What's new

Israeli Crystals

Looks like certain razors like certain blades. EJDE89L is a bad combination with the IP, if you have another razor try using that one. Not all razors like all blades... I dont know what it is but its true. Samething with the Dorco St300, goes bad with other razor and only good with Merkur HD.. Who knows!

IF you do try, give us your feedback. I guess also that is why Sampler Blade Packs exist for this same reason. :)...

I'm not wild about the Crystals either. I will use up what came with the sampler, but I won't buy them again. The Red IP's and Derby's work great for me. Just shows that one man's trash is another man's treasure. That's why there always should be more than one choice of just about everything. I wouldn't want to go through life with just one beer.

As I recall they seemed to be OK with my HD, but every time i use them with my slant, they irritate my face. I thought I had bad technique the first time so I went back to them a few weeks later. It is definitely the blade. I wont be using that combo again.

I've tried the Crystals a few times and can't say I like them all that well. With my very limited experience I prefer the Personna Red and the Derby Extras over the Crystals any day. I just tried one again tonight in a DE89L and while the shave was acceptable by most standards it wasn't nearly as comfortable as the Personnas.

I just ordered another 100 crystals. Well, I got 100 red pack personnas a few weeks ago, wcs was out of crystals at the time. My experience is usually quite well but I swear they tend to smooth out during the first shave. Then shaves 2, 3, and 4 do just fine. I like the crystals and the red pack personnas! Thanks for sharing. Enjoy!

Last edited:
I have found the Crystals work great in my Merkur Progress, and not well at all in my various vintage Gillettes-go figure!? It seems as if the blade/razor combination is one of those really big variables in wet shaving.

I am very new to wet shaving, but I had the same experience with Crystals.
I have had 5 ok shaves with shark chromes and 2 terrible shaves with a Crystal.
Weepers, burns, irritations and I had to give my face some time off!
I have read many positive reviews but I guess it just proves that each person needs to find the right blade and razor combo for their face.
I am still trying other blades. I had planned on 5 shaves with each brand of blade but I could not bring myself to try the Crystal again.

Beemerscreemer

I had planned on 5 shaves with each brand of blade but I could not bring myself to try the Crystal again.

Beemerscreemer
Out of 20+ different blades that I've tested, I've found a grand total of 4 that will give me 5 shaves--Kai, Big Ben Super Stainless, Super Iridium Extra Stainless, and Wilkinson Sword Premium Chromium. I've found several that consistently give 4 shaves, and even more that will give me 3 shaves.

I'm not wild about the Crystals either. I will use up what came with the sampler, but I won't buy them again. The Red IP's and Derby's work great for me. Just shows that one man's trash is another man's treasure. That's why there always should be more than one choice of just about everything. I wouldn't want to go through life with just one beer.

Amen to that. I never could find a Derby that didn't rip me up.

I just got through with my third DE shave. I am using a 1966 Gillette Ball End Tech. I started with Israeli Crystal Super Platinums. I have Eqyptian Shark Super Stainless and Russian Super Iridiums to try next.

Last edited:
I'm noticing it's also important to have a lather that provides good cushion. Some of my cremes and soaps do better than others in that arena, or i don't always do the right thing at the right time when making the lather maybe. Just a recent observation or thought. Good lather always helps do a better shave.

Top Bottom