What's new

Jikoryen Soap stick

Look what arrived today😁

Initial impressions:

Standard 50g size
Firmness: Softer than I thought it would be, but still a “hard“ soap.
Scent: Generic Soapy, with a mild industrial lemon/citrus - think a mix between Derby and Arko.
Performance: Will shave with it this werkend and report back.

I will definitely PIF some (already have a few members lined up) as the scent s not my favorite.

Jim

Attachments

• 61D18DD0-5358-41F6-9A87-895A3A0AA655.jpeg
    61D18DD0-5358-41F6-9A87-895A3A0AA655.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 93
  • 69BECD11-E748-4F27-A314-76280C8C0440.jpeg
    69BECD11-E748-4F27-A314-76280C8C0440.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 95
  • EBECB282-93CE-4C70-9090-AA49C4C0AF08.jpeg
    EBECB282-93CE-4C70-9090-AA49C4C0AF08.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 93
  • F6E6A346-00FC-445A-AE80-ED900CC564D7.jpeg
    F6E6A346-00FC-445A-AE80-ED900CC564D7.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 99
  • 04C9100A-728F-4A48-A666-EE838E552E83.jpeg
    04C9100A-728F-4A48-A666-EE838E552E83.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 98
First shave with this Turkish stick:

Couple of days growth of my steel wire whiskers. I bowl lathered a little bit of it, for two reasons - I don’t like face lathering and I have my process down innthe bowl.

Jikoryen Stick soap
Brush - Muhle STF
Bowl - CaYuen Large Nebula
Razor - Boti 1.15 with Timeless Ti crown handle
Blade - Lord Silver Star
Splash - Lucky Tiger
Aftershave - Camamu Spirited

Lather
The smell of the lather is about the same as my earlier impression, kind of a Derby/Arko mix that is more Derby than Arko. It s not a great smell, and I think most will find it kind of like a pedestrian older barber shop scent. It made a lather easily in my large CaYuen Nebula bowl. The first lather/brush pic was after a minute or so. It does like water, so don’t skimp. The ease of lather was closer to Arko.

Performance
Classic tallow soap performance. The lather had good body, and it lasted a long time (last photo is after it sat for a half hour after the shave). It was good and slick, right below what I consider the top performers in glide. The cushion wasn’t top tier, but more towards average. It did dry a tiny bit on face, but nothing major (a bit like Arko in this area as well).

Post-Shave
I am not a big post-shave guy because I routinely shower after shaves and I use tonics and balms. I did wait awhile after the shave this time to see how the soap felt, and found that it was a bit drying on my face, but not as bad as Arko in this regard.

Overall I think this is a solid soap that is likely used by many a Turkish barber for their daily shaves. It isn’t top tier, but it is also inexpensive. I don’t love the smell, and also don’t hate it (like Arko 😉). I’m not sure if I will keep it in regular rotation. It could be a good candidate for my Frankensoap experiments. It will be interesting to hear from the other members after they get the sticks I am sending out.

I have three more sticks I would like to PIF, so please PM me to get one.
E08BC58B-96D3-4B2E-BC48-EC076DA3EDFD.jpeg
9FB5E15A-770B-44DF-99FA-69E7A0EE32C1.jpeg
64EDCABD-D494-4DBC-8ABC-671335C06363.jpeg

Nice review and pick’s.

From the sounds of it. I’m guessing I’ll probably like it. Since I like both Arko and Derby sticks.

First shave with this Turkish stick:

Couple of days growth of my steel wire whiskers. I bowl lathered a little bit of it, for two reasons - I don’t like face lathering and I have my process down innthe bowl.

Jikoryen Stick soap
Brush - Muhle STF
Bowl - CaYuen Large Nebula
Razor - Boti 1.15 with Timeless Ti crown handle
Blade - Lord Silver Star
Splash - Lucky Tiger
Aftershave - Camamu Spirited

Lather
The smell of the lather is about the same as my earlier impression, kind of a Derby/Arko mix that is more Derby than Arko. It s not a great smell, and I think most will find it kind of like a pedestrian older barber shop scent. It made a lather easily in my large CaYuen Nebula bowl. The first lather/brush pic was after a minute or so. It does like water, so don’t skimp. The ease of lather was closer to Arko.

Performance
Classic tallow soap performance. The lather had good body, and it lasted a long time (last photo is after it sat for a half hour after the shave). It was good and slick, right below what I consider the top performers in glide. The cushion wasn’t top tier, but more towards average. It did dry a tiny bit on face, but nothing major (a bit like Arko in this area as well).

Post-Shave
I am not a big post-shave guy because I routinely shower after shaves and I use tonics and balms. I did wait awhile after the shave this time to see how the soap felt, and found that it was a bit drying on my face, but not as bad as Arko in this regard.

Overall I think this is a solid soap that is likely used by many a Turkish barber for their daily shaves. It isn’t top tier, but it is also inexpensive. I don’t love the smell, and also don’t hate it (like Arko 😉). I’m not sure if I will keep it in regular rotation. It could be a good candidate for my Frankensoap experiments. It will be interesting to hear from the other members after they get the sticks I am sending out.

I have three more sticks I would like to PIF, so please PM me to get one.View attachment 1650442View attachment 1650445View attachment 1650446
I would Love to try it !!!! PM was sent earlier...

Last edited:
I love it. It is better than my long-term favorite (before now) - the Timeless bowl. The CaYuen bowls are lather-monsters. If a person can't get an amazing lather with them, I'm afraid they will with no other bowl.

Thanks to Zora's generous PIF, I received my stick yesterday and used it this morning. It's soft, easily pushed down into a twist up container with the center rod.
It does smell like a mix of Arko and Derby, certainly more "industrial" than Arko.
It was very easy to rub on my whiskers, and lathered up as easy as Arko. Slickness was very good.
I shaved with a RazoRock Hawk V3 with a Schick Proline blade. Gteat smooth shave, no nicks cuts or weepers, and no aftershave burn when I applied Clubman Lime Sec.
I would say this is a great budget soap except for the lack of availability.

I got my stick a few days ago and shaved with it today.

The comments above about it are very similar to my experience with it.

It’s a slightly softer soap than Arko that rubbed on my face easily.

Might cut back my water amount on the next shave as I didn’t get as dense lather as I get from Arko and Derby.

I think the blade I used in my Gillette black beauty may be ready for replacement. As I did a 3 pass shave with touch up’s. But didn’t get as close of shave as I normally do.

Maybe being a fresh stick and all. But it’s very similar to Derby scent wise. But a couple of notches up on the strength.

The face feel from this stick may be better than Arko and Derby. Kind of a powdery slick feel to me. No irritation or reaction, which is something I always worry about. When trying a new shave soap

First shave with this stick was a positive experience. But next time I’ll use a slightly damper brush to start out with and add more water as I go. To build my lather.

Thanks to Zora for letting me give this soap a try 👍

I also was PiFed a stick by the OP. Having used it with a DE, GEM, straight, and cart like Leaf razor I am happy to agree that this is indeed a fine soap. I would not put it in my top tier for the reason that it is a more simple soap without all the nourishing additives. It's definitely in a different league than something like B&M, but it is also a fraction of the cost. I can't comment on the post feel as I used a balm after each shave.

It is very similar to Arko. I'm not a fan of the scent and having it stored partly open in my medicine cabinet I can clearly smell it when I visit the sink. I imagine that after a few weeks of being open the scent will fade---I do this to Arko and Tabac.

The performance is very good. Easy, stable, and full lather was quickly produced. One day a couple of hours after shaving my wife laughed and pointed out that I still had some lather hidden behind my ear. Copious and stout lather indeed. I would treat this stick and Arko the same. Arko's only real advantage is its current wider availability giving it a slightly cheaper price. I agree that Arko produced more and denser lather, but not by much.

I can honestly say that this stick performed better than some much more higher priced soaps from established shaving soap makers.

Thanks @Zora

Thanks to ZORA's generosity I had my premiere shave this morning with Jikoryen. Very potent aroma , but I would say this may be due to the extreme freshness of the stick. Certainly, in the Turkish tradition, we have the industrial white laundry powder scent , but with a citrus top note. It's a different citrus note than with Derby , more like a synthetic " lemon cream " type scent . It's very malleable ,just like GZD Berber sticks were . Loads of thick lather , great shave ,
IMG_1036.JPG
however there was the drying sensation after the shave but not as bad as Derby or Arko .

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Thanks to ZORA's generosity I had my premiere shave this morning with Jikoryen. Very potent aroma , but I would say this may be due to the extreme freshness of the stick. Certainly, in the Turkish tradition, we have the industrial white laundry powder scent , but with a citrus top note. It's a different citrus note than with Derby , more like a synthetic " lemon cream " type scent . It's very malleable ,just like GZD Berber sticks were . Loads of thick lather , great shave , View attachment 1655368 however there was the drying sensation after the shave but not as bad as Derby or Arko .

The Jikoryen arrived about three weeks earlier than expected so I used it this morning. ARKO has been my go to soap for quite some time now and I didn't expect it to be bested but it now has a very strong contender. It is a bit early to actually pick the winner but I believe I prefer it to ARKO. The slickness was impressive and the lathering was absolutely great. The scent, like ARKO was strong industrial but like ARKO I expect it to fade rapidly and I could care less about a soaps scent in any case. I never was a "soap guy". I've tried most of the classics but none have proved to be any better than ARKO functionally. In any case, Thanks for pointing this out; I'm going to really enjoy it.

Top Bottom