What's new

Jacques Herbin vs J. Herbin inks

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I enjoy J Herbin inks, but have not tried any of their non-shimmer premium inks. After numerous Google searches, I cannot find anything that has spelled out the difference between their premium line and their regular line of inks. Unless I've overlooked it, even their website does not differentiate why their premium line is better than the regular line. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge on the matter?

The 'premium' lines are all special edition that supposedly have some historical significance to the company in the names. They were all released on special occasions like a yearly special release or as an anniversary edition. There are short notes on why for each in the actual product descriptions. They are a little wetter and have a lot more dye in them. They are gorgeous on paper and a pleasure to write with, but they can be a bear to clean. Rouge Hematite has literally turned some of my converters permanently pink. Many of them have a sheening quality to them in addition to the metallic addition.

The "le perle de encres" is their standard line the names are all derivative from the color and a little bit dryer feel when writing compared to the ones noted above. Still fantastic inks, just without all the extra bells and whistles.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
They are a little wetter and have a lot more dye in them.

Thanks. That's exactly what information I was looking for, and what I suspected.

They are gorgeous on paper and a pleasure to write with, but they can be a bear to clean. Rouge Hematite has literally turned some of my converters permanently pink.

Wow. Thanks for the word of caution. For some reason, it bugs me when an ink stains one of my converters, even if the pen is not a demonstrator.

Many of them have a sheening quality to them in addition to the metallic addition.

I have a bottle of Caroube de Chypre and Emerald of Chivor. The sheen qualities, more than the shimmer, were what drew me to them.

The "le perle de encres" is their standard line the names are all derivative from the color and a little bit dryer feel when writing compared to the ones noted above. Still fantastic inks, just without all the extra bells and whistles.

I agree. I have nine bottles of their le perle de encres inks. While, there are a number of inks that I prefer to them, they are possibly my overall favorite inks when factoring price, performance, colors, and gentleness on pens.

Top Bottom