What's new

Jaded?

As I sit here, backing up my cell phone, I decided to look at EBay for just about anything that would provide a few minutes of amusement. As it would turn out, I searched for safety razors and perused the offerings. After 7 years of DE shaving, I can honestly say that the review shows me a lot about myself. Of all the razors available, I saw some that, seven years ago, I hunted for in earnest. Today, it appears that the availability has improved much.

Do I still DE shave? Absolutely! Do I enjoy it? Immensely! I do own a few disposable twin blades, they are simply much too easy when on the road. Blades? Basically unchanged from my last post on B&B about blades many moons ago: Viking Sword, Wilkinson Sword (German), Feather, 7 O'clock green and black, VDH in a pinch. Soap? VDH. Cream: C.O. Bigelow. Brush: 2 really good Silvertip badger brushes that fit my hand well.

Admittedly, my review of Ebay was a lot like: "got it, got it, had it and sold it (3 different Gillette adjustables), wanted it (but now only barely motivated enough to actually click on the slant's listing), still don't want it, got it, got it,..."

What do I take away? DE shaving is something I will do the rest of my life, so long as I can drag a razor across my own face. My blade choices are ones I am very very content with. My desire to find a better shaver is dead, killed by sufficiently developed skill that whichever razor I decide to shave with this month will give me a dependable CCS with ease and a BBS on Sunday with a little more effort. I'm also content with the SAS on weekends (double pass, WTG).

I have found that place that happens with mastery of a skill. In the early days, cuts were plentiful. Now, I can't remember the last one. DE shaving is wonderful, something each AM I do for myslef, a little extra time for me in starting my day. The razor is my friend, the blade is a conquered adversary that now behaves exactly as expected.

I wish all of you as much happiness in your shave dens.

I can relate to this somewhat. Vintage Gillettes used to be my great passion. I didn't think there was any point to buying new razors. I swore by certain blades and had zero interest in the others.

But then the boredom set in. So I went out and got 4 brand new razors and a bunch of blades I had no clue about. Today I shaved with a Merkur Progress and a friggin Derby Extra! Jadedness caused me to broaden my horizons and to get results I never expected, very different from the shaves I've had for the past year and a half.

I wonder if 2021 will see me doing what I said I'd never do and buy a razor over $100. Will I buy a Charcoal Goods with the bee on it? Will I get on a waiting list for a Wolfman? Boredom can make you do an about face from who you thought you were.

I know this feeling well. When I first started DE shaving I wanted to learn and try everything. I've learned what works best for me, and sold off the rest. I'll still DE shave for the rest of my life, but the obsession is over. I'm not a collector, and I don't view shaving as a hobby. I was just looking for the best and most efficient shave I could get. The RAD is cured!

I know this feeling well. When I first started DE shaving I wanted to learn and try everything. I've learned what works best for me, and sold off the rest. I'll still DE shave for the rest of my life, but the obsession is over. I'm not a collector, and I don't view shaving as a hobby. I was just looking for the best and most efficient shave I could get. The RAD is cured!
Congratulations!

Top Bottom