What's new

Stubble: I cannot evenly get a 1mm length, what implement do I need?

I always find that when I clean shave and let it grow out for ~3 days, it looks far, far superior to using a beard trimmer without a comb (or with a short comb setting, which is even worse). The trimmer always produces patches and uneven results regardless of technique or trimmer used. I want it perfectly even but growing it out that way is my only choice right now.

I keep thinking there has to be a better way to get even stubble (~1mm in my case), also given that I see plenty of men in media and in person with perfectly even stubble and I doubt they grow it/time it that way!

I just bought Supply Co's Pro model as it's adjustable up to 0.7mm, but it's useless for what I need as it doesn't use a comb or other blocking mechanism and presents even greater angle-dependence than a trimmer. There would be no way to steadily hold the razor for even length the whole way around (clean shave, sure, but not this).

Are there rotary razors or straight/safety ones with variable length combs that would fit the bill? (I feel a rotary one, which flexes to the contour of the face, might ensure the least angle-dependence.) Something else I’m missing here?

I really appreciate your help!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Hello! For uniform beard care, you could try the Wahl stainless beard trimmer kit.

1663915086823.png

Or

1663915488366.png

You could just get the Wahl Magic Clips if you want an all around beard and hair trimmer kit. I have the cordless model, works great for me

A straight trimmer like that won't work (believe me, I've tried.) It all comes down to geometry. As I hit the jawline, for example (or even puff out my cheek a bit too much), it changes the angle the skin hits the straight comb and teeth. Even a slight increase or decrease in skin-to-blade distance yields uneven stubble. Just think of a ruler pressed against a table edge at a 45 degree angle and you see the issue. I was hoping to find a rotary razor with adjustable length, up to 1mm or longer, as the heads conform to the contour of the skin and so, the theory goes, rounding the edges and whatnot would result in a more even trim. Or maybe something entirely different of which I'm not thinking.

I would think a foil would do it, but I am too lazy to see if any come with guards. It should be foolproof as the cutter is always the same distance from the foil regardless of angle.

Maybe... And this is just spitballing... Maybe those people you see shave everyday *three days in the past* so that they perpetually have even stubble...

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Unfortunately, the human face is not a flat surface, so any tool must be practiced to overcome various angle changes.
Even our skin is elastic, and putting a tool on the face or pressing down is enough to make a difference.

Barbers can use eletric hair clippers such as WAHL to achieve uniform hair length and even make various gradient changes, precisely because they have enough practice.

Last edited:
@BigBrother, I've never used one, but that is what the Philips OneBlade purports to do. It even has combs for different lengths. I'm just going by the ads that have been served up to me, perhaps worth a look.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
@BigBrother, I've never used one, but that is what the Philips OneBlade purports to do. It even has combs for different lengths. I'm just going by the ads that have been served up to me, perhaps worth a look.

I don’t have a beard, but I do use the one blade as a body hair trimmer. If the guard measurements are to be more precise when cutting, they have to be used going with the grain or direction of the hair.

I won’t use a razor on arm or leg hair as it will leave a very painful prickly rash for quite a few days, so I use the Oneblade and the guards instead to just make the hair shorter instead of going for smooth shaved.

My legs and arms I will use the 2mm guard and groom with the growth of the hair to get that 2mm. But if I used the same 2mm guards went against the grain or growth of the hair, it actually will leave only 1mm hair length. So half of what the actual guard is. I can imagine if some one used a 1mm guard on their beard or face and used the trimmer going back and forth, I could see where it would/could be uneven also.

Top Bottom