing and hear very little. Any steeper than that and the very edge of the blade will flex, tug and lift the skin as it cuts and I'll have weepers.

If I shave slowly enough, I can feel that happen and even hear a tiny 'ping' from the blade as a single hair is cut.

Because of that, Feather blades have moved pretty high up my list of favorite blades. That extra bit of sharpness is noticeable, but they dont last as long as other blades.

My best all around blade in my Grande would be Polsilver. They cut well, they're smooth enough out of the wrapper and get smoother with extended uses and they last a long time.

Tried one (the Green labeled ones), found it kind of ..meh but I will give it another shot.
Astra SP seem to be the best so far but there are left to test:
GSB
VOSKHOD
Gillette Platinum
Perma Sharp
Gillette Rubie
Feather (fit like a charm on DE89 for me)
Gillette 7 o'clock Super Platinum

Small update, from the above the best results so far are with Astra SP and GSB with the later feeling smoother.

I will focus on this area by trying the 6C on plate 2 to see the outcome.
The result I get even with only WTG on cheeks and chin is outstanding with the Fatip.
My whiskers resemble that of youtuber Mauro Di Lernia (coarse) and the skin is relatively sensitive so the effectiveness of an open comb is reaping, in a good sense with less passes and pressure needed.
To give an analogy (for anyone who ever has the experience) the Fatip compared to DE89,EJ319,Rockwell 6C feel like when I got my first japanese knife compared to european ones. Meaning effortless, sharp and fitting like a glove to my hand.

Angle.

My neck is difficult to shave and I need to use a very shallow angle. Think of the red line in the below picture as the level of my skin with the cap pushed into it.

So very true @Esox ! Thank you for the suggestion, indeed trying a shallower angle had reduced irritation and red spots by a lot margin though I don't yet feel comfortable reaching the level you are showing.
I admit I still get some small nicks but in general my shaves feel better.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
So very true @Esox ! Thank you for the suggestion, indeed trying a shallower angle had reduced irritation and red spots by a lot margin though I don't yet feel comfortable reaching the level you are showing.
I admit I still get some small nicks but in general my shaves feel better.

It takes time to find the correct angle/pressure combination. When you do, you wont even know theres a blade in the razor. Shave by feel and listen to the blade. You should feel very little blade but hear the hairs being cut.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
My Fatip/Joris collection as of April the 17th 2021. Here's all 32 of them.

1980's Vintage Fatip
002_26.jpg

Schone, Roedter1909, and Joris Palladium Engraved
004_25.jpg

Piccolo Mk1, Piccolo Nickel, Piccolo SE, Piccolo Lo Storto, Piccolo Chrome
005_20.jpg

Grande Mk1, Grande Nickel, Grande Chrome, Grande Lo Storto, Grande Lo Storto (spare), Grande Testina Gentile, Grande Lo Storto Gentile
008_22.jpg

Retro Mk1 Chrome, Retro Mk1 Nickel, Retro Chrome, Retro Nickel
012_24.jpg

Black Tie, Black Tie Gentile, Horn, Horn Gentile
014_24.jpg

Noce, Noce Gentile, Wenghe, Wenghe Gentile, Zebrano, Zebrano Gentile, Ulivo, Ulivo Gentile
019_1_20.jpg

1980's Vintage Fatip
View attachment 1252898

View attachment 1252899

View attachment 1252900

Grande Mk1, Grande Nickel, Grande Chrome, Grande Lo Storto, Grande Lo Storto (spare), Grande Testina Gentile, Grande Lo Storto Gentile
View attachment 1252901

View attachment 1252903

View attachment 1252904

Noce, Noce Gentile, Wenghe, Wenghe Gentile, Zebrano, Zebrano Gentile, Ulivo, Ulivo Gentile
View attachment 1252905
Do those black or horn handles get slippery when sudsy?

(Sent from mobile)

1980's Vintage Fatip
View attachment 1252898

View attachment 1252899

View attachment 1252900

View attachment 1252901

View attachment 1252903

View attachment 1252904

View attachment 1252905
Nice collection, it's always nice to know that out there; there is someone with more issues ....., I have 1/2 or 2/3 of these +- and feel guilty.... I just gave away 2 last week to my bro. He didn't want to take a slant....

Top Bottom