What's new

Jeez, it's just no contest...

I'm going on a three-week trip around Europe next month, and I am doing the "one bag, no checked baggage" thing, to simplify and wonderfulify things, so I couldn't chuck my normal SE blades in my bag. After a search around here, I found that Bic Sensitives were amongst the top rated disposable razors, so I picked up a package.

This morning I decided to try one out to see what I'll be working with. My technique has gotten scores better since I've made the move to wetshaving, but it did feel very strange to use this almost weightless papery plastic thing to shave with, supplying my own pressure instead of using the heft of my favorite OMSs (Olde Metal Shavers). Listening to the strange little feedback, I did a few passes until I no longer heard hairs being cut, and felt my face.

Ack, I was scarcely shaved. I didn't want to try another pass with more pressure, as my time with other single-blade razors told me that was the wrong road to go down. Frustrated, I lathered up a final time and picked up my Gem G-Bar. One easy pass, and I had had my DFS, with substantial comfort and control gains. It was enough to make one laugh.

Luckily, I've just found out that my traveling companion plans to check a bag throughout the trip, so I can slip a pack of Pellas into his rollie and call it a day. *whew*

I feel like a big primadonna now, how can I *possibly* get by without a spectacular shave every day? hehehehe

Do you know where you're staying in Europe?

FedEx your razor and some blades there. FedEx them back before you return home.

I make the mistake of assuming that others feel like I do.
I would love to wander into shops around Europe in desperate need of a razor.

Oh, you can rest assured that if I have downtime in any areas with compelling junk/antique shops, I *will* be looking around, anyhow :) I'm remembering a crazy awesome weekend flea market I attended in Berlin a couple of years ago that would be just the place to find such things. I might need to visit again now that this new obsession is in place. :)

I make the mistake of assuming that others feel like I do.
I would love to wander into shops around Europe in desperate need of a razor.

No, what I meant was that as difficult as it is to find usable razors at antique shops here in the States, it is even harder to find them in Europe. Most Europeans do not have the same pack-rat mentality as do Americans. Most used razors were disposed of after use ended. Those that didn't were not wanted by the antique shops. That is the main reason why a hundred times more razors are found on U.S. eBay than are found on European versions.

Top Bottom