What's new

Jikoryen Soap stick

First shave with this Turkish stick:

Couple of days growth of my steel wire whiskers. I bowl lathered a little bit of it, for two reasons - I don’t like face lathering and I have my process down innthe bowl.

Jikoryen Stick soap
Brush - Muhle STF
Bowl - CaYuen Large Nebula
Razor - Boti 1.15 with Timeless Ti crown handle
Blade - Lord Silver Star
Splash - Lucky Tiger
Aftershave - Camamu Spirited

Lather
The smell of the lather is about the same as my earlier impression, kind of a Derby/Arko mix that is more Derby than Arko. It s not a great smell, and I think most will find it kind of like a pedestrian older barber shop scent. It made a lather easily in my large CaYuen Nebula bowl. The first lather/brush pic was after a minute or so. It does like water, so don’t skimp. The ease of lather was closer to Arko.

Performance
Classic tallow soap performance. The lather had good body, and it lasted a long time (last photo is after it sat for a half hour after the shave). It was good and slick, right below what I consider the top performers in glide. The cushion wasn’t top tier, but more towards average. It did dry a tiny bit on face, but nothing major (a bit like Arko in this area as well).

Post-Shave
I am not a big post-shave guy because I routinely shower after shaves and I use tonics and balms. I did wait awhile after the shave this time to see how the soap felt, and found that it was a bit drying on my face, but not as bad as Arko in this regard.

Overall I think this is a solid soap that is likely used by many a Turkish barber for their daily shaves. It isn’t top tier, but it is also inexpensive. I don’t love the smell, and also don’t hate it (like Arko 😉). I’m not sure if I will keep it in regular rotation. It could be a good candidate for my Frankensoap experiments. It will be interesting to hear from the other members after they get the sticks I am sending out.

I have three more sticks I would like to PIF, so please PM me to get one.View attachment 1650442View attachment 1650445View attachment 1650446what is your lather process because that is incredible!

I don’’t recall this happening with other soap, but it may have. I have been struck with a cold. Tonight I took a hot shower and began shaving the weekend growth away. The shave soap burned my nose like fire from heaven. I shaved through but man I washed it off as soon as I could.

I don’’t recall this happening with other soap, but it may have. I have been struck with a cold. Tonight I took a hot shower and began shaving the weekend growth away. The shave soap burned my nose like fire from heaven. I shaved through but man I washed it off as soon as I could.
Really weird !

Top Bottom