What's new

Its a Stomper

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
First of all let me say that I won this razor in a competition. But that will no way effect this review, if I'm not happy about something you'll know.

This is my first SE safety razor, so I have no other razors to compere it to.

The Razor. Is titanium and made by Shield. It is polished to a high standard with no tool marks visible. The only place that is not polished is under to top cap. The fit and finish is perfect as far as I can tell. The blade is firmly clamped with no sign of alignment issues. In the hand this razor feels very good. I wasn't sure if I would like the weight of titanium or not, but lucky for me I do. Loading this razor is easy. My first shave I used the blades that came free ( Derby Premium) these are half DE blades which do not need to be cut or snapped snapped in half, because of this they are very easy to load. They also gave me a DFS+++ shave with two passes plus a few touch ups. The second shave I used a Nacet snapped in half. I quickly realised that if the blade is loaded the the raised corner face down its use as easy to load as the half DE blade's. The Nacet blade made the shave even better BBS with two passes and very little pick ups. Both shaves were possibly the smoothest shaves I've had to date without irritation. The only thing I can fault about this razor is I find it difficult to remove the blade after the shave. This could be operator error as I'm not used to this system. The knerlling on the handle could be a bit deeper. I find it fine with wet hands but not to good with soapy hands. The razor came with a free stand and 100 Derby Premium blades.

This razor for me is a no brainer. A solid titanium razor, well built, good quality fit and finished, oh and did I mention its got a free stand.

Yip you've guessed it this will be my daily driver.

So thanks once again to Phil and all the folks @BullGoose.

20230827_205134.jpg

Last edited:

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
Really nice, congrats! Perma-Sharps come in half blades, I get them on ebay from Turkiye where they are marketed for barbers(obviously). Hope to see more of your impressions in the future.
I just checked. The only ones I can see, seem a bit pricey.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
7 per 100, hang on...
It is downright spooky searching for blades on ebay UK, guess they are still banned!?
Looking for blades in the UK is a bit like looking for taxi at 2am on a Saturday to get home outside a pub.

Why bother with factory half blades? Snapping blades in half is easy enough and offers a much wider range of blades.

Now, what I really don't understand is why the head on razors like this and similar (e.g., stando prowe) aren't more trimmed down. Clearly a bit of material around the threaded stem and opening for it on the baseplate are needed. However, it appears that the whole back portion of the top cap and base plate that doesn't make contact with the blade can go.

Maybe it is the TI here, but if a zinc head like the one on the twig is stable enough with these portions gone, then surely it must be possible with stainless steel.

Can you show the clamping mechanism? SubieShaves said it was good, but he didn't show it. More rigid than a Twig?

As to factory singles vs snapped- there is a real risk in creating and handling snapped blades, or just handling blades in general. I would want my wife or kids to have the lowest risk if they are to handle razors. I can accept the risk for me, but some people I know have a bad track record with blades. I learned my lesson when I was 5. Some people never learn.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
Why bother with factory half blades? Snapping blades in half is easy enough and offers a much wider range of blades.

Now, what I really don't understand is why the head on razors like this and similar (e.g., stando prowe) aren't more trimmed down. Clearly a bit of material around the threaded stem and opening for it on the baseplate are needed. However, it appears that the whole back portion of the top cap and base plate that doesn't make contact with the blade can go.

Maybe it is the TI here, but if a zinc head like the one on the twig is stable enough with these portions gone, then surely it must be possible with stainless steel.
I cant say why this razor is designed like it is. Maybe it as to do with weight distribution. A thinner top cap would maybe spoil the near perfect balance. This is just a guess.

As for snapping the blades in half. I totally agree it's easy to do. My first few months of wet shaving I used a half DE shavette. So I'm well used to snapping blades. But it just so happens that Permasharps and Nacets are my favourite blades. So it makes sense to me to buy the half blades 😉.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
Can you show the clamping mechanism? SubieShaves said it was good, but he didn't show it. More rigid than a Twig?

As to factory singles vs snapped- there is a real risk in creating and handling snapped blades, or just handling blades in general. I would want my wife or kids to have the lowest risk if they are to handle razors. I can accept the risk for me, but some people I know have a bad track record with blades. I learned my lesson when I was 5. Some people never learn.
Is this OK. Let me know if you need any more.

20230828_090625.jpg

I have a Rocnel SE-P and really like it but it is a little bit aggressive for my daily shave routine. With your comments I thing Shield can be good for me.

Top Bottom