What's new

Italian Pizza News

Exactly. Turns out Italians do not like pineapple on their pizza. (I don't actually mind it, but that is for a different thread.)

Sometime in the past there must have been some entrepreneur who looked at Newcastle and thought, "what this place needs is more coal, and coal of an inferior quality." But history does not recall his name.

What is next for Italy, Olive Garden?

This restores my faith in justice!

Turns out most Italians don't give a fig about pizza in the first place.
Hmmmm. Citations, please, for that! :)

I have no idea. I read an article recently that went on a length about how much Neapolitans care about pizza and just how much they consume, apparently all day long. I do not really know whether pizza is native to all of Italy. It seemed to be everywhere I have been in the country, but that is not everywhere. And some places it seems more like reheatable bar food than a special presentation.

My impressions from various sources, including my brother-in-law's in-laws is that Italians care a whole lot about food, especially anything called Italian food, and I love them for it!

In the great order of things between Roman Thin Crust and Chicago Deep Dish where falls Dominos? I have to confess that I never had the chance/misfortune to visit either Pizza Hut or Dominos so did I miss something?

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
As a kid I was obsessed with this place.

Pizza & Pipes.

145448776_10223714811799814_79268009850192758_n.jpg

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
In the great order of things between Roman Thin Crust and Chicago Deep Dish where falls Dominos? I have to confess that I never had the chance/misfortune to visit either Pizza Hut or Dominos so did I miss something?
Consider yourself lucky you never tried Pizza Slut; the only pizza lower on the food chain is Little Caesars (sp?), that is just terrible, or so it was the list time I had it, maybe 20 years ago. Domino's was fairly good back in the 70-80s, went straight to Hades after that, then got tolerable in the last 5 years or so, but still not as good as almost any independent pizza parlor in my area.
Subway pizza is one of my favorites.

No, not the sub chain, a small pizza place in Harrisburg since I was a wee small lad, at least as far back as the early '50s.

Consider yourself lucky you never tried Pizza Slut; the only pizza lower on the food chain is Little Caesars (sp?), that is just terrible, or so it was the list time I had it, maybe 20 years ago. Domino's was fairly good back in the 70-80s, went straight to Hades after that, then got tolerable in the last 5 years or so, but still not as good as almost any independent pizza parlor in my area.
Subway pizza is one of my favorites.

No, not the sub chain, a small pizza place in Harrisburg since I was a wee small lad, at least as far back as the early '50s.
The first time I heard here in Europe about Domino‘s was in a watch forum. There are company branded Rolex around that were quite collectible at that time…

Last edited:
You mean as far as style/thickness? Very American in the middle I would say. Round, not square. Not deep dish, but not thin. Same style as a random purchase from a grocery store freezer, I would say.

Pretty bad, as captp says, although to my tastes there is a lot of bad pizza in the world. Commercial grade. It may have better than Pizza Hut for a time. I do not know Little Ceasar's (sp?). Same general genre though. They did seem to make a big deal of delivering.

I saw that.

Their 7.99 large thin 3 topper is edible when hot and paired with a high RPM, low IQ movie as S/TWMBO is gone for the evening and/or you are feeding pre teen aged hoards. Other than that, not so much.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Hmmmm. Citations, please, for that! :)

I have no idea. I read an article recently that went on a length about how much Neapolitans care about pizza and just how much they consume, apparently all day long. I do not really know whether pizza is native to all of Italy. It seemed to be everywhere I have been in the country, but that is not everywhere. And some places it seems more like reheatable bar food than a special presentation.

My impressions from various sources, including my brother-in-law's in-laws is that Italians care a whole lot about food, especially anything called Italian food, and I love them for it!
And even if Dominos did make a decent pizza, the locals tend to want to support local businesses (something we in the US could do a better job of).

Top Bottom